What's new
What's new

Aluminum profile price in your country?

Rumin

Cast Iron
How much is it for extruding, anodizing per ton separately in your country? Who knows? The price in my country make me confusing.

Rumin, one of the amazing things about the USA is that there are so many different prices for the same thing.
Or at least for things that, at first glance, appear to be the same thing.

Aluminum extrusion prices here can vary a lot- yes, the basic price per pound of the aluminum alloy can even vary, depending on where it is from, traceability, and when you order.
Then, there is the extrusion shape itself- its always more for a custom, than a standard, but there is custom, and then there is custom- some dies need to be made, others are available, but not often run.
We have minimum orders, which vary depending on the mill- some as small as 1000lbs (500kg) while other mills wont even talk to you unless you want at least 40,000lbs.

There is no one answer to your question.
Hundreds of different profiles out there, in many different alloys, and time to manufacture, price, and availability varies wildly.

Anodizing is another, different problem.
We have much tighter water quality laws, and so anodizing is quite expensive, and getting harder to find, as companies shut down.
It varies a lot depending on quantity, color, alloy, quality expectations, and location.

Thank you for answering my question, art and Ries.
It seems to me that things in your country are a bit alike in China. Here, the price of aluminum alloy for raw material should be the same as that in American market. The lowest price for extrusion is Yuan6500 per ton and for anodizing is Yuan1500 per ton. We also have the minimum order requirement. That is 500kg.
I asked it because I once googled and found a piece of news saying the profile costs in America is only USD600 per ton. I wonder if it includes anodizing. Die making is another thing. It cost us too much in China.

Die cost is very relative, too.. if you turn it fast, you can charge more. Complex - charge a lot more... long life... charge more there, too....

A lot of different answers on cost. China is not always cheaper or faster. the US is not always more expensive or slower... like any business, conditions vary - and each job can be different.

makes for exciting times, as a designer.. So these differences are a good thing.

One tends to look for "regular channels" of business on these areas.. good companies to work with will stick out...

--jerry

Rumin, Aluminum is a commodity- that means the price varies daily, worldwide, based on people who are gambling on it.
Many commodities like aluminum are traded, bought and sold by people who do not manufacture anything, and have no intention of ever actually seeing the real metal- they buy it and sell it without physically possesing it.

So aluminum prices vary radically.
Typically, aluminum futures are bought and sold in 20 metric ton minimum lots- thats 44,000lbs.
If you buy 20,000 kilograms at a time, the current price is $2.76 US per kilogram. Thats about $1.25 per pound.
That means the raw material alone, before extruding into a profile, is going to cost at least $2500 per US ton.

No way is finished material here going to be anywhere near as cheap as your 6500Yuan, which is only something like $827.

I dont see how your 6500 yuan figure can be right- at 1 yuan to about .12 US, 6500 yuan is $826.28
That breaks down to your aluminum costing you .41 US cents per pound.
That is less than I can get paid for scrap aluminum here.
Any new aluminum products in the USA are generally going to run at least $2 US per pound.

So the answer to your first question is that aluminum profiles here cost us about 5 to 7 times as much as you pay there.
That would help explain why your products are so cheap.

I would guess a lot of the profiles you get that cheap are made from recycled aluminum.
Here, even if its recycled, once it has been reprocessed into a new product, it will sell for very close to the per pound price of a new alloy. Especially if it has been extruded into a profile.

There is no way aluminum profiles were as cheap as $600 US per ton any time in the last 30 or 40 years.

25 years ago I was paying 1.25 to 1.40 per lb for extrusions from lower end supplier, Mideast Aluminum, was always .25 per lb higher but better quality. Last time I had extrusions run in 2004, price was 1.50 per lb for about 3000 lbs of 12 lbs per foot stuff.

I got an offer. USD4500 per ton (including raw material, extrusion and anodizing with original color). I also worry about the recycled aluminum thing. They say there is no. It is the highest price I have got so far. My manager told me the price is almost the same as in Italy.

sounds right to me too. THer is recycled and recycled. First class extruders used speced billet, from aluminum that has been processed to purify it and adjust the alloy content, so you know 6061 is really that. The cheaper extruder I used made his own billet from scrap, the scrap went into the furnace, they then poured it into a vertical caster filtering the bottle caps and pebbles out with a screen. This is ok for some parts, obviously this saves money over an additional smelting step.

rumin, was your offer from a Chinese source?

Aluminum alloys are optimized for the intended process. There are alloys for casting and there are alloys for extruding. Certain constituents can be lost during remelting and must be replenished if you want to keep the same alloy. You need someone that knows what they are doing.

What quality level are you looking for, rumin? Is this a decorative part? A structural part? A precision part? A vehicle part? Architecural? A part upon which people's life and safety may be at risk if it fails? Does it have to withstand corrosion? Is it exposed to salt water? Chemicals?

Do you need large quantities or small quantities?

Tell me what you want this for. I want to know. Even if it isn't any of my business. I would like to see some USA extruder making your extrusion here and shipping it back on one of those empty ships headed to China. I don't think you can beat the quality in China. Maybe the price. Maybe not. More often than not, cheaper ends up being more expensive in the long run.

Thanks. Another question: Is 6063 better than 6061? We use it for our conveyor frame and surport.

Back