What's new
What's new

LeBlond Makino RMC 55

ToolCat

Aluminum
I purchased a Makino RMC 55 from a tech school and plan to move it this week. The machine is still hooked up at the school. Any tips about getting the machine ready for the move before it is disconnected? Should the z be moved to the bottom of its travel and blocked up to help protect the z ballscrew from bumps along the way? Concerning the fanuc controller; Is there a way to download the parameters so there is a backup of them?

makino1.jpg

I wondered who got that thing dirt cheap. I moved an RMC once about 150 miles and all I recall doing is a block under Z. Typically there will be a strap or two over the ram that will constrain X and Y movement during shipping.

So, even the tech school lost the parameter sheets ? That drives me crazy how often that is the case. Can't recall how to download them on OM control but with machine powered up* check memory backup batteries (three D cells behind rectangular black plastic door with two chrome screws...can see it in your photo) and replace if under 4.5 volts, then make damn sure the battery case door can't open up during shipping. (tape over it perhaps ?)

You can get parameters from Makino but unless you buy something from them they will take forever to get around to it. They act like they have to drive a hundred miles to a special bank vault and spend hours looking for them and then shovel coal into their steam powered copy machine or water turbine scanner.

----------

*Or check with machine unpowered but then you need to be super careful not to dislodge a battery or you may be SOL. On the newer Makino KE-55 with Fanuc 20 FA control you actually have 20 minutes or so to change batteries even if machine not under power but on the Fanuc 0 you may loose parameters within seconds with no battery backup.

I'll be sure replace the batteries with it powered up. Thank you for this heads-up help!

I found the procedure to backup Fanuc 0. Attached is that. Concerning the rs232 cable. I'm reading that an older cable is needed that is jumpered, but I'm reading mixed comments what is needed and how it is wired.

Attachments

• Fanuc O bakup procedure.zip
    9.8 KB · Views: 400
Tool Cat, If I can find my book on RS-232, I can give you a clear idea of the proper jumpers. In the meantime
you should be able to make it work with a gadget called a "null modem". Any older computer guys might be able
to set you up with one.

At the place I used to work, we bought two newer Makino's used. Both were shipped with the table and saddle removed , some 1x4's banded together under the head (not pressing on the spindle though).

Is that an 0-M controller? I have a couple of 0-series manuals, I could take a peak. If I'm not mistake some of the jumpers need to be in the right position, and are a couple of parameters to check. If your lucky thats all good to go and you can upload the parameters into ProComm plus.

Or, go through the parameter pages if the machine is under power, and snap some pictures of the parameters and diagnostics.

Malcolm, Okay on the "null modem". I'll look for one for now.

RevetsP, Yes, I believe 0-M controller. That is a good idea about popping some pics of the parameter screens. I'll see if I can't figure out how to get to those screens. If anyone knows right off the keys to push to get in to view them please chime-in. :)

Found this hand written note in one of the papers with the machine. What is this doing or describing? ----

(ps edit 5 minutes later). Never mind. This note was with the Yam lathe papers not the RCM 55 mill. In any event what does it sound like this note is describing?

MDI Mode Select Soft key On
Service-call Para. #
Got to setting Off Reset

I would say replacing the batteries would be the best bet before moving it, unless of course you have a laptop you can bring with you to download the parameters...

Be sure you put the batteries in correctly and make sure the "BAT" alarm is not showing before you turn it off and move it.

That is good to hear there is hope of Makino providing the parameters...I bought an obscure CNC lathe that the MFG is long out of business...from the original owner...who NEVER got a hard copy of the parameters when he bought it...its only by the Grace of God the parameters were still there...even though the batteries were all bulged out and there was gobs of the white stuff coming out of one of them...

As to schools saving paper work for machines, I think they are one of the worst offenders...once was at an auction of one of the nicest school machine shops I have ever seen, and the dumpster was packed full of all the manuals, drawings and paper work. Plus some of the coolest stuff ever, like a turn of the century book on steel making I think Timken donated to them (along with alot of other really cool books) I think to the school people they just see it all the same as an outdated math text book.

As to schools saving paper work for machines, I think they are one of the worst offenders...once was at an auction of one of the nicest school machine shops I have ever seen, and the dumpster was packed full of all the manuals, drawings and paper work. Plus some of the coolest stuff ever, like a turn of the century book on steel making I think Timken donated to them (along with alot of other really cool books) I think to the school people they just see it all the same as an outdated math text book.

I think it comes with people saving EVERYTHING with writing on it, we've got meeting minutes back from chapter meetings in the 70's and then the low people on totem pole get picked to purge the extra materials and they get a little happy to throw items away.

At the place I used to work, we bought two newer Makino's used. Both were shipped with the table and saddle removed , some 1x4's banded together under the head (not pressing on the spindle though).
Newer Makino WHAT ? (Makino has made many different machines over the years) If you mean the newer version of the RMC, that would be the KE-55...but I can't imagine someone going to the trouble of removing the table on one of those....that would be a ridiculous amount of time involved and completely unnecessary.

I have owned an RMC-55 and currently have a KE-55. FWIW, although the iron is very similar there is night and day difference in the user friendliness of the two models, which is why the KE's command a much higher price.

Replaced the batteries with it running, shut it off and then turned it back on, and all is well.

We photographed all the parameter and diagnostics pages. Wow.. there are a lot of them!
Noticed something strange on one of the diagnostic pages though. The 1s and 0s are changing back and forth on No. 0051 and No. 0058. I wonder what they go to and if they are suppose to be changing?

We managed to jog the z to touch down on some 4x4s. It should be ready for the ride.

Noticed something strange on one of the diagnostic pages though. The 1s and 0s are changing back and forth on No. 0051 and No. 0058. I wonder what they go to and if they are suppose to be changing?
On certain parameters that's not unusual. If you didn't get one with the machine, you can buy a OM parameter manual from Fanuc which will tell you exactly what that parameter is for. (or simply ask on the PM CNC forum and someone will look it up)

If you find a cable that works and a pc to accept the file here's how it works on my NTC w Omb
I don't have my notes handy, but I know I only have 3 wires running between the pc and rs232 port

To backup the parameters:
On the control,go to your parameter screen
set your pc (w/transfer software running) to accept the file, saving as a text file
Once your pc is ready, press output on the control
parameters will come over as with 0's & 1's unless they are values that fit the size of the machine

The diagnostic numbers are changing because you are seeing the control make adjustments in real time

Mike

Thanks again everyone for the help!
We managed to get the machine moved in the shop yesterday. I would like to confirm what incoming voltage this is setup for. See pic.. Is it correct that the top row is set at 230V and the bottom 200V? Therefore are incoming voltage should be 200V? How accurate of voltage does it need to be?
makino-voltage.jpg

Thanks again everyone for the help!
We managed to get the machine moved in the shop yesterday. I would like to confirm what incoming voltage this is setup for. See pic.. Is it correct that the top row is set at 230V and the bottom 200V? Therefore are incoming voltage should be 200V? How accurate of voltage does it need to be?
Incoming is 230, out is 200 volts. Japanese Fanuc machines are actually 200 volts.
If you happen to have 208 shop power you can bypass the transformer

I have a 30hp rotary phase converter, and I believe it would be at 208V. Will it hurt anything to try attaching that up the transformer as it is wired in the photo?

ten minutes later -- Just checked, the rotary is putting out 240V and with a delta wild leg. Should that wild leg attach to "S" where the red wire is in the photo?

ten minutes later -- Just checked, the rotary is putting out 240V and with a delta wild leg. Should that wild leg attach to "S" where the red wire is in the photo?
Just from looking at your photo I'm not sure. Did you not get a diagram in the manual ? My KE probably has the same transfer but I'm not going to be back at the shop where I can look at it until Friday.

Milacron

Just make sure that the wild leg isn't connected to the Computer side of the wiring.

Tom

I didn't receive a manual with wiring info. I'll hold off until I know what to do with the high leg.

Here are voltage measurements from the rotary phase converter:
Between any of the three legs: roughly 248V
Between two of the legs and ground: 124V
Between one leg and ground: 220V

Found this info through google:
Three-Phase Delta System...
the using of this electrical system configuration is restricted by the following precautions:

1- all loads must be carefully balanced on both the single-phase and three-phase legs.
2- high leg must be color identified " usually orange" to avoid using it as a single phase source because the voltage between one leg and the grounded neutral is considerably higher than the rest of the single-phase system, high leg is located between the two lower voltage conductors.
3- don't use the "high leg" as a single-phase source because no ground or grounded neutral exists for this circuit.

Back