What's new
What's new

Ad ware i.e., Spy ware

cdw

Aluminum
Is it just me or does the rest of the forum readers get downloaded spy ware every time they enter here? I clean my machine before going to a sight then clean it again just before navigating it. I get downloads it seems everytime I enter here. We have discussed "Ethics" in the forum many times. I question the ethics of this action. Did I miss something in the agreement? Is the download of the ad-ware optional?

This never happened when I first joined up. I very much enjoy the dialog that goes on here. I just question the need to download unwanted software to my machine with the express purpose of tracking me. Is there a way to turn this off on the practical machinist setup?

Interested in all the opinions of other members and posters here.

Best, CDW

It's just you.

You really should get 2 things, if you have not already:

1) decent browser (suggestion - Mozilla Firefox)
2) an internet security program (suggestion - Avast or Net32)

Having those 2 things will make your web experience much more pleasant, as you can set controls to combat the problematic issues that you speak of.

I only allow first party cookies - i.e.; those which control session settings for the site that I'm currently navigating. The third party cookies, which is what I suspect you are calling "ad-ware", I do not allow.

This is the stated policy of this site, concerning cookies, which would also applly to "ad-ware" or "spy-ware":
This bulletin board uses cookies to store the following information: the last time you logged in, your login identification, and your preferences. These cookies are stored on your browser. Cookies are not used to perform any function other than to enhance your use of the message board. If your browser does not support cookies, or you have not enabled cookies on your browser, many of these time-saving features will not work properly and you will not be able log in. You must be logged in to use most functions of this board.
This can be found at the following location:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/faq.html#cookies

I would suggest that you get over to the Tom Coyote forums, (http://www.tomcoyote.org/) and take some steps to find out what is on your machine, and not worry at this point, where it appears to be coming from. That site is the best place in the world - in my opinion - to find out if you actually have something malicious on your machine. Take my advice - do EXACTLY what is recommended, and don't get caught up complaining about the inconvenience of it all. It will be worth your time.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate you posting the sites. I shall go there to see what it is I can do to eliminate the issues of ad-ware or spy-ware I am having to deal with.

Perhaps this will help others that have the same skill level with computers that I do. Thanks again.

Best, CDW

No problem. Not so long ago, I learned in much the same way as you are (or about to) today.

Good luck to you.

This is important , computet protection antivirus fire walls ,etc all needs to be addressed.

A buddy of mine runs his machine without all any protection.

Took quite a while, to get the system to erase the damn thing .

Now after having fixed it again (4th time) I finally got him to understand why this stuff is required.

He had a little bit of everything going .

viruses , adware , malware , etc Oh and my personal favorite the damn web page changer that will not let your computer do a thing until they get $$$$, registary value changer , tracking cookies that do not go away , unuthorized programs appearing on the computer that refuse to be destroyed, weird startup changes missing files , added files , password trogens / (phishing) the whole lot of crap

SO THIS IS IMPORTANT GET COMPUTER PROTECTION

FWIW, I have a cable modem, and my PC is always on line and plugged in to the cable modem. the trick is that a small network switch/firewall sets between my PC and the modem...and therefore the rest of the world.

I have bought several anti-virus and anti-spyware and anti-adware programs in the past, but more and more recently my ISP (Comcast) is including these things as part of my service.

At least some ISPs have figured out that viruses, spyware, adware, and other maleware has a direct impact on their network capacity...and they increasingly don't wish to build enough capacity for their subscribers PLUS all the scumbags.

Charles

If you want to see how good a job your firewall is doing, visit Steve Gibson's site at the Gibson Research website . Steve is one of the real pioneers in the PC industry, and his site's been on the air for almost 20 years.

About halfway down the page you'll find a link for Shields Up. This is an interactive test program which will probe your computer and attempt to identify open ports which might be vulnerable to attack. It's an excellent tool, used more than 43,000,000 times. If you pass this test, your machine is pretty secure, and you'll see this:

GRCOK.jpg

And while you're there look at the other utilities he has available. They're really useful, and most of them are free.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with GRC in any way.

Another alternative is to use Linux. I've been using it on the internet for ten years now, without any anti-virus or anti-spyware software, and I've never had a single problem. And I spend a LOT of time online. It's free as well. I don't understand why people continue to put up with viruses. In technical quality, I tend to equate microsoft products with a chinese made lathe :(

I LIKE SHIELDS UP it is the first test site that has not tryed to tell me something was wrong when it was not and then tryed to sell me there product.

My computer protection was set up by a IT that works at the navy base at China Lake Calif.

Back