A51nx's and MMC - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A51nx's and MMC

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that really a stack of pallets in front of the tool changer doors? Goodness gracious...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pics look good................for now

What's on top of the chip conveyor?

Doesn't look like a stack of pallets to me, maybe tombstone bases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I stuck the air dryer on the top of the chip conveyer. The stack is tombstone bases, all 38 of them. Were building tombstones and fixtures. Figure it will be running product mid December!!! Really learned allot on the other horizontals fixture wise. These fixtures will take some time, but there going to be built allot different and as bullet proof as possible.

4. Likes Edster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like they mistakenly installed some 30 hp spindle motors on the coolant tank! Looks good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty cool stuff. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous. I'd also be lying if I said I wouldn't mind the payments if I had mills like that. Good luck to you sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The payments do sting a bit, but it's going to be sooo worth it. ROI is impressive

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cross View Post
    Really? You left the spindle speed the same and just cranked up the feed double? There is some missing info there...
    The HPlus 300 is a 10hp continuous spindle, and the A51nx is 30hp continuous, so there's a pretty big gap. The original a51s were around 10-15hp though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Seekins View Post
    The payments do sting a bit, but it's going to be sooo worth it. ROI is impressive
    That MMC is gonna:

10. Likes dstryr, Tank, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is your AR line the reason for the new setup?

12. Likes dstryr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How long do they anticipate shutting you down to convert the front end for the MMC? Be sure to attach pictures of the MMC as it comes together. I'd love to see the progress!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are going to a MMC for a few reasons. to be perfectly honest, the main one is because of lack of talented employees available to higher. With 2 pallet system machines it takes more than 1 guy with some smarts to run it per shift. Simple things that most of us can fix and get running quickly become "machine down, i need help" more often than not. We have never ever ever had any product in stock. This year was stupidly busy and its just getting back to normal now. We ran 24/7 with 3 horizontals and 6 other machines that never shut off. We found the short comings of our setup and the Makino MMC, the way its setup with eliminate most all of them. Im sure it will come with its own quirks, but.. We never had super good luck with the tool breakage on the matts. Partly our fault im sure, partly poor training and partly the NC4 laser itself. Moving into the new building is giving me a chance to do it over, and do it correctly off the bat so thats what im doing.

Im not sure how long they will take to put this machine into the MMC, but they are going to have allot more help than they want if they tell me its going to take a week they said 4-5 weeks to assemble the MMC and the one machine. Just a day or 2 to put the other machine into it. Ill find out mid December!

15. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a nice looking machine Glen! Looking forward to seeing the MMC come together and a go pro video would be sick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fantastic stuff, congratulations and best of luck. Certainly gives a bit of hope to see some guys moving forward like that.

Should give you enough time to have it all going well and building inventory before the next election

18. Likes dstryr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I heard it's time for another update.

20. Likes dstryr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

22. Likes alliancefab, jid2, Mstcnc, Joe788 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK! sheesh

Update is ... I almost screwed up big time! and because of it my building is behind 2 weeks, so i had to delay the MMC and second machine delivery until Dec 20! It was scheduled to deliver Dec 9!!

Heres the mess i created... I ordered the building a few months before deciding to change machinery. When i spec'd out the shop i measured the existing building and went a foot higher (don't laugh yet) because the huge vertical broach i have is close to max height. Figured if your building, go bigger, taller, stronger than you figure you need and make it exactly how you want. The last thing i want is to know in advance that im going to walk out into the shop and say "i sure wish i would have".Well... that's all good in theory, but a 20' wall doesn't mean 20' clearance under the beam!!! The existing building has a 19' wall height and the beams are 24" thick so i have 17' clearance. I figured well go 20' wall and that will give me 18' head room worst case. What i did not account for is the fact that the existing building is free span of 60' and the new building is 100'.... Soooo the new beams hung down 4' effectively giving me 16' head room at the wall. Still, im OK with existing machinery. (don't laugh yet) The broach is just under 16' and who would ever figure a machine (or in this case the MMC) would be taller than that??? Ya, not me cause my Makino MMC is 17.4' tall!! It would still fit but have to go right down the center of the shop, and that is not what i had planned and certainly don't want. When i started i figured im going to build it exactly how i want the first time (i know, we all say that) and by golly im not letting this stop me! Little bit of fab, few feet of welding, sweet talking the structural engineer and i now have 22' tall walls cause that's all lift the engineer would approve. Any for a bonus my wife is happy cause she wanted a 2' rock border all the way around the shop. Just so happens im about 2 ft short on tin, so i got that going for me

Next Sunday i fly to mason for 3 days to train up on the MMC and configure all of the options.

Ahhhhh the joys of owning a business. they just never stop giving!

24. Likes hfo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is amazing all the small details that one has to think of when doing big projects. The rock boarder will look nicer anyway.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Uh, how does this 17'4ft machine travel on the highway (oversize load) and How Tall Are The Doors?

In any case, you've bit Bryan's rule of shops again "No matter what you do, how you plan, it will be too smalll..."

27. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a erector set of bar stock, so im pretty sure it wont travel at 17' tall. Google Makino MMC and you can see some pics of the pallets system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How's the building coming, I'm sure it's like -100F there so progress should be just ripping along.

30. Likes SND, Machinist8100 liked this post