What's new

0.0% pay raise

• Thread starter Jim Glass
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 3,223
J

Jim Glass

The economy has sunk to that level. 10 years ago they were afraid I would quit now they hope that I will. 26 years with the company and 52 years old. I'm not going to quit but let them to fire me. If I can hold on 2 more years I can retire.

fingers crossed,
Jim

Once you are at the top where do you expect to go? We aren't in the inflation days of the 70's anymore where you needed a 15% raise just to keep your head above water.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Even at the top of your pay grade, even with low inflation, you give small raises to overcome low inflation and to show you are paying attention

annual cost of a 2 percent raise?

this is too much?

really?

Hang onto your asses. It's going to be a bumpy ride. This economy is going to make the great recession look like a blip on the radar.

So much winning.

The economy has sunk to that level. 10 years ago they were afraid I would quit now they hope that I will. 26 years with the company and 52 years old. I'm not going to quit but let them to fire me. If I can hold on 2 more years I can retire.

fingers crossed,
Jim

often the Senior people who are at maximum pay the company wants to pay, do not get pay raises any more. and if you got health problems they may want to reduce your pay cause the younger guys are learning and producing more. for example old guy has bad back and cannot lift anything heavy and takes days off cause of back pain. obviously if younger guy dont have that problem younger guy looks like the better employee to keep. at 0% pay raise company might think they are doing you a favor not laying you off or reducing your pay and letting you keep your job. they really might not want you around cause you are older and are having problems keeping up with the younger guys. i have been at places you were ranked that is if they had to get rid of people they had a list of who they wanted to leave first and who they wanted to keep til everybody else is gone.
and when i lost job at age 50 i sent out 30 resumes and only got 3 replies. literally many companies will find reasons not to hire a older person. it aint easy to get a job when over 50 years old.
my experience is when highest paid person leaves either retires or laided off everybody elses pay often increases, as company has a pay budget and when highest paid leave there is more pay for the rest.
i have gotten 8 pay raises the last 6 years and will make over $90,000. this year as a cnc operator. when i first got a different job my pay was lower first 2 years (cause i was learning the new job) but after it rapidly increased in pay and overtime allowed to work. i have made record breaking pay last 4 years but that maybe cause i am working a different job at different company. my old job i didnt realize how much better pay i could make at another company and job. my old job i actually thought my pay was pretty good. 6 years later making over $30,000 more a year i realize now old job wasnt that good of a job.

I wonder if that guy made it to retirement? :scratchchin:

i have been at company where they had a retirement plan and every year employee got past age 50 they saw they would have to pay more in retirement benefits and at age 55 if they retired they had to pay medical benefits too. many and i mean many employees never made it to age 55, that is the accountants did the math and decided cheaper to let then go now. now company near bankrupcy had to get rid of basically 80% of employees eventually. that had a ranking list of many many reasons who to lay off first and who to keep to the end.
it was very common older employee got laid off and offered a different job at same company at much LOWER pay and often they took job cause they only needed a few more years to get full retirement benefits. they didnt have 0% pay raise problem they had problem pay being reduced 20% or more if they wanted to keep job a few more years problem.

Back