update on the one buck makino

delivered today by the wizards of Checkmate Rigging-- two big
thumbs up for this team

it was necessary to "swede" the forklifts
i'll explain--in this part of the country about 140 years ago harvest began on
many big trees----- 8 to 12 feet in diameter was common

with the tree on the ground bucked into skidding length--a wire rope
choker was wrapped around the big end of the log---and often it was necessary
to couple chokers in series to get adequate length to encircle log and connect to
powered pulling main line -- or arch--etc

this practice was labeled "swedeing"
not to be confused with the modern definition in wikipedia

so--any time it is necessary to gang lift, two pull or the like ~~~up here it is swedeing

machine is being parted

jh

Attachments

• 100_6077.jpg
    100_6077.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,301
  • 100_6078.jpg
    100_6078.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,234
  • 100_6079.jpg
    100_6079.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,164
  • 100_6080.jpg
    100_6080.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,288
  • a55aa.jpg
    a55aa.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,140
the pics were taken in my venture partners yard in Olympia

the lift trucks are 18 and 20 K capacity--rated 4 feet in front of drive axle centerline
machine center of mass is around 7 ft if front of axle center ---- makino scales 19,000

really impressive main frame casting which my guess scales around 12K

the machine shop next door has been giving Mike--the yard owner-- free of charge---machining centers
just for removal--Acroloc's---which no one wants

the pics were taken in my venture partners yard in Olympia

the lift trucks are 18 and 20 K capacity--rated 4 feet in front of drive axle centerline
machine center of mass is around 7 ft if front of axle center ---- makino scales 19,000

really impressive main frame casting which my guess scales around 12K

the machine shop next door has been giving Mike--the yard owner-- free of charge---machining centers
just for removal--Acroloc's---which no one wants

I ran some old Acroloc mills. Early 80's vintage with the goofy tollholder/spindle. They sure did change tools fast . Fanuc control too. But they were absolutely whipped by then (late 90's)

The last shop I worked had (5) brand new a51's around 2005-2006 making medical implants. I wasn't able to run them often because I was running the Hermle 5 axis machines but the Makinos cranked.

Thread got locked for non-descript thread title, but answers your questions lie within:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/makino/99-cent-tools-269176/

I saw that thread bouncing around for a few days and never clicked it, because I didn't care about .99 cent tools. LOL

After reading through that thread - let me just say that the machine will be even more worthless than it is now, if you put some 3rd party control on it.

You should be able to get the spindle fixed for way less than $25K if you don't get it from Makino. Pallets will be tougher, but they are out there. Any pallet from an A55, A55 Delta, A55E, I think even a new a51 will work. You could have a decent functioning A55 for $30k.

(Also, I think Don closed that thread because of knee jerk jealousy that you got a 99 cent Makino, not because of the topic title ;))

You may want to rethink that a bit. ???

A 7' load center that went down the road w/o sticking way out both sides of the truck?
Maybe pick it from the other side then eh? :skep:

Otherwise - sure hope you make out great!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox

my intent on the load comment was a rough estimate of the load center when the makino was on the forks of the 20K lift truck

the makino measures just under 9 ft in width
but---the spindle column was not secured so when the machine tilts in any direction the column rolls
to that side--about 2500 lbs of mass

static weight of makino is 19K-- a load within the range of the larger truck--but
the steering wheels were air-borne with a pick attempt

considering these factors my best guess is that the center of machine mass would be at least 7 ft from the centerline
of the drive axle which would guarantee a failed lift attempt

my partner Mike--guy directing the lift trucks--has a crane service with mobile units up to 100 tons
he and I would have preferred to hoist makino from top but this machine was not engineered with lift eye option

bottom lift only

some thoughts on selling big machines--i have had lousy luck--the shop committing to an hmc purchase will expect
a running machine with at least a 30 day warranty--and business is so good in aerospace shops that new with 3-5 year factory warranty is the way to go

but the market for good used components is out there ---fanuc red caps-drives-logic boards-etc

and there is the possibility of a sale of the bare machine frame for a bespoke retrofit--Yancy Machine in Portland
is well known for stocking bare frames for this purpose

parting this machine out is well underway --within a week i should be posting pics of picked bare frame
with a buzzard on top--me:)

jh

Makino may be interested in the smoked spindle core, they rebuild them. Or you might even find someone with a bunch of A55s that wants a core to turn in towards a spare. The A55 spindles are differnt than the A51s. Just saying this because we stock spare spindles for our A51s and A61s and that spare has to be bought without a core exchange.

Dude I bet you're one of the first people in history to part out an A55 Plus. Based on that, you might make some pretty good money just off of the way covers, individual tool pockets, etc.

part out update

pics taken 13 august 2013

disassembly carried out exclusively by me

machine constructed to very high level of fit and finish--where shims are used they
are ground even for non precision mate up such as submodule support

this means threaded fasteners go in by hand--very satisfying on a machine 18 years in service

very high grade electrical wiring insulation is used--usual finding on machine of this vintage
is gummy sticky brittle cracked or in some other manner degraded conductor covering

when wiring is wiped of oil/coolant it is pliable and pristine
part of the japanese attention to detail --even the german wiring degrades in a less favorable fashion

pleasant surprise--- the spindle drive components were slated for removal before shipping
to me--this did not happen and pre-amp and amplifier is present--as pics indicate

plan is to lift off column/spindle assembly by removing fasteners threaded into rail cars

spindle complexity is beyond anything in my past experience and the protective nature
of the column will be utilized

jh

Attachments

• 100_6098.jpg
    100_6098.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 764
  • 100_6099.jpg
    100_6099.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 745
  • 100_6100.jpg
    100_6100.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 706
  • 100_6101.jpg
    100_6101.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 690
  • 100_6103.jpg
    100_6103.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 713
column removed

spindle motor extracted from housing

Fanuc calls the assembly "built in motor" and spindle

two separate ac drives are used for spindle---low and high speed

jh

Attachments

• 100_6221.jpg
    100_6221.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 539
  • 100_6222.jpg
    100_6222.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 545
  • 100_6223.jpg
    100_6223.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 532
  • 100_6224.jpg
    100_6224.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 563
  • 100_6225.jpg
    100_6225.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 522
Boy - that thing doesn't have much travel eh?

A55s & A51s don't have a lot of X travel. 22" on the A51s and I know it's not more than that on the A55s, might be a little less. I always have a hard time getting management to undestand not many of our parts will fit on these. We run 8" sq. tombstones on them, which aren't real big by anybodys standards.
For side work you have 11'' of travel each way from center of the pallet, 4" of that is tombstone, 3/4-1" is fixture below the part and your down to 6" of useable part envelope for side work. These machines are for smaller parts or they're fine if you have a dedicated window fixture sitting directly on the pallet, but even an 8" sq. stone really eats up your travel for side work.

Back