Login to Your Account
    Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Vector Milling Machine

Hi All,

I'm new to the site so I apologise if this is in the wrong forum...

I've found a Taiwanese-made milling machine that I need to restore, but problem is: I can't find ANY info on the VECTOR brand! I assume this is just a carbon copy of a more well-known brand and is probably sold under many different names, but I can't identify it.

Has anyone seen something similar, or know where I might look for information about how this machine goes together?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img-20200122-wa0006.jpg   img-20200122-wa0008.jpg   img-20200122-wa0007.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't think you will find anything about this machine. Appears to be an import knock off that was branded at the receiving dock. Common for a lot of the Chinese/Taiwan knockoff's. Repair parts other than common items like bearings will most likely be unavailable. Need something you will have to make it.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a Bridgeport owned by one of the Blue man group....

4. Likes JohnEvans liked this post
    Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm pretty sure the guy who sold it was Papa Smurf.

It'll be getting a smurfing good strip and repaint though, don't worry about that

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    Don't think you will find anything about this machine. Appears to be an import knock off that was branded at the receiving dock. Common for a lot of the Chinese/Taiwan knockoff's. Repair parts other than common items like bearings will most likely be unavailable. Need something you will have to make it.

Tom
    Thanks Tom

Maybe I should start by saying I'm a complete novice when it comes to milling machines, and this is the first mill I'll be getting (not new to lathe work and machining in general, just couldn't afford a big mill until now).

I don't mind re-making parts at all; that's actual the only way possible in my neck of the woods due to high cost of spare parts.

There are just a few small bits and bobs on the machine that are missing that I'll need to know how are put together before I can make them. It's not an old mill (2004) and the major parts are in reasonable condition.

Was hoping someone would recognise the overall layout and be able to tell me what similar Taiwanese machines I could look at, hopefully one with a decent service manual!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bridgeport clone, very useful machine with good capabilities for light to medium milling and drilling.
    Plenty of literature out there and here are two sources:

Bridgeport Factory Literature

Bridgeport Milling Machine Parts Diagrams Series IJ and 2J

If it is an exact copy of a Bridgeport then parts are available.

j-head-1.jpgj-head-explode.jpgstep-pulley-partial-view-.jpgj-head-hi-low.jpgbridgeport-step-pulley.jpg
    Regards, John

8. Likes MR_Rose liked this post
    Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks John - just what I'm after