Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    actually most countries have quite low tariffs, if any, on US goods.
    I agree that the US is among the lowest tariffs in the world.

Trade-weighted comparisons only count things that are actually traded, and omit items that are not traded due to the high tariffs or other barriers on those products. You end up only counting the things that are not subject to the high tariff rates and regulatory barriers.

The US does not get the same preferential treatment in the EU on things like agricultural products as say Chile or Mexico. Over the past couple decades the EU's AG imports have grown significantly, but the US market share has declined.

eu-ag-trade.jpg

Trump tariffs China 25% on steel, the EU tariffs 75 to 100% on the same products. Where is the outcry from Hanermo and Gordon?

I'm personally fine with matching tariffs on everything, with everyone we trade with. No exceptions, let competitiveness be the deciding force. You tariff our cars at 10%, we do the same. You set an import quota of 50,000 units, we set the exact same quota on your products.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It isn't so much a case of preferential treatment, it's a case of popular pressure (not farmers' pressure) in the EU to not permit the sale of hormone treated meat, chlorinated water sterilised poultry and genetically modified crops for human consumption. There are reasons for this that don't relate to international trade (EU farmers are banned from using the same processes). This greatly limits the products that US farmers can export unless they accept European production standards.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Trump tariffs China 25% on steel, the EU tariffs 75 to 100% on the same products. Where is the outcry from Hanermo and Gordon?
    You might get an outcry from one of us if you can show documentation for that claim.

Steel: Commission intends to impose definitive safeguard measures on imports of certain steel products | European Commission

That's about the best I could find and doesn't exactly support your claim.

United States - Trade - European Commission

Not tariffs but export import.

USA-EU - international trade in goods statistics - Statistics Explained

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Playing Russian Roulette is a deadly fool's game as is "playing" with tarifs.

Nobody wins and at least one usually ends up dead.

Prohibition only escalated a problem into to an economic free-for-all. Some never learn.
    Trump's administration is dead right on this subject. No other previous administration has had the courage to sacrifice our economy's current trend for the benefits of the long term.

Meanwhile, this economy is accelerating forward. GDP is set to exceed 4% in upcoming quarters.

5. Likes Spinit, barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post

Meanwhile, this economy is accelerating forward. GDP is set to exceed 4% in upcoming quarters.
    Your post (#916) on DOW 30K, you still think so? You never responded to my post (#918) betting you that it won't.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Your post (#916) on DOW 30K, you still think so? You never responded to my post (#918) betting you that it won't.
    I will not wager (any $ amount) with any one person.

My DOW 30,000 call still stands, it might not get there in 14 days, but the most important question to any short seller listening is; does anyone want to get in front of this Freight Train?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My DOW 30,000 call still stands, it might not get there in 14 days, but the most important question to any short seller listening is; does anyone want to get in front of this Freight Train?
    I don't enjoy being in the train when the engineer is a madman. Haven't we seen this movie before, and read (or lived) the consequences?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I don't enjoy being in the train when the engineer is a madman. Haven't we seen this movie before, and read (or lived) the consequences?
    My main point is to make clear of the possible consequences of shorting (short selling) the NYSE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My main point is to make clear of the possible consequences of shorting (short selling) the NYSE.
    Well, I guess my concerns that world has gone mad are now put into perspective...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You might get an outcry from one of us if you can show documentation for that claim.

Steel: Commission intends to impose definitive safeguard measures on imports of certain steel products | European Commission

That's about the best I could find and doesn't exactly support your claim.
    That schedule is the same as the Trump has inmposed- 25% and it applies to all imports.

But that's not the end of it- The EU adds additional duties on Chinese steels.

EU imposes import duties of up to 73.7% on cheap Chinese steel | Business | The Guardian

EU raises import duties on Chinese steel, angering Beijing - Reuters

Commission extends anti-dumping measures on Chinese steel products - Trade - European Commission
    The Commission today prolonged the existing anti-dumping measures on Chinese imports of seamless pipes and tubes of stainless steel for another five years. The duties, ranging from 48.3% to 71.9% were imposed initially in 2011, providing a level-playing field and a breathing space for EU producers, based among others in France, Spain and Sweden.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I do wonder if it more a sneaky tax move.
    Yes, it's a backhanded tax, enacted by a dictator in contravention of everything democracy means and all of our laws. Do you remember "no taxation without representation" ?

13. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Yes, it's a backhanded tax, enacted by a dictator in contravention of everything democracy means and all of our laws. Do you remember "no taxation without representation" ?
    Yes. This is exactly the point a lot of people are missing. The government doesn't particularly care where their 25 percent is coming from because it's guaranteed off the top. As long as the milk jug keeps filling up, they're not really too concerned which cow it's coming from. If they had proposed a 25 percent national sales tax, people would be screaming about it at the very least, but this is much more subtle.

15. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post