What's new
What's new

Youtube vid of my Makino A55e in operation.

Cool vid. Didn't you pick this machine up at an auction dirt cheap awhile back? :cheers:

What kind of slitting cutter is that at the end? It sounds like it cuts wonderfully.

I'm also curious about that slitting cutter for the same reasons as Joe. Sure removed the material in a nice fashion and sounded great while doing it.
Congrats on getting into the HMC world!

Not sure I need quite that much pucker factor when changing tools?

I am very surprised that your machine doesn't have the outside pallet in a "cage"?
Or has some sheetmetal been removed (for video sakes of course)?

Was you actually cutting the part free from the base in the end?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Really cool:drool5:... Why are some tool changes very fast and others slower?

As chip_maker said, I have some of the tools flagged as heavy. The pause after the u-drill is the machine sucking the coolant out of the tool so you don"t get dripping and coolant in the taper.

Cool! Let's see the finished piece. What's it for?

It's a runner for an Intake Manifold. You can see pics here:

http://www.facebook.com/HypertuneAustralia

Cool vid. Didn't you pick this machine up at an auction dirt cheap awhile back? :cheers:

What kind of slitting cutter is that at the end? It sounds like it cuts wonderfully.

Yes :) It's a 2.5" Sandvik slot cutter. I was amazed when I started pushing this thing a little. I'm pretty sure I'm no where near it's limits at the moment either.
I think it's my favorite tool :)

Have you looked into casting that thing?

Yeah, but who wants to see casting videos? ;) But seriously, being billet is appealing to both me and my customers for this particular product.

nice, looks like you could crank up your feedrate though. How many rpm do you have there?

14k. I could and probably will up the feedrate on some of the tools. At the moment this machine is putting me way ahead and I certainly don't need to push it though.
Now I need to spend less time optimizing programs and more time developing new products. It's hard work trying to keep this thing fed :D

Not sure I need quite that much pucker factor when changing tools?

I am very surprised that your machine doesn't have the outside pallet in a "cage"?
Or has some sheetmetal been removed (for video sakes of course)?

Was you actually cutting the part free from the base in the end?

That's how I got the machine. Most pics of A55e's don't show them with a "cage" but I think it was optional.
I have the buzzer sounding and a 4 second delay in my pallet change macro just in case anyone is in the way.

I don't cut the part free, as it goes in for a second op on the other side.

Thanks for the comments everyone!!!

Hypertune, that ball screw noise may not be ball screw noise... If the niose isn't getting worse, and you don't have any out of the ordinary backlash, and if you have common amps in the cabinet, try swapping the servo amps between say x and z and see if the noise moves. We changed everything on a machine once, and it ended up being the amp, there must have been 10 experiences techs look at it and all say the same thing. Ball screw. And might I add it was only noisy at speed. So we changed the screw and the thrust bearings, then we swapped motors, then we changed the linear rails, and finally the only thing left was the amp, swapped that out and the problem went away. Boss man was not a happy camper.

BTW you have a top notch horizontal which has my mouth watering to get back into them... I am playing with much bigger toys right now...

I've had a dial indicator on it and I'm quite sure it's the ballscrew nut. I kind of wish it was a servo amp as I have spares of those.

I'll try changing the amp though, and if it works I owe you a beer!

Nice, that things a beast. Wish i had the kind of work that justified putting one in my shop. It looks like it's hungry and it just ate, healthy appetite! :D

Back