What's new
What's new

American Made Bridgeport mounted R8 collet tray?

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Is it possible to find an American made collet tray of the kind that mount to the side of the mill, as popularized by Bridgeport over the previous 50-ish years?

I am referring to this kind -
51YU50MU0ZL._SX466_.jpg

I want to purchase two and was surprised and disgusted that I could not find anything but chinese copies.

And before anyone suggests it, I already have other versions that get placed in other locations. I want this specific style for a reason.

I think the ones made in the states "were" the ones being made in the orient now (as in they moved production over there). We had a cast rack like that on each of our BP's. Most had the big "CHINA" cast into them, but an old one had an American makers mark (Enterprise New Castle Del.) on it that seemed to be the only difference in the casting. This is my own speculation, but I think that it's one of those pieces that are simple enough that noone'll bother casting them over here. There a probably some small companies producing them over here but they are likely cutting them out of plate stock rather than casting them.

You could talk to Hardinge? I'm not 100% positive this is the right part, since there's no picture or description, but I found it under the "Bridgeport Parts" section on their website.

ShopHardinge - BP 11490100

If you like, I can reach out to one of my contacts there and try to find out country of origin and whether it could become available for purchase.

I can understand wanting USA quality in a precision part or assembly, but in a collet rack?
My BP mills have the same rack, from China, purchased from MSC about 30? years ago. Seems like I remember they cost $8.50 at the time. No issues or complaints ever, they hold the collets, etc, just fine. Hardinge can probably supply one with their name cast into it, made in China, for around $85 or $185, To each his own.

I can understand wanting USA quality in a precision part or assembly, but in a collet rack?
My BP mills have the same rack, from China, purchased from MSC about 30? years ago. Seems like I remember they cost $8.50 at the time. No issues or complaints ever, they hold the collets, etc, just fine. Hardinge can probably supply one with their name cast into it, made in China, for around $85 or $185, To each his own.

Your point is not lost upon me. It is not always simply about precision. I also understand that some times there simply is no alternative. ( Many/most electronics, for example. ) I'm also the guy that puts effort into purchasing actually American made jeans, boots, shirts, and socks.

My personal ethos is to try to spend my money in outwardly radiating circles of economic impact. If I need something, I try to spend my money first on my block. If that is not possible, I open it up to my neighborhood. Then, my city. If that is not possible, I'll look to my area, my state, my region, and my Country. I believe in keeping the profit dollar as close to home, as possible.

I fully understand that one cannot always do so, as well as understand that it is not nearly as important to many others. I still try, though.

One of you guys with a laser should copy the chinese version, makes a run of 20 out of 1/4" plate with a cool logo, and then sell them as made in USA collet racks for $99 shipped.

I do not know your shop but often I have free time for for my helpers and send them to sweeping, mopping or coolant tanks.
Perhaps this time could be used to make such in house.
Not cost effective at all but training time on weird stuff does have a value.

One of you guys with a laser should copy the chinese version, makes a run of 20 out of 1/4" plate with a cool logo, and then sell them as made in USA collet racks for $99 shipped.

This is a joke, right! These silly things are on eBay for $20 clams and you want someone to make them stateside for $100 clams and offer them to the cheapest skinflints around, because they're made in the USA. That's why they're made in China now..cheap cheap!

Stuart

That's why they're made in China now..cheap cheap!
This is something I haven't figured out. I'm painting a room right now, quality latex paint is about $30 US a gallon, okay, but the scrapers and brushes and so on are nothing. A paint brush that goes for $1.50 at Lowes or Harbor Freight (same ones) is about twelve cents. Or a $4 scraper is about thirty cents. But an ice cream cone, cheapest one at KFC, is three times that. (Haagen-Dazs is a total rip, six times the US price, and it's everywhere. They must be making a killing, and if they don't kill the Trumpkin over these tariffs it'll be a miracle.) Apartments cost a ridiculous amount to buy, while rent is cheap cheap.

It's not just that prices are cheaper (on a lot of things they are not) but that the areas they are cheaper in is completely different.

It makes you think a lot of these "economic laws" are full of shit. Things that should not work, do ... but maybe in unexpected ways.

btw, no one is starving over the pork shortage, it just costs more these days, guess we'll have to survive on chicken and beef and fish, oh my.

Back