What's new
What's new

VMC fabric "roll up" chip guard...ever replaced one ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
This on a 1996 vintage Makino VMC. Still works but looking a little suspect....can these be bought somewhere other than Makino and how much PITA to replace ?

makinozguard.jpg

BUWW Coverings
[email protected]
815 962- 2899

.040 polyester coated hypalon

they cut and sold me a direct replacement for my Milltronics mill.
I just used contact cement to glue to the roller drum from the old one
FBBob

Ironic that this should be on a Makino. We had a (1978 vintage) 40 x 20 Makino VMC with NO guarding for the Y axis ways. They supplied us with a roll up cover that lasted only a few weeks before we scrapped it.

That orangy-yellow colour brought back many memories!

I know this is an old thread, but Milacron's Makino picture shows exactly what I am up again...except this one is on a Matsuura and I am missing the hardware to boot!

Has anyone priced out what these roll up covers run new? Or any good alternatives? (I am thinking new is going to be outrageous)

Search using way covers,quite a few out there.
My Mat. is missing the metal sliding covers on the Z(its a vert.) but still has the bellows type cover, I bought rubber shop aprons and mounted it over the billows, flat rubber,thin, can be bought from McMasters,it isnt perfect,but I am not either.

My Lagun has a window shade type rollup deal, I replaced the fabric,again from McMasters.
Gw

Milacron,
Did you find a suitable material to replace this cover? This is the exact cover that I need to replace. I actually have 2 now, and am revisiting this one at the same time. I bought some plain rubber sheet from mcmaster carr and put it on this z cover. It looked beautiful for near a week before the coolant killed it. It tore and came unrolled. I now have a tarp piece as a patch over it. I also have a roll up cover attached to my newer Mori Seiki lathe. It is a curtain type and the synthetic coolant ruined the fabric on it too. Thanks.

My Mori copy Victor Vc4 had a rollup cover that was made of thin fiberglass cloth.
Mcmaster Carr sells it as "PTFE-Coated Fiberglass Fabric"
The hardest part is attaching to the windup roller

mjk Thanks for the info. I will look it up.
I take it you are happy with the results of the mcmaster carr material. I was considering either:
1. ordering the fiber reinforced Bunyl-N rubber sheet from McMaster
2. Now researching your new PTFE fabric
3. Or having A&A gortite quote enough material to do both (surely the most expensive, but may yield the best results, too.)

The repair once complete worked for 2+ years until I sold the machine.
The original material was simular and it fed thru a thin "wiper" slot
If I can find the info in my machine file I'll pass it on

Just as an update. I went ahead and ordered Hypalon sheeting from BUWW as is mentioned at the top of this thread. It is expensive, but the reputable replacement. I also ordered extra to fix other decayed material on the old Makino. The Hypalon equivalent on Mcmaster Carr is much more expensive then BUWW. I had 3 quotes and BUWW beat them all.
MJK thanks for all of your helpfulness. The PTFE fiberglass was a little bit cheaper, but it measured thinner, and it only comes in tan. Coin toss and chose Hypalon (CSM tradename). Hope this might help someone down the road.
-Greg

Milacron,
Did you find a suitable material to replace this cover? This is the exact cover that I need to replace.
No, I ended up selling the machine to a shop that didn't care that it was a little messed up. And they were a picky lot too...came to run a demo of their parts on the machine...twice.. before plunking down the cash.

I had to replace one on a Hyudia Kia CNC HBM for the Y axis. Big machine. Had one top and bottom of spindle. Probably at least 5 foot of travel. Anyway, it was just out of warranty and had that rubberized canvas. I replaced it with Urethane, found a place that sold it 30" wide and ordered about 15 foot of it. That was years ago. Still going strong. I think it was about 1mm thick. Used 3M contact cement in the spray can.

Bill

Just as an update. I went ahead and ordered Hypalon sheeting from BUWW as is mentioned at the top of this thread. It is expensive, but the reputable replacement. I also ordered extra to fix other decayed material on the old Makino. The Hypalon equivalent on Mcmaster Carr is much more expensive then BUWW. I had 3 quotes and BUWW beat them all.
MJK thanks for all of your helpfulness. The PTFE fiberglass was a little bit cheaper, but it measured thinner, and it only comes in tan. Coin toss and chose Hypalon (CSM tradename). Hope this might help someone down the road.
-Greg

I know this has been a while, how has the hypalon held up? We're looking at replacing some covers and have different material options. My biggest concern is hot chips melting into and sticking to it. Ours will go in a more horizontal orientation and the temporary covers I have in there right now (neoprene like material) aren't going to last much longer due to this issue. I'm getting quotes for hypalon coated nylon and silicone coated fiberglass. Anyone with experience with these two materials want to chime in?

Back