Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    If getting 7 or 8 million people to vote for Biden instead of trump is what you call cheating your cult must have changed the definition of cheating. My definition of cheating is things like screwing other women while you are married like trump has done on all three of his wives. And cheating contractors like your cult leader trump did. Get the idea?
    No way that many voted Biden, everyone including you knows it. People come out to vote because they are passionate about a candidate, and nobody was passionate about the candidate whos own VP called a racist. Nobody was passionate about a guy that likes to feel up children, nobody was passionate about a guy that couldn't even remember what office he was running for or what state he was in. Nobody was passionate about a guy that cant take questions and has to be told whether he is allowed to say something or not, Nobody was passionate about a guy that said "If you don't fire this guy (Investigating my son) then you don't get the money, well son-of-a-bitch, they fired him) Nobody was passionate about a guy that couldn't pack a bowling ally, nobody was passionate about a guy that plagiarized others speeches, Nobody was passionate about a guy that gave a eulogy to a KKK member, Nobody was passionate about a guy that said "If you don't vote for me then you aint black", Nobody was passionate about a guy who pedophile, crack smoking son got on the board of a foreign company while he was VP.

Everyone and their grandmother knows the Dems cheated, even Big Bonehead knows it, and he is quite OK with it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Covid?

Covid?

. . .

Recently learned of a few new Covid deaths, ALL of whom were fully vaccinated. Seems as though the "avoid hospitalization and death" claim may have been a bit premature. . . .

At what point does reality sink in?
    Apparently never for those who've always thought it was just the flu, no big deal, something we should deal with by gathering in large crowds, etc.

Yesterday, one of our local groups had an update on Covid by a PhD/Prof. immunologist specializing in RNA viruses and inflammation. All sorts of questions answered, along with lots we still don't know.

Some highlights:

- "We're in a pandemic of the unvaccinated." The speaker's largest concern is that by failing to control this we'll see more mutations.

- The Delta variant has an "RO" about twice that of earlier variants. It is about twice as infectious and is now the dominant strain. It could get worse with further mutations. Covid-19 started with around an RO of 2, "alpha" was around 4-5, "delta" is around 5-8. For comparison, mumps is around 12 and measles around 18 (vaccines keep those in check).

- The data shows that those without vaccinations are 4.5x more likely to become infected, 10x more likely to be hospitalized, and 11x more likely to die. Good news is that or innate and acquired immune systems do work for most people. Bad news is that those seriously infected are 11x more likely to die without vaccination.

- The talk covered both our innate and acquired immune systems. The former provides the initial response. The latter "learns" to mount a response over the course of a few days and "remembers" that response to provide some level of future immunity. It works by creating B-cells to target viruses and T-cells to take them out. Kids apparently have a particularly swift-acting innate immune system, which means that while they can get (and transmit) something like they Delta variant at fairly high rates, most cases are mild or asymptotic. Not all are so lucky - the rates of serious illness and death among kids, while still small, are rising.

- Older people have a slower-acting innate response system. This puts their bodies' in a race with viral replication. The deaths mostly happen when the body mounts a massive inflammatory response (cytokines, interferons) too late to stop the virus. Then there are significant numbers of younger and apparently healthy people whose acquired immune systems fail to stop the virus early - and then mount a cytokine storm that must be controlled as best we can to avoid death.

- The vaccines help mount an earlier response in the acquired immune system. Not perfect, but highly effective.

- Our speaker thought it was too early to call for a third jab for all but older and immune compromised people. Better to get two jabs in more arms to slow down replication and mutation. It's a crapshoot if new variants will be more or less contagious and more or less deadly.

- We still don't have a good handle on the impacts of viral load on disease progression or all the reasons why pandemics come in waves.

- The speaker was critical of the CDC, noting that other countries are doing a better job of tracking the data needed to fully understanding replication, mutation, side effects, long-term Covid etc. She also noted that the two political parties in Denmark made an agreement early on to not politicize Covid and speak with one voice on the medical front. As a result, they're handling this far better than, say, the US.

- The speaker was even more critical of the deniers - the continuing and unnecessary economic damage, disease, and deaths really are pretty much due to a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

A dozen other questions answered along the way - but I'm sure some here would rather hear third-hand from conspiracy sites than from someone with decades of experience in RNA viruses and immune system responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelrFn View Post
    No way that many voted Biden, everyone including you knows it. People come out to vote because they are passionate about a candidate, and nobody was passionate about the candidate whos own VP called a racist. Nobody was passionate about a guy that likes to feel up children, nobody was passionate about a guy that couldn't even remember what office he was running for or what state he was in. Nobody was passionate about a guy that cant take questions and has to be told whether he is allowed to say something or not, Nobody was passionate about a guy that said "If you don't fire this guy (Investigating my son) then you don't get the money, well son-of-a-bitch, they fired him) Nobody was passionate about a guy that couldn't pack a bowling ally, nobody was passionate about a guy that plagiarized others speeches, Nobody was passionate about a guy that gave a eulogy to a KKK member, Nobody was passionate about a guy that said "If you don't vote for me then you aint black", Nobody was passionate about a guy who pedophile, crack smoking son got on the board of a foreign company while he was VP.

Everyone and their grandmother knows the Dems cheated, even Big Bonehead knows it, and he is quite OK with it too.

Where did you cut and paste the "nobody is passionate" shit from, some old rush lines?

I can tell you what a lot of people were very passionate about including me: getting that piece of garbage trump out of the white house. It could have been Tommy Chong and I'd have voted for him over trump.

Many dozens of courts have looked at scant evidence from the trump cult people and thrown every bit of it out for lack of evidence.

That's the same reason that Hillary lost. The right has done such a good job of tarnishing her image for decades that a lot of people just couldn't vote for her and picked the pussy grabbing, lying, cheating scumbag over her.

Get over it losers. Your candidate was so bad that even old Joe beat the pants off of him. The pussy grabber lost and rightly so.

4. Likes crazygoat, bucktruck, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Yesterday, one of our local groups had an update on Covid by a PhD/Prof. immunologist specializing in RNA viruses and inflammation. All sorts of questions answered, along with lots we still don't know.

A dozen other questions answered along the way - but I'm sure some here would rather hear third-hand from conspiracy sites than from someone with decades of experience in RNA viruses and immune system responses.
    Thank you, and if possible, anything else you can add would be nice. It's not that easy finding real information.

Out of curiosity, are we still seeing brain damage, liver damage, etc or have the newer varieties been more limited to the lungs ? The smell and taste loss seems to be not as universal ? (Also, more children dying ... )

Kind of funny, hicksville is just over the hill here, guy two slips down just told me his brother got it, insisted covid is just a bad flu and he sure as hell warn't gonna git no essperimental shots, probably designed by Bill Gates.

Three days later dead.

Darwin

6. Likes Screwmachine, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What are smoking? Not a fact at all in that post. You are part of the problem with the US being so divided.

I cant imagine the life you must live being such a dickhead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wow, just wow

math really is a liberal concept
    [and way to yet again avoid defending your opinions on covid]

9. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More on distancing, I saw on the news about NYC opening the schools again. Yeah, they got 2 air purifiers to a class room. Little bitty suckers look like they are 9 inches in diameter maybe 2 feet tall? All the kids were masked? Many had their noses uncovered, one was using it to warm her chin. Mayor was greeting students coming into the school with elbow bumps. Lets get those faces close together, what could go wrong? If I was concerned about distance arms length fist bumps, maybe? How about waving?

I have asked this before, anybody seen a documented case of surface contact? i believe all that sanitizing they did on those sardine cans they call subway cars did nothing. Maybe kept the flu or some other diseases down that can be spread by contact. Which may have prevented some one from getting covid in a hospital. Otherwise it seems like wasted effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    M

I have asked this before, anybody seen a documented case of surface contact? i believe all that sanitizing they did on those sardine cans they call subway cars did nothing. Maybe kept the flu or some other diseases down that can be spread by contact. Which may have prevented some one from getting covid in a hospital. Otherwise it seems like wasted effort.
    I am not sure it was wasted in a place like a subway, where people breathe on stuff and then people touch it right after, but it probably was wasted a lot of places.

In the beginning it was not known for sure what the primary mode of transmission was. Even so, it is possible to contract it from surface contact[someone coughs into their hand opens a door, you open the door and touch your mouth] but how would you be sure?

If it is 90 percent air, 10 percent surface [just made that up, have no idea]

When you have a logarithmic spread you go after that 10 percent
    when you have a linear spread getting the 90 percent is probably good enough

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I am not sure it was wasted in a place like a subway, where people breathe on stuff and then people touch it right after, but it probably was wasted a lot of places.

In the beginning it was not known for sure what the primary mode of transmission was. Even so, it is possible to contract it from surface contact[someone coughs into their hand opens a door, you open the door and touch your mouth] but how would you be sure?

If it is 90 percent air, 10 percent surface [just made that up, have no idea]

When you have a logarithmic spread you go after that 10 percent
    when you have a linear spread getting the 90 percent is probably good enough
    The CDC no longer mentions infected surfaces as a source of transmission, although they talk about touching mouth and eyes...how does the virus get on one's hands?

How Coronavirus Spreads | CDC

dee
    ;-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    . . . Out of curiosity, are we still seeing brain damage, liver damage, etc or have the newer varieties been more limited to the lungs ? The smell and taste loss seems to be not as universal ? (Also, more children dying ... ) . . .
    This speaker was more on the immunology research end of things and relies on reports (more Oxford rather than CDC) for stats on the medical carnage. Did say that "long Covid" with symptoms lasting weeks or months is a real thing, but the causes aren't yet known. CDC has apparently been given $1.5 billion to find out why over the next few years.

It does seem that both heightened immune system responses and long-term inflammation can cause a variety of lingering symptoms. We have all sorts of diseases where our normally sharp-shooting immune system starts going after the wrong cells.

Meanwhile, pretty unhappy, more of the money wasn't going to accurate tracking of post-Covid and lingering-Covid health stats.

The latest Michael Lewis book was mentioned in passing as one that covers some of what's wrong with our public health system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently things we consider normal can have long term affects
    Like being on a ventilator
    It has mid term affects on the best of us
    Many serious illnesses have long term affects for some or all people
    No reason COVID would be different

15. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The cdc is among other things creating policy
    So if they say surface transmission is a thing then people will take certain actions as a response
    I am pretty certain surface transmission is a non zero factor but if you can get people to wear masks in situations that warrant it an social distance I imagine it drips so low on the list as to not warrant concern
    It again advice during an uncontrolled outbreak is most likely different than one that is no longer on a vertical line

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    No you have not facts only twisted whacka do opinions based on twisted whacka do crap you heard from some other bobble head

Do you think calling somthing 'fake news' is somehow convincing?

No, no it is not

I post facts, you post blather
    You are the one who makes your sites fake news in how you present them as evidence because they are written by journalists to do just that.

Not your doing I know yet you join in. The articles will always be aimed at a theme in your case it will support your beliefs largely and there will be journalistic sensationalism. In the article it often will have language which absolves the writer to a large extent with what he writes and how.

It the real world is as crazy as the writer then they get cart blance in their writing because the world may seem just as insane.
    Many times the ones who have some ethics in their journalism will place in such articles the contrary view which very often cancels out the import of their main article.

You facilitate such things and that is common with your sites. In addition to that they can be so general the articles are like walking through the swamp.

That is sort of your favorite place in the whole world anyway isn’t it? The Swamp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    The CDC no longer mentions infected surfaces as a source of transmission, although they talk about touching mouth and eyes...how does the virus get on one's hands?

How Coronavirus Spreads | CDC

dee
    ;-D
    Probably May of 2020 heard a researcher say not one case of surface transmission had been documented. Summer of 2020 a official in CDC? said that it would be difficult to get it from surfaces. I pictured someone coming along with a feather duster on coughed on surfaces and trying to breath in particles on purpose and it still would be hard. I looked at your CDC reference. Maybe if someone coughed directly on your hand then you rubbed your eye? Your reference mentioned not being transmitted from food also.
    A lot of time has passed since those references last year and some of the Oriental countries have have extensively traced contacts might have found something. Earlier this year we read about tracing that found an air born transmission from a distance of 26 feet. Should be a lot of data out there. Just being able to find it may be hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    You are the one who makes your sites fake news in how you present them as evidence because they are written by journalists to do just that.

Not your doing I know yet you join in. The articles will always be aimed at a theme in your case it will support your beliefs largely and there will be journalistic sensationalism. In the article it often will have language which absolves the writer to a large extent with what he writes and how.

It the real world is as crazy as the writer then they get cart blance in their writing because the world may seem just as insane.
    Many times the ones who have some ethics in their journalism will place in such articles the contrary view which very often cancels out the import of their main article.

You facilitate such things and that is common with your sites. In addition to that they can be so general the articles are like walking through the swamp.

That is sort of your favorite place in the whole world anyway isn’t it? The Swamp?
    fact free

logic free

information free

I post data

you post blather

do carry on, you prove my point with every post

meanwhile Mississippi is going for #1 in the death cult race

9 of the top 10 states in covid deaths today are red states

Is that fake?

you offer no alternative information

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

. . . at the highly anticipated MMA pay per view event, the crowd erupted when Trump was introduced with chants of "WE WANT TRUMP!"
    No way that many voted Biden, everyone including you knows it. People come out to vote because they are passionate about a candidate, . . .

Just trying to follow the logic here . . .

1) Many MMA fans really like Trump. SteelrFn, too. Trump's the best at putting on an MMA style show in business (say, the Apprentice) or politics (say, his pep speech right before the January 6th attack on the Capitol).*
    screen-shot-2021-09-13-4.32.45-pm.jpg

2) SteelrFn doesn't know anyone who wears body paint, gets drunk, and cheers wildly for Biden. Therefore, Biden (simultaneously dull and an evil genius) must have been the mastermind his own election victory. Probably by doing mental mind bending of all those election officials in key Republican-run districts . . .?

3) Everyone knows, it's just not possible to get elected unless you have passionate fans.**

* Interesting side note: Trump's pick to head up the Small Business Administration was MMA owner, exec, and major donor (Linda McMahon) - who then left the job to work on Trump's 2020 PAC - losing in the process but still happy to see him promoted at MMA events. Isn't that just special?

** Which, of course, means that scintillating personalities such as Herbert Hoover and Richard Nixon also managed to cheat their way to stardom.

21. Likes dcsipo, Big B, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems most here voted for a rich,very old white man as president,and expected to have a good outcome.....I think the only other country on the planet run by a geriatric was Zimbabwe,and that didnt go very well.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

joe can mail the vax to us. we'll certify ourselves and mail it back to him.
    good enough for elections. right comrades
    wink wink.

24. Likes CalG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chineshop_guy View Post
    joe can mail the vax to us. we'll certify ourselves and mail it back to him.
    good enough for elections. right comrades
    wink wink.
    Pitiful. I've met salmon smarter than you.

I guess that was Mr Darwin's point. Who are we to stand in the way of natural selection ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)