What's new
What's new

Makino PS95 VMC

G-Auto

Hot Rolled
We have Okuma verticals and we need another with a 15k spindle for aluminum. The MB machines are $365,000 to $417,000 depending on options. The newer 460 Genos machines are a lot less but only come with a 12k spindle.

Our budget is $250 with a 4th axis, TSC and probe.

I am considering a Makino PS95. They are in stock with a 14k spindle. Does anyone have experience with these machines? They are about $190,000 equipped.

Looked at one at IMX last year, very very nice machine very capable. I believe they are built in singapore. IIRC they were taking pretty healthy cuts in a big cast iron block there. I really liked the tool changer and fact the 400psi tsc was standard.

makino's gonna be cheaper

Makino will be cheaper but if you are looking at this arena of machines, you should at least look into a Toyoda HMC.

I dont know about the PS95 but in the past I ran a V55. This machine had serious spindle problems as well as a strange periodic harmonic issue that would put waves in a 3D tool path. But when it wanted to play nice it would make seriously nice parts. I have heard of other machines in that vintage having similar issues as well. That same shop has went back to Mori and Okuma.

G-Auto, how about a Mazak VCN-510 with an 18k spindle...IIRC they come with a host of high speed options installed - software, core cooled ball screws, tons of memory. I think they are in the ball park of the Makino price wise.

I presume they have transfered the spindle technology from the HCN horizontals over to the verticals as most of the HCN 4000 and 5000's for the past 5 years or so probably have been equiped with the 18k spindle. Our HCN spends a considerable amount of it's life at 16-18k, granted it only has about 4,000 hours on it though.

I think Mazak still has quite a bit of lead time (~4 months last I checked) out of the Kentucky plant, but I would think most of the machines going through would be the standard 12k spindle machines, so you may get lucky time-wise.

Steve

I can't say I would recommend an Okuma based on our experience with our MB5000. The wine rack tool changer is way too finicky. The hydraulic install was a disaster (the software patch deleted all the tool offsets and machine parameters). The coolant tank runs over daily. No dynamic fixture offsets.

However, the worst is OSP control screen frequently freezing. It's pretty dangerous when it happens while proving out a program with a $3000 PCD tool and a $5000 prototype casting, watching the distance to go display because the TSC is blocking out the window. It is unacceptable for the machine to move while the display is frozen. We doubled the RAM and it did nothing.

OSHA should make some rules regarding Windows running a machine tool.

You guys in this thread are bouncing around in some very good equipment. Can I throw in Matsuura and ask what you think of them, as I'm thinking about one?

Thank you,

Stan-

We have a PS95 in our mold shop. Nice machine with a lot of power and options like a 14K spindle and through the spindle coolant standard. On the down side no data server but a network connection for program transfers as well as a flash drive slot. Not much memory for large programs so we use the flash drive a lot for larger programs and drip feed. Over all very satisfied with the machine.

How does the PS95 handle large 3D surface tool paths? Can it keep up with the data? How is its surface finish?

CNCDavo,
The PS95 is not supposed to be a surfacing machine like the F series machines with the pro 5 controls but I can tell you the PS95 does do a nice job of surfacing. I believe the control is a Fanuc OM based control with AICC enabled so it will do contouring cuts extremely well just not full 3 axis surfacing. In other words if you can position in Z or step down in Z then follow your contour in X and Y the surface finishes are as nice as the F series machines in my opinion.

I think new genos vertical has 15k rpm in usa, 12k in Europe. But you can see the Mb-vertical, with 15k option. It's same double column machine than genos, with powerful 199Nm torque and high accuracy . You won't find a spindle like that with 3 years guarantee.
About the problems of the Mb5000, I think the dealer must solve them, but sincerely, in Europe there ara lots of mb5000 working with no problems.
A

CNCDavo,
The PS95 is not supposed to be a surfacing machine like the F series machines with the pro 5 controls but I can tell you the PS95 does do a nice job of surfacing. I believe the control is a Fanuc OM based control with AICC enabled so it will do contouring cuts extremely well just not full 3 axis surfacing. In other words if you can position in Z or step down in Z then follow your contour in X and Y the surface finishes are as nice as the F series machines in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply tooldude. Yes the Makino PS series run a Fanuc oi-MD controller. Do you use the flash drive for larger programs?
I'm considering the Makino PS-95 or the Doosan DNM 500 which is around $25K cheaper. Just wondering if the Makino is worth the extra price tag.
Both machines run the oi-MD controller. The Makino has cooled ball screws and a stronger spindle and stronger construction. BUt I can by the Doosan and tool it up for less than the Makino.

Cheers Dave

I have two new Matsuuras. Absolutely wonderful machines. The VX will fit nicely in your budget. I can't compare to Makino or Okuma but I replaced a newish Mazak with a Matsuura. Cutting stainless on that thing is like night and day.

You guys in this thread are bouncing around in some very good equipment. Can I throw in Matsuura and ask what you think of them, as I'm thinking about one?

Thank you,

Stan-

Dave,
Yes we use the flash drive for large programs. It works well for that. I was told the spindle and spindle housing in the PS95 is the same one they use in the Makino horizontal machining centers. Very strong very rigid.

Thanks for the reply tooldude. Yes the Makino PS series run a Fanuc oi-MD controller. Do you use the flash drive for larger programs?
I'm considering the Makino PS-95 or the Doosan DNM 500 which is around $25K cheaper. Just wondering if the Makino is worth the extra price tag.
Both machines run the oi-MD controller. The Makino has cooled ball screws and a stronger spindle and stronger construction. BUt I can by the Doosan and tool it up for less than the Makino.

Cheers Dave

We have a PS95 in our mold shop. Nice machine with a lot of power and options like a 14K spindle and through the spindle coolant standard. On the down side no data server but a network connection for program transfers as well as a flash drive slot. Not much memory for large programs so we use the flash drive a lot for larger programs and drip feed. Over all very satisfied with the machine.

Hi Tooldude,

I just read your past thread about PS 95 vs Doosan DNM. Interestingly, even we are caught up in similar situation. Which machine did you choose & how has it performed since then. Even we are running a mold shop. So looking for Machine with decent 3d contouring capabilities? Let us know your opinion.
Thanks

I am a Field Service Engineer for a distributor that has spent the last 6 years focused mainly on Makino products. I can honestly say, that after 5 years of installing PS machines, that I troubleshot the first failed spindle in a PS out of our office in MN. I have literally walked into shops and had forgotten that I had installed their machine because it had been over 3 years since they had to have service on a PS.

They are a great machine, with in my eyes, the downfall being not the software, but the interface between man and machine. I walk into shops that have all different makes of machine tools. To me, it seems like all others are more service heavy than with the Makinos.

As much of that may have to do with the FSE (Field Service Engineer) that performs the work as the machine. I always try to sway people towards the Makino, not only because we distribute them, but also for the service you get from Makino USA over the phone and their longevity.

Our budget is $250 with a 4th axis, TSC and probe.

That money gets you really close to some nice entry level full 5 axis machines. nice GF E500U (48hpHSK63 20kRPM,DD motors), Okuma and Mats' to name a few. If a 500mm x axis works for you.

That money gets you really close to some nice entry level full 5 axis machines. nice GF E500U (48hpHSK63 20kRPM,DD motors), Okuma and Mats' to name a few. If a 500mm x axis works for you.

Not to heap randomness upon randomness. ~ Zombie thread - Gets me two out of three times.

I had a quote (couple of years ago) for a GF E500U with 20K spindle (not sure about DD motors) but Heidenhain control etc. for about $320K …

Which I thought was a bit high.

Makino PS 105 (newer) on "Special" no 4th axis can be got for $140K ish. But 4th axis and other bits and bobs creeps up to $200K

$250K can get you a 3 axis Makino F5 (3 axis) and a lot of the trimmings. Base price $180 ish ?

PS 105 seems interesting now they have better contouring but not Makino's SGI for mold work.

Back