What's new
What's new

331 mph Hypercar made in Wa. state!

Rob F.

Diamond
"SSC Tuatara Hypercar Earns World’s “Fastest Production Vehicle” Title
Tuatara Breaks World Records, as Racer, Oliver Webb Achieves 331MPH"

"October 19, 2020, Richland, WA – SSC North America, America’s first hypercar company, has reclaimed the coveted title of world’s “Fastest Production Vehicle,” this time with its 1,750hp Tuatara."

331 mph on public roads in Nevada.

Pretty cool that innovation is not dead here at home in USA!!

More at link:
SSC Tuatara Hypercar Earns World’s “Fastest Production Vehicle” Title | SSC Press Release

Interesting it makes 400 MORE hp on E85 compared to 91 octane. :eek: (1750-e85 to 1350hp on 91 octane)

Yeah, the "more on E85" is well known, when tuned for the needed richening of the mixture. Sort of a built-in intercooling from the evaporation of alcohol and all that. But mileage goes way down due to the lower BTU content over gasoline.

It's a neat accomplishment, but I'm more impressed they found tires that would last at that speed. I remember the early talk of the Veyron, and how they were supposed to replace tires (at ~$42K) after fifteen or so minutes of a top speed run. And that was at a slow 250 MPH!

14 Fascinating Things You Didn’t Know About Bugatti – Robb Report

In fairness, the Tuatara uses a fairly small engine, under 6L, which is less than 3/4's of the Veyron/Chiron's 8L. If it lasts reasonably well it's damn impressive. And hell, it's got to be 20% or less than the cost of rebuilding one of the W16's...

What's innovative about sticking a huge motor on four wheels, Rob ? Unless you mean the "innovation" of getting it classified as a production car ?

Yeah that’s all it was, a big motor on 4 wheels. Like the 850hp 46.9 liter v12 BMW Brutus. What was the top speed on the Brutus again? Was it 260mph.. oh wait no it was 160mph.

Innovation to keep a car together at 331mph. Ya know at speeds so high you NEED wings to keep it ON the ground.

I’m American but your comment made me wanna call you a wanker

Innovation to keep a car together at 331mph. Ya know at speeds so high you NEED wings to keep it ON the ground.
It's not innovation if it's been done for years. Chaparral came out with wings in what, 1966 ? Wilbur and Orville were innovators, the guys who added winglets to 747s, not so much.

Mill, if you like small motors, check out Champion Speed Shop :) Speaking of machining, Sammy Hale grinds cranks. Himself, not as a capitalist overlord sitting at a desk.

Yeah that’s all it was, a big motor on 4 wheels. Like the 850hp 46.9 liter v12 BMW Brutus. What was the top speed on the Brutus again? Was it 260mph.. oh wait no it was 160mph.

Umm, yeah? Brutus was a ancient Aero-engine beast, not really relevant to Chiron or Tautara conversation. I mean, Jeremy Clarkson drove it, so it has to be old... :D

Jeremy Clarkson vs 'The Brutus' Bomber BMW (TOP GEAR) - YouTube

More on the Tautara run, piloted by a different Brit:
The inside story of the SSC Tuatara’s harrowing land-speed record run

Yeah, the "more on E85" is well known, when tuned for the needed richening of the mixture. Sort of a built-in intercooling from the evaporation of alcohol and all that. But mileage goes way down due to the lower BTU content over gasoline.

How long have they run Indy on meth ? Sprinters, midgets, and pre-war race cars too. No idea why people should be surprised at this ?

What's innovative about sticking a huge motor on four wheels, Rob ? Unless you mean the "innovation" of getting it classified as a production car ?

My only experience with E85 "pump gas" is with a buddies flex fuel pick up truck. He uses it because it is cheaper. He also gets LESS power and worse mileage with it. His engine is obviously optimized for gasoline.
I am sure he is paying the same cost per mile, as the more efficent gasoline...
I was just surprised they could get 400 extra horses out of the same E85 pump gas that my budies truck is designed for but does poorly on.
No question that RACING FUEL , meth etc....will be better
1700+ or so HP is what the Allison V12's from WW2 put out, tractor pull guys used to do really well with those motors, have to be getting scarce by now.
P-38 had two of those, counter rotating;)

It's not innovation if it's been done for years. Chapparal came out with wings in what, 1966 ? Wilbur and Orville were innovators, the guys who added winglets to 747s, not so much.

Not so, old squash. Well before that: Who first adopted a wing to a race car? - F1technical.net

Mill, if you like small motors, check out Champion Speed Shop :) Speaking of machining, Sammy Hale grinds cranks, by the way. Personally.

I've seen better. Gimme a few hundred of these for my drag car: Mini Crazy Engines Starting Up and Sound That Must Be Reviewed - YouTube

Of course, tuning them all and synchronizing the carbs would make me cranky...

My only experience with E85 "pump gas" is with a buddies flex fuel pick up truck. He uses it because it is cheaper. He also gets LESS power and worse mileage with it.
If he gets worse mileage, is it really cheaper ?

Milland said:
Not so much, old squash. Well before that: Who first adopted a wing to a race car? - F1technical.net
The 300 SLR was an air brake, there's quite a bit about it in one of Jenkinson's books. The funny part about that was, they actually had a wing but didn't realize it. Maybe the germs aren't as smart as we think :)

Along those lines of thought, the D-Jags had the fin behind the driver that was a wing, too. And the '59 Caddy had ginormous vertical stabilizers ...

The older ones are interesting, but kinda like the crackpot in Joe's basement up in Montana invented nuclear fusion in 1917 but it never went anywhere. The Chaparrals had a wing, meant as a wing, that worked as a wing, in 1966 and everyone else copied that.

Innovator, I'd say.

If he gets worse mileage, is it really cheaper ?

He thinks it is, but I would bet it is a wash.

Years ago my brother used to commute in a jeep wrangler. It was cheaper for him to run the more expensive super unleaded. Motor must have ran the timing up against the knock sensor to make more power, so he used less gas to the same work :cheers:
I was more impressed that this was made in USA, last super car I saw was a euro thing.

I was more impressed that this was made in USA, last super car I saw was a euro thing.
Holman-Moody is still building the GT40 ? And it wasn't that long ago that Ford built and sold the GT, for a ridiculously reasonable price.

Now, if you want to talk fastest production car, that's the one that should win the prize. Modern, fast, practical, $116,000, and they made over a hundred of them.

Last I heard, Ford was a US company.

Holman-Moody is still building the GT40 ? And it wasn't that long ago that Ford built and sold the GT, for a ridiculously reasonable price.

Now, if you want to talk fastest production car, that's the one that should win the prize. Modern, fast, practical, $116,000, and they made over a hundred of them.

Last I heard, Ford was a US company.

Heh, you just outed yourself as a Chinese agent, not a US citizen. If you were really USian, you'd know the last generation Ford GT was designed by Ford, but made by Multimatic in Canada. And it went for ~$.5M, not a bit over a $100K. It's the Chinese knockoff that's that cheap...

And to be honest, while I love the styling and tech of the GT, it's the last gen ZR1 Corvette that really impresses me, with about the same power and lap times as the GT for a quarter the price. And when the new (C8) ZR1 or equivalent comes out, it'll blow the GT outta the water for less than half the cost.

Umm, yeah? Brutus was a ancient Aero-engine beast, not really relevant to Chiron or Tautara conversation. I mean, Jeremy Clarkson drove it, so it has to be old... :D

Jeremy Clarkson vs 'The Brutus' Bomber BMW (TOP GEAR) - YouTube

More on the Tautara run, piloted by a different Brit:
The inside story of the SSC Tuatara’s harrowing land-speed record run

My point was Technological innovation. The Brutus was 49 liters on 4 wheels. Ancient or not it WAS a actual HUGE engine on 4 wheels. My point is just putting a large engine on 4 wheels is NOT a cheat code for breaking records

Heh, you just outed yourself as a Chinese agent, not a US citizen. If you were really USian, you'd know the last generation Ford GT was designed by Ford, but made by Multimatic in Canada. And it went for ~$.5M, not a bit over a $100K.
Don't know where they were asembled but I remember distinctly when they came out. Ron Khol at Machine Design was all over it ... $ 116,000, taking reservations.

That woulda been a good investment, if I'da hadda the hunnerd k !

Don't know where they were asembled but I remember distinctly when they came out. Ron Khol at Machine Design was all over it ... $ 116,000, taking reservations.

That woulda been a good investment, if I'da hadda the hunnerd k !

Nopers, you're either dreaming or thinking of the 2006 generation. The current GT (they're still making them at a snail's pace, but I think they're all sold) started at around $400K or more. Maybe the smaller amount was a deposit, but no fine way was it the full price tag.

It's a neat accomplishment, but I'm more impressed they found tires that would last at that speed. I remember the early talk of the Veyron, and how they were supposed to replace tires (at ~$42K) after fifteen or so minutes of a top speed run. And that was at a slow 250 MPH!

14 Fascinating Things You Didn’t Know About Bugatti – Robb Report

minor correction, E85 makes more power mostly due to higher octane and resistance to detonation, which allows you to run more ignition advance. and typically air/fuel ratio is LEANED out when running E85. on gasoline, most tuners shoot for ~11.8:1 AFR, ethanol fuels people run as lean as 13.5:1

In fairness, the Tuatara uses a fairly small engine, under 6L, which is less than 3/4's of the Veyron/Chiron's 8L. If it lasts reasonably well it's damn impressive. And hell, it's got to be 20% or less than the cost of rebuilding one of the W16's...

i used to work at Nelson Racing engines as a fabricator about 6-7 years ago, they run an impressive business and turn out some amazing engines.

It's not innovation if it's been done for years. Chaparral came out with wings in what, 1966 ? Wilbur and Orville were innovators, the guys who added winglets to 747s, not so much.

Mill, if you like small motors, check out Champion Speed Shop :) Speaking of machining, Sammy Hale grinds cranks. Himself, not as a capitalist overlord sitting at a desk.

you are a tool...

Back