What's new
What's new

25% Tarifs effective March 26/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

omcgee

Plastic
My supplier is raising prices on tool Steel M2,PM M48 effective 3/26 even though they have 1000,s of #,s on the floor and will be awhile before they actually will be paying the Tariff.
I have about two days that i could get enough to finish out the year.

"As a further update on the impending tariffs,
Code:
[CODE][CODE][CODE]
[/CODE][/CODE][/CODE]will be including a 25% increase to all of our prices for imported material effective with orders shipped March 26, 2018.

Tool steel and high speed steel production capacity in the United States is not in place to handle the current market demand. We are hopeful that our government will come to this realization quickly and exempt these products from the tariff".

I know my customers and know that if I immediately raise my prices they are going to want proof that I paid the Tariff.
Thoughts

I just this morning read an article addresing this that seemed to make a lot of sense (to my pea brain anyway) He talks about steel and aluminum (beer kegs one example):cheers: so it was easy to understand.
"In order for protectionism to work, the tarrifs should be on outputs, not on inputs. A protectionist strategy is to buy raw materials cheaply, and sell finished manufactured goods at a high value-added price."
I recomend reading the rest of the article. Here is where this quote came from:
Trump’s Misunderstanding of Protectionism -- Michael Hudson - PaulCraigRoberts.org

I know my customers and know that if I immediately raise my prices they are going to want proof that I paid the Tariff.
Thoughts

Hello omcgee,
Most steel and aluminum suppliers have already increased their prices on both foreign and domestic materials regardless of when the tariff was to be enacted.

Your customers should already be prepared for a cost increase, don't let them pressure you. Pass it on.

I had a PO in place 7 weeks ago for stainless and the shit bags nailed me for an extra 5300 bucks.
same strip, same mill, same labor, F them!
Over and out.

I'm sorry for your trouble in this matter.

Any steel or aluminum supplier that doesn't own-up to an legitimate PURCHASE ORDER should be recognized by all members of this forum.

This kind of business practice may very well have adverse legal ramifications.

Strange. Over here I haven't read or seen any rise in prices for steel or aluminium.

The winner every time seems to be greed. Nope I'm wrong. You don't have greedy suppliers, you have smart ones.

Where have I heard that before?

Reminds me of the story of the woman that went into her bank to deposit a $1,000 bill.
The bank clerk refused and said it was a forgery.
Her next words? "I've been raped".

I just this morning read an article addresing this that seemed to make a lot of sense (to my pea brain anyway) He talks about steel and aluminum (beer kegs one example):cheers: so it was easy to understand.
"In order for protectionism to work, the tarrifs should be on outputs, not on inputs. A protectionist strategy is to buy raw materials cheaply, and sell finished manufactured goods at a high value-added price."
I recomend reading the rest of the article. Here is where this quote came from:
Trump’s Misunderstanding of Protectionism -- Michael Hudson - PaulCraigRoberts.org

Good article. Unfortunately, we've got a President who's so god damned stupid that learning how to use a roll of toilet paper would strain the limits of his intelligence. No chance of that dumbass bastard understanding Hudson's point since he demonstrates on a regular basis that he's incapable of understanding anything other than how to be a lowlife debt-dodging lying piece of shit.

Good article. Unfortunately, we've got a President who's so god damned stupid that learning how to use a roll of toilet paper would strain the limits of his intelligence. No chance of that dumbass bastard understanding Hudson's point since he demonstrates on a regular basis that he's incapable of understanding anything other than how to be a lowlife debt-dodging lying piece of shit.

LOL If I'd written that some would accuse me of bad mouthing the USA.

Trump isn't the USA but sadly, he is the president. Some can't see the difference.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

Oh wait, bend over and get jew ass rammed by your fellow American looking for a great excuse to Fn hose you cause they can..

Hey, we might have a racist idiot in the Whorehouse, sorry, White House, but that doesn't mean it's OK to pull out the "Jew" stuff. You might as well start throwing the "N" word around too. Just for the record, we don't control the weather, (all of) Hollywood, or all the money. If we did have all the money one of my guys isn't sharing enough.

If you really want to "J" off, I'm sure you can find some of your fellow losers on the Aryan websites.

Now fuck off and eat shit, would you?

I read it as an accent rather than a religion.

Maybe. Does it matter? There's been a rise in such language since Drumpf was elected, as his win has "empowered" these losers. It's not right, just like it's not right to pull out the N word.

Usually the folks who bring out such "speech" are pretty weak, and need to find someone to oppress and blame to make themselves look stronger. Doesn't work, but it's such an old tactic that it'll always be around. Still needs folks to step forwards and say "Not OK".

So I did.

Maybe. Does it matter? There's been a rise in such language since Drumpf was elected, as his win has "empowered" these losers. It's not right, just like it's not right to pull out the N word.

Usually the folks who bring out such "speech" are pretty weak, and need to find someone to oppress and blame to make themselves look stronger. Doesn't work, but it's such an old tactic that it'll always be around. Still needs folks to step forwards and say "Not OK".

So I did.

See the recent thread where someone said "chings" repeatedly, as if swapping the 'k' out made it less offensive.

My supplier is raising prices on tool Steel M2,PM M48 effective 3/26 even though they have 1000,s of #,s on the floor and will be awhile before they actually will be paying the Tariff.
I have about two days that i could get enough to finish out the year.

"As a further update on the impending tariffs,
Code:
[CODE][CODE][CODE]
[/CODE][/CODE][/CODE]will be including a 25% increase to all of our prices for imported material effective with orders shipped March 26, 2018.

Tool steel and high speed steel production capacity in the United States is not in place to handle the current market demand. We are hopeful that our government will come to this realization quickly and exempt these products from the tariff".

Thoughts

It's just like prices at the pump going up immediately with, or even in anticipation of, increases in oil prices. And it's not like they go down in-sync either.

Publicly shaming suppliers who can't provide proof of tariff payment is a good approach. Make it part of the cert process "as specified by your customer". Casually mention that if they 'say' they paid tariff, but really didn't, "that would be fraud, wouldn't it?" And then, have them back-up their verbal/email quote with a snail-mail copy... "which would make it mail fraud, too, right?" May or may not work, but they'll know you know what's going on.

Plus, is the tariff 25% over their acquisition cost, or their selling price? Could be a difference there.

Obviously, not a lawyer, nor a tariff-ist.

A large argument for putting the price of existing stock up is that the supplier will have to pay the tariffed price to replace that stock. Still, maybe Bourbon prices will come down if the rest of the world levies retaliatory tariffs. :D

It's just like prices at the pump going up immediately with, or even in anticipation of, increases in oil prices. And it's not like they go down in-sync either.

Publicly shaming suppliers who can't provide proof of tariff payment is a good approach. Make it part of the cert process "as specified by your customer". Casually mention that if they 'say' they paid tariff, but really didn't, "that would be fraud, wouldn't it?" And then, have them back-up their verbal/email quote with a snail-mail copy... "which would make it mail fraud, too, right?" May or may not work, but they'll know you know what's going on.

Plus, is the tariff 25% over their acquisition cost, or their selling price? Could be a difference there.

Obviously, not a lawyer, nor a tariff-ist.

If the tariff "nonsense" gets dropped again bet you prices won't drop. At least not at even close to the speed they went up your side of the pond.

I had a PO in place 7 weeks ago for stainless and the shit bags nailed me for an extra 5300 bucks.
same strip, same mill, same labor, F them!
Over and out.

It sounds like the kind of opportunistic price gouging some outfits always try whenever any policy changes get bandied about in the news. Or perhaps they are #RESISTers looking to increase pain for political purposes. In any case I would not forget what they have done and would be researching alternative suppliers.

Sometimes the short term pain works out for the better. I just had someone I've dealt with for years for some personal business try to put one over on me. I can't reveal any details for legal reasons but I've switched my business to someone who not only does much better work but is substantially lower in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back