What's new
What's new

1930's Automobile Mfg. video

WOW! I’m awed by the amount of mechanical automation that they came up with back then, when engineers used #2 pencils and slide rules. And the shear mass of those forming dies! I wonder how much those guys were paid back then, and how many cars they were able to produce a day.
Reading some of the Wikipedia page that the video linked to made me think of how all of that industry supported the war effort.
It was no small feat to produce all of the equipment needed to fight a global war back then!

Thanks for posting …..Interesting and thought provoking.

WOW! I’m awed by the amount of mechanical automation that they came up with back then, when engineers used #2 pencils and slide rules. And the shear mass of those forming dies! I wonder how much those guys were paid back then, and how many cars they were able to produce a day.
Reading some of the Wikipedia page that the video linked to made me think of how all of that industry supported the war effort.
It was no small feat to produce all of the equipment needed to fight a global war back then!

Thanks for posting …..Interesting and thought provoking.

I was pretty shocked by how much automation there was too! I'd hate to try and de-bug the relay cabinet for one of those lines though.

Fascinating video but those concerned about wages and living conditions should stop up and remember that those were the days when almost every country in the world admired and wanted their country to be just like "America". Conditions were rough and tough for most but could any country claim to be better off then?

Gordon

Does anyone know which car plant that was? ,presumably in Detroit?

Flint,
Wierd to recognize the windows and pillars many years later and try to get just where the camera was sitting.
A couple of different buildings in town in this video.
Not many places in the world where the body comes down from the second floor. Great fun when a red body comes down to be matched with a set of white fenders and hood.:)
Bob

Fascinating video but those concerned about wages and living conditions should stop up and remember that those were the days when almost every country in the world admired and wanted their country to be just like "America". Conditions were rough and tough for most but could any country claim to be better off then?

Gordon

One can only guess that you have known no one working in auto at this time.
60-80 hours, no overtime, no time off for any reason.
No talking, not one word, even on your 15 minute lunch break in the middle of your 12 hour day.
Hurt your pinky in a press trying to keep up? You are fired.
Trip and fall running to work to make the bell and twist your ankle? Goodbye.
Reach 40 years old? You are fired as you are too old to keep up.
Do anything outside work that the private "police force" does not like and you are lucky to stay alive.
Once fired you are blacklisted and can not work in any auto plant in Flint or Detroit.
My grandfather's brother went to work in the copper mines in the UP as it was a much easier way to make a living.

Your post shows that you know nothing of what drove the "slaves" to revolt and form the UAW.
Interesting that even during the depression others wanted to be just like the US.

Bob

And if you do search for master hands you should find more video. I believe this is missing the beginning that starts with the forging of the crank.

Not many places in the world where the body comes down from the second floor.

Not many two story plants left. Flint Truck and Bus still has a body drop from the second floor. I think some of the paint ovens were actually on the roof in my Dads day.

One can only guess that you have known no one working in auto at this time.

Your post shows that you know nothing of what drove the "slaves" to revolt and form the UAW.
Interesting that even during the depression others wanted to be just like the US.

Bob

True that I don't know much about the auto industry back then (or even much since) but why only single out the auto industry when there are many other industries where things were just as bad?

I've just had a look at the coal mining and textile industries back then and it wasn't just limited to adults. Children were used too. Did your grandfather know much about those industries or did he just tell you about the one he knew about and as he remembered it? No I'm NOT saying he didn't remember correctly or lied, just that he told it as he lived and saw it.

My point was that other countries weren't better and some much worse.

Just asking but can you imagine the posts and replies if a non American wrote your post?

Gordon

I've just had a look at the coal mining and textile industries back then and it wasn't just limited to adults. Children were used too. Did your grandfather know much about those industries or did he just tell you about the one he knew about and as he remembered it?......

Just asking but can you imagine the posts and replies if a non American wrote your post?

Gordon

LOL,
Grandpa, his brother and Grandma came from Cornwall so the family knows a little about mining and child labor.
A plus to the strikers who got some of the best, no power, no light, trapped in a dark room food ever passed through the window every day.
Genuine, old school, Cornwall pasties.
Bob

Back