What's new
What's new

yasda

David Harrison

Plastic
Makino are good machines but no where in the league of a yasda 640 jig bore quality machine $750000. This is the finest most accurate machine I have ever owned . I have the the Huron from France (incredible machines). The Mitsui Seiki and Roku Roku are built to a way higher standard than Makino. I owned a makino hyper 5 mold machining center good machine , but the last Makino I will ever own. Application engineers lacked knowledge maintence personal simply put bunch of hacks

Makino are good machines but no where in the league of a yasda 640 jig bore quality machine $750000. This is the finest most accurate machine I have ever owned . I have the the Huron from France (incredible machines). The Mitsui Seiki and Roku Roku are built to a way higher standard than Makino. I owned a makino hyper 5 mold machining center good machine , but the last Makino I will ever own. Application engineers lacked knowledge maintence personal simply put bunch of hacks

So what is your point David. The rest of us mold shops with Makinos are a bunch of hacks because we can't afford a 750,000 dollar machine. or are you just here to flame Makino because you can afford the top of the line machines.

A Pu 771 bed mill with its natural mate a graziano sag22 lathe the last of the 2 best manual medium size machines ever built. These are still very relevant in my shop today although manual

No offense Sir. There is a world market out there. I will give u the best tip I can give watch your middle management like a hawk and treat your blue collar machinists/ toolmakers like the gold they are and work the world market,The Yasda will follow. If u ever get in the business of cutting scores for the canning industry (stolle and Dayton Reliable Tool systems the quality of machine tool will become obvious). Next time you pop Budweiser or Castle beer , Coke can check that score line there is a whole industry built around these replacement parts. There are very few machines that can hold that .0002 constant width on the die insert

Last edited:
No offense Sir. There is a world market out there. I will give u the best tip I can give watch your middle management like a hawk and treat your blue collar machinists/ toolmakers like the gold they are and work the world market,The Yasda will follow. If u ever get in the business of cutting scores for the canning industry (stolle and Dayton Reliable Tool systems the quality of machine tool will become obvious). Next time you pop Budweiser or Castle beer , Coke can check that score line there is a whole industry built around these replacement parts. There are very few machines that can hold that .0002 constant width on the die insert

Can you explain a bit your experience with huron?
Thank you very much in advance

In reply to your question. The first Huron I worked was a Mu6 at Atlas aircraft South Africa (now Denel part of Armscor).in 1979. It is a bygone time but the huge table with the motorized overarm and the ability to crank up the Zaxis with just a round handle albeit with a 2 ton load on the table (this due to a ball screw on the Zaxis). The side duplicated controls on the side of the machine duplicating front controls made it so easy to work Then the Huron style head so copied even to this day with cnc machines.(Huron's are so versatile with complex setups) However on owing my own business I saw the virtue of bed mills Pu771 and prefer that style of machine which obviously moves the Z on the ram.
However time has marched on I immigrated to the United States and brought my machines here , Huron's are virtually unheard of this side although NASA has 2 newish cnc's for model development. The Japanese Mitsui Seiki is the last word in aerospace machining , however in die mould the Yasda is simply top of line. The Roku Roku who built Huron's under license in the 1970's are also tops. I would love to get more acquainted with the new Huron cnc although there is a U.S.A importer they are not popular in this country .
Now we could go into Studer grinders also the best , but I am starting to bore (S40,S41!!!

David, we own a Yasda with a 70" machining cube 5 axis with an articulating head. It has a 120 tool magazine and a 5 pallet changer. We make turbine combustor cases for the aircraft industry. We also have 2 Makino a55 1 a88 and 2 a91's. The Makino's perform flawlessly. If we do have a problem with the Makino's (which is rare) the problem is usually fixed in one day. The Yasda on the other hand, we have had to replace the spindle twice and had numerous problems with the tool changer. Oh yeah you have to wait for repairs because their repairmen have to come from Japan. We have had our machine down for 2 weeks at a time. Yes they are an accurate machine but, remember you WILL be paying above and beyond your $750,000 when the inevitable repair time comes. I know working in aircraft components where a compressor case usually can cost $40,000 I am not privy to the trials and tribulations of the canning industry. Makino is a good machine. Don't be so frigging smug.

I am curious what Makino you had that cannot hold 0.0002"? An F, Vi or a IQ sure can do that..

Do not forget about hermle.
I am from Portugal, in here Hermle do the top jobs at mold making.

Sorry David but studer is not the best maybe the most popular in the USA but not the best. I will put a a Junker, Tacchella or the new Danobat up against them any day. Since you know the canning industry you will know that Danobat owns the Overbeck company that makes all the radius grinders that are used to make the can dies.

Back