What's new
What's new

Van Norman Machinery - Model and Function?

tipsyskipper

Plastic
Hey there,

5dffd052f8a89eb5d3d015cdd9063f3f.jpg

Just wondering if any of you have an idea what model of Van Norman machinery this may be and it’s function. Is this a milling machine missing it’s milling head? This has been sitting in front of a tool company for several months at least and I pass by it regularly. Have given thought to inquiring about obtaining it.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a horizontal mill, not sure of model#, plenty of info on Vintage Machinery to identify it. Not missing the head, but it is missing the handwheels and ???. Stop in and talk to owner, bet it can be had cheap enough.

Can't tell the size from that photo, but it's a #2 or #3 sized horizontal mill. Quite decently made, no idea about the condition of that particular one, and parts are basically unobtanium. Standard NMTB50 taper, so tooling is trivial to come by.

While I like horizontal mills, it's probably not the first/only mill to get for your shop, given that you didn't recognize it as a horizontal mill.

Can't tell the size from that photo, but it's a #2 or #3 sized horizontal mill. Quite decently made, no idea about the condition of that particular one, and parts are basically unobtanium. Standard NMTB50 taper, so tooling is trivial to come by.

While I like horizontal mills, it's probably not the first/only mill to get for your shop, given that you didn't recognize it as a horizontal mill.

That’s fair. I’ve got no shame in admitting I’ve got next to zero experience with this stuff. But I want to learn. That’s why I’m here. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precision milling machine with powerful 1.4 kW or 2.0 kW main drive motors, for hobby model building craft workshop industry

Doozer, the VN horizontal mills were numbered conventionally like 2 and 3 (actually, stuff like 2S, 2M, etc), rather than the 2X/3X numbering of the ram mills. It is a good bet that the horizontal saddles & knees shared a bunch of parts with the ram mills, but while I've got several sales brochures for the horizontals, I don't have any of the operator manuals with exploded parts diagrams to be sure.

Back