What's new
What's new

Ke-55 1993

Jankkamp

Plastic
Ke-55 1994 helical interpolation problems

Hello fairly new to real cncs still in tech school. Used to mangling tree carcasses on cnc router but that stuff is fairly easy. Anyways I purchased the mill (ke-55 1994) for just under a year of tech school tuition. Seemed like a kick-ass deal. They guy I purchased it from said it did helical and dnc are possible but then said he only used conversational. I had to change baudrates and splice a cable but dnc started to work this forum is insanely helpful. But every time I try and run a helical it errors 21 about illegal plane selected. I looked in manual and it says helical interpolation g17 g3 (x0 y0) I,j,k,r F but there is no z value being accounted for so it just be a circle?? I'm wondering if the manual is for a newer model with said features and I being naive didn't check it out. I realized I didn't state the control it's a 20fa according literature he provided

Last edited:
You are correct G17 G3 X Y Z R, if you add Z move that will make it helical cut.

Hello fairly new to real cncs still in tech school. Used to mangling tree carcasses on cnc router but that stuff is fairly easy. Anyways I purchased the mill (ke-55 1994) for just under a year of tech school tuition. Seemed like a kick-ass deal. They guy I purchased it from said it did helical and dnc are possible but then said he only used conversational. I had to change baudrates and splice a cable but dnc started to work this forum is insanely helpful. But every time I try and run a helical it errors 21 about illegal plane selected. I looked in manual and it says helical interpolation g17 g3 (x0 y0) I,j,k,r F but there is no z value being accounted for so it just be a circle?? I'm wondering if the manual is for a newer model with said features and I being naive didn't check it out. I realized I didn't state the control it's a 20fa according literature he provided
Helical interpolation was an option on the KE mills, but to activate it is as simple as changing one parameter on the Fanuc 20 FA that turns that feature on and off. Seeing as it might not be legal for me to tell you which one it is you will have to either pay Makino or figure it out on your own ;)

My KE is also 1994 and the helical interpolation works great. And FWIW, the 2000 and newer KE55's with color LCD monitor and the G code keyboard integrated into the conversation keyboard, have absolutely zero added features....i.e. the JR and EN controls have exactly the same conversational features. I know this as I once owned one of the newer EN machines, but sold it once I found that out, as the older pre 2000 machines are actually made slightly better in the details (steel flex conduit vs plastic, proper screwed on max travel indicator plates vs stickers that fall off, etc )

Back