What's new
What's new

Julian date coding on an A81

CSenk

Plastic
We are looking to serialize our parts with a Julian date and then a sequential number to mark what number it is off the machine. For example the first piece off the machine today would be 04501.

Does anyone know or currently do anything like this? I don't know how to access the date on the machine. The rest should be easy.

Any help?

As far as I remember, the last country to use Julian dates was Greece, and they changed to the Gregorian system in the 1920s. England, and of course her American colonies, changed in 1752.

George

We are looking to serialize our parts with a Julian date and then a sequential number to mark what number it is off the machine. For example the first piece off the machine today would be 04501.

Does anyone know or currently do anything like this? I don't know how to access the date on the machine. The rest should be easy.

Any help?

Still widely used. Military reports & procurement systems were once rife with it for much the same reason you are looking at it now.

Most computer OS have utility support for it. Another, on Unix, is to include a timestamp called 'epoch'.

Julian date is on many of the 'dead tree' calendars sold in office supply stores if you need an easily located human-readable source to check the machine or 'code' against.

Research out in IS/IT & Database land. You'll find plenty of tools, a short-ton of options built right into any 'heavy lifter' (O)RDBMS... PostgreSQL for one.

Bill

As far as I remember, the last country to use Julian dates was Greece, and they changed to the Gregorian system in the 1920s. England, and of course her American colonies, changed in 1752.

George

That was calendar basis overall, not the subset, Julian date, which is simply the nth day in sequence of any given year, weeks and months not considered.

We are looking to serialize our parts with a Julian date and then a sequential number to mark what number it is off the machine.
Whilst you have a Makino. You might be better off to post the Question in the General CNC section.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/

Or even more specifically the "sticky" thread devoted to Macro programming.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/macro-programming-fundamentals-167395/

The guys you need, to tell you how to extract System Variables from that control. Then crunch a macro to convert it to Julian, hang out there. Sequential numbering is a piece of cake for them.

Rather sadly, all your getting here is the history of Julian.*

* Did either of you numb nuts, notice, this is a first time poster? He has a Makino A81. Thats a serious machine, from this century no less. He needs a solution, not cock stroking, and yet more verbal diarrhea.

Ah. I learn something new every day on PM.

George

May as well shit in mad-Phil's personal bowl of oatmeal twice in a row, then. He 'gets off' on that.

The 'conventionally utilized' Julian date is but the sequential day of a given year.
Pedantically, it is the wrong term, but it is what is widely used - unless, perhaps, one is an Astronomer.

There are sources all over town from the paper calendars and day-timers to a small number on the corner of the display of some of those 'atomic' clocks one can place on a desk or hang on the wall.

The 'real' Julian date is a continuously incrementing and far larger number.

US Navy Observatory provides it online, along with calculators for ascertaining what it was or will be, given a year, month, day, hour minute, and second of prior or future common calendar years - or the reverse:

Julian Date Converter

An instructional overview with a precis of the history is also provided on that page as text. Links to API's too.

If one can trust a given machine's local 'system clock', especially if the system clock is being kept updated over a link to a 'good enough' tier of time-servers, either/both Julian date or day-of-year may be extracted with a built-in function.

The OP is by no means the first Pilgrim to ever need such a service.

If he is already programming the rest of his project, he can do this part without injection of kinky-f**kery abuse from 'downunder' as well.

Side note: I have NO idea if mad-Phil is actually stroking himself as he posts or not. Fortunately, Australia is sufficiently remote from PM's server that detail does not HAVE TO pass the proverbial 'sniff test'.

Thanks for the help and history of Julian dates. I will check out the Macro sticky.

Back