25% Tarifs effective March 26/2018 - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metlmunchr View Post
    Good article. Unfortunately, we've got a President who's so god damned stupid that learning how to use a roll of toilet paper would strain the limits of his intelligence. No chance of that dumbass bastard understanding Hudson's point since he demonstrates on a regular basis that he's incapable of understanding anything other than how to be a lowlife debt-dodging lying piece of shit.
    MAGA or something lock her up Ben Gazi emails yugest bigly win.

Also, isn't there another thread on this already?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone mentioned that some material buyers being the supplier or seller to companies may have large huge inventories in stock (dumped steel and Aluminum) or even companies may have also large quantities on hand. The idea is to upcharge non tariff material like a tariff was paid for extra profit. That would be fraud I think.

What I was told once by a friend blew my mind a outfit he worked for bought as much inconclusive as they could to fulfill orders likely under contract to the extent my friend claimed basically bought up most all that size material made for the year. It is one way to keep a customer to mostly control access to a great extent as a smart tactic.

I do not know if my friend was accurate really as I thought suppliers do not feel right selling too much or all of what special material which are made to one company. My friend worked in that shop which was family owned and operated thus more situated to know what really was done.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmmm seems the EU are exempt from the tariffs. Your (USA) prices will still go up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    ::Crucible Industries:: Our Products
    usa made tool steel. maybe give a call and find out price
    They don't offer round bar in M48/Rex76.
    Sounds like Eu will be exempt.

Thanks for the reply's guys .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kinda makes you wonder what these guys are up to recently...

Aluminum Commodity gaming by large banks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by omcgee View Post
    They don't offer round bar in M48/Rex76.
    Sounds like Eu will be exempt.

Thanks for the reply's guys .
    possibly a usa manufacturer can make it. usually their is a minimum quantity and possible setup charge.
    many Chinese manufactures get discounts cause they buy in large lots like 50 tons often getting 50% discount. i remember a place making a 6 by 35mm by 500 mm part and i go see their inventory of 4" round bars. apparently sending to a rolling mill to get 4" round rolled to a rectangular size is not a problem. it was cheaper to buy in big round bars. the manufacturing engineers could talk for hours on it and how to manufacture parts cheaper

7. Likes TFPace liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Hmmmm seems the EU are exempt from the tariffs. Your (USA) prices will still go up.

That indicates to me that Trump believes the tariffs to be a effective catalyst for change and negotiations. The foreign steel and aluminum may likely be bought up first since it is cheaper? I am not sure about that because of the materials I have machined from China are not as good as American made IMO and experience. I believe the tariffs thrown in do fulfill a campaign promise and also provide leverage and negotiating room.

Remember we are reviewing NAFTA now. Not only do the Mexicans say they will not pay one dime for the wall they for decades not done much at all to stop illegal immigration and drug inflow into our country and that has cost us a bundle and has brought out the worst in American employers taking advantage of foreign laborers. Even Trump has been said to stiff payment to them. That means crooks rise while law abides suffer for not paying illegal workers lower wages stiffing the American worker and increasing the suffering of American families who must support their families.

Maybe we import more finished goods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    That indicates to me that Trump believes the tariffs to be a effective catalyst for change and negotiations. The foreign steel and aluminum may likely be bought up first since it is cheaper? I am not sure about that because of the materials I have machined from China are not as good as American made IMO and experience. I believe the tariffs thrown in do fulfill a campaign promise and also provide leverage and negotiating room.

Remember we are reviewing NAFTA now. Not only do the Mexicans say they will not pay one dime for the wall they for decades not done much at all to stop illegal immigration and drug inflow into our country and that has cost us a bundle and has brought out the worst in American employers taking advantage of foreign laborers. Even Trump has been said to stiff payment to them. That means crooks rise while law abides suffer for not paying illegal workers lower wages stiffing the American worker and increasing the suffering of American families who must support their families.

Maybe we import more finished goods.
    When did it become mexicos job to control our borders?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Precisely! The UK has border control people at the Channel Tunnel entrance in France to stop illegal imegrants before they get to the UK. By the time they've got there, they've traveled 200-800 miles through France. It isn't France's job to stop folks getting out, just as it isn't Mexico's job. Folks criticised Cuba for trying to stop folks leaving.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...The idea is to upcharge non tariff material like a tariff was paid for extra profit. That would be fraud I think.
    You can offer goods for sale at whatever price you want, doesn't matter why. Nobody's obligated to buy it, unless it was contracted for with a "surcharge prevailing at time of shipment" written in. In which case it's not fraud, just a severe bite in the ass. That's why manufacturers hoard strategic materials...

12. Likes Spinit, Alloy Mcgraw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im dealing with it to. 6" pipe jumped about 40% my supplier told me they are just turning boats around until it all settles down. I have a decent sized 400' of 8" and 12"stainless pipe order on and it also jumped 20% after the quote but before the contract was signed that one is going to hurt. its a public work job so Im going to eat it. I have tried to use US steel before and it was just crap least the few runs we got. really soft when trying to drive it, it would fold over and welded worse than chinese crap. for me philippines or Korean pipe work the best, even paying tariff I will still buy it if its within a dollar or or so of us pipe.

14. Likes JoeE., Spinit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what tariffs ? when just about every country getting a exemption who exactly is paying the tariff ?? even South Korean getting exemption if they limit it to 70% of last years tonnage. seems its just a negotiating item to make better deals
    anybody can increase prices and you are free to shop around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As has been stated before...China's steel exports to us is miniscule in the big scheme of things.

I guess it's China trump wanted to punish, but he just "sprayed and prayed" when shooting off his mouth about applying tariffs and painted everyone with the same brush.

So, now, they've walked back all the tough talk and have to lift the tariffs from all our friends. Incompetent is what trump is.

At work, I'd been seeing railroad car load after car load of finished Canadian Steel products headed south... Pipe, Plate, Rod and Coils.... all heading to distribution outlets.

About the only American ferrous items I've seen being shipped are carloads of shred, and it's going to mills in Arkansas. There is not much of that compared to a few years ago. Man, there for a while... every train going through here that went to Ark. had between 10 and 20 gondola loads of shred and bigger ferrous for the mills.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it is really one sided as Mexico does not have their heart or sense of duty to hinder illegal immigration and the flow of drugs which many totally blame on Americans for demand of these seems to justify corruption of law enforcement over drug cartels who also have abused their own citizens even murdering them.

When the Mexican Government looks the other way - a lot they do not protect those who are trafficked as sex slaves or controlled in much the same way as ownership damn near is that minority of smugglers will do. It is immoral by a long shot.

In our case case we must also keep protection on our side of the border preventing and disrupting the illegal gun and firearm trade. Also to find the people here in the states who profit from modern day essentially slavery especially in the sex abomination which exists.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further thoughts knowing between borders for a long time neither of us cared it was basically trust,friendship,and open border.

I think with the problems of drugs and illegal immagration we provided assistance to Mexico during their extreme economic crisis to stabilize the peso and refused a offer by Mexico to give us land in payment-we refused because we liked Mexico because so many people here of Mexican descent who even fought on the side of Texas for independence means Mexico and the United States especially the Border states have a undeniable blood connection and cultural exchange.

Mexico was open to helping out with our requests requests and they received compensation for their trouble. Yet there has been corruption in Mexico which you of all posters should appreciate and understand how it effects both countries efforts in regards to the problems. Call them out Miguels it is the right thing to do and you can do it very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further thoughts knowing between borders for a long time neither of us cared it was basically trust,friendship,and open border.

I think with the problems of drugs and illegal immagration we provided assistance to Mexico during their extreme economic crisis to stabilize the peso and refused a offer by Mexico to give us land in payment-we refused because we liked Mexico because so many people here of Mexican descent who even fought on the side of Texas for independence means Mexico and the United States especially the Border states have a undeniable blood connection and cultural exchange.

Mexico was open to helping out with our requests requests and they received compensation for their trouble. Yet there has been corruption in Mexico which you of all posters should appreciate and understand how it effects both countries efforts in regards to the problems. Call them out Miguels it is the right thing to do and you can do it very well.
    Why should I in particular be sensitive to Mexico’s problems?

Remember, many of the problems with failed states south of us are at least partially of our own making.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it is about to get a LOT worse for manufacturing in the US after this list was published. No idea where else you would get equipment from, or even ingredients for medicines. Regardless your local importers will up the prices accordingly, as already evidenced by some on this thread.
    I suspect everything on this list is going up 25% now.
    Here's the list of Chinese kit facing extra US import tariffs: Hard disk drives, optic fiber, PCB making equipment, etc • The Register
    https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files...ses/301FRN.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gerritv View Post
    I think it is about to get a LOT worse for manufacturing in the US after this list was published. No idea where else you would get equipment from, or even ingredients for medicines. Regardless your local importers will up the prices accordingly, as already evidenced by some on this thread.
    I suspect everything on this list is going up 25% now.
    Here's the list of Chinese kit facing extra US import tariffs: Hard disk drives, optic fiber, PCB making equipment, etc • The Register
    https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files...ses/301FRN.pdf
    The flip side is, those Chinese companies will have to sell that stuff elsewhere so I might see prices *drop*.

That'll do wonders for the ability of US manufacturers to gain export markets, won't it?

Sometimes (actually a lot of the time) I think you guys just want to keep living in your bubble where the world still as it was in the 1950's.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    The flip side is, those Chinese companies will have to sell that stuff elsewhere so I might see prices *drop*.

That'll do wonders for the ability of US manufacturers to gain export markets, won't it?

Sometimes (actually a lot of the time) I think you guys just want to keep living in your bubble where the world still as it was in the 1950's.

PDW
    Only the republicans.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post

PDW
    donnie is the most bubbliest of people living in that bubble. When he says he is going to bring jobs back to America, that is what he is talking about. Big steel plants belching black pollutants in the air. Guys digging coal by hand and and coming out of the mines black as night(as some of my relatives did). He, living in his gold plated world, does not have the smarts to understand those days are long gone. America sold itself out by not keeping up with new technology and reinvesting in itself, putting the money instead into its pockets. I myself, being an old fart and to paraphrase an old Ronnie Milsap song "Lost in the 60's tonite", realize that things have to keep changing to keep up. Our current administration is afraid of pissing the boss of by telling him he is wrong on most everything that comes out his mouth. Until enough people get fed up with him and boot him out of office, The USA will keep rolling downhill. Sad to say it, even sadder to see it.

24. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, metlmunchr, dcsipo liked this post