What's new
What's new

American warship breaks down, needs a tow.

smalltime

Banned
USS Milwaukee breaks down at sea

I know very little about ship building, so I have a few questions for those that do.

#1 Why are the Canadians building boats for the US Navy?

#2 Shouldn't you test the engines too see that they aren't shedding shavings BEFORE you put to sea?

What say you?

Definitely not made in Canada, I don't think we've built a navy ship in over 20yrs and they're just finally about ready to start building some more(10-15 if it doesn't get canceled entirely...), which meant entirely rebuilding 2 shipyards over the last 4yrs or so, plus some other fabrication places required.

Propulsion and other issues on new ships (US and others) have happened quite a few times and other stuff to sort out. Pretty sure its part of doing the sea trials and commissioning them, usually takes months, to years on some new designs that are full of problems(or bad work...). Sure would seem this sort of stuff should happen a lot less today with all the technology, procedures and what not, but somehow it just seems to happen more and more with every project.

You guys in the US have a hard enough time building them as it is, and somehow the Canadian government thought they could do the same starting from scratch with near zero experienced people left, and somehow do it for less $ than it costs in the US... they're just now starting to realize that it ain't gonna happen short of finding a lot more money, or reducing the number ordered.

Navy is usually strict about command; wouldn't be surprised if commander is relieved.

Commander is usually present during ship's build, if first commander of new ship.

John McCain is NOT happy about this, it seems.

Hopefully it's just FOD in the oil system left in by the Rolls Royce assembly team.

Some time ago I built small turbines. We would put a very strong magnet on the oil drain plug. Sometimes we found burrs or other bits after the first run.

Am I the only one here who thinks the term "plug and play" probably should not be used to
describe warship features?

Sometimes reliability trumps versatility.

It's the navy's answer to the f35 raptor, billions over budget and years behind schedule. Built in Wisconsin at a company owned by the Italian government. Probably makes it easy to control access to all that "top secret" shit when it is built at a foreign owned company.

British turbines french standby diesel power and Italian gensets.

I thought that there were laws regarding the manufacture of munitions and equipment that made it illegal to rely on outside sources, did that law get repealed?

WTF?

I thought that there were laws regarding the manufacture of munitions and equipment that made it illegal to rely on outside sources, did that law get repealed?

WTF?
You're way behind the times. Many years ago a NATO treaty was signed to promote common weapon systems and cross consumption of common logistics. This allows and actually promotes inter-NATO acquisitions and support. When this occurred the Federal Stock Number (FSN)changed to the National Stock Number (NSN) by adding 3 digits behind the item class code.

It's worse than you know. The other version of the Littoral Combat Ship is built in Mobile by an Australian builder. Both classes are under armed and quite vulnerable. When transiting the Panama canal they are too low for the "mules" to control them and they hit the lock walls.

It's entirely predictable, with this forum, that blame will be laid on this maker or that, in the absence of any actual knowledge, or even any attempt to find out more. No matter which maker, as long as they're foreign. If anyone’s interested in engineering here, they might do better to wonder why a US-designed warship has to be towed to safety despite having four independent engines and four propulsion systems.

In passing, the diesel propulsion engines aren't all that French. They're made by Fairbanks Morse.

My son in law worked at Marinette for a year. Some of the workers have been known to come work in some stage of drunkenness. He had no problem with the American supervisors, BUT the Italian managers-owners were a piece of work, to put it nicely! Pompous attitude at best and that is where the problems originate.

It's worse than you know. The other version of the Littoral Combat Ship is built in Mobile by an Australian builder. Both classes are under armed and quite vulnerable. When transiting the Panama canal they are too low for the "mules" to control them and they hit the lock walls.

OK, I am not a military buff of any kind
and not overly involved with the LCS project other than making some components for tooling and support equipment for a local shop who does directly work with the project.

Anyhow, these things are quite impressive.
The reason ( as I understand it ) for Austal being the primary contractor for the construction is that they are the designers of the Trimaran hull, which in the case of the these boats
are also made of all Aluminum.
These things are capable of a sustained cruising speed of 51MPh, while having only a 14ft draft ( which brings in the question of problems in navigating through the Panama Canal ??? )

As these images show, they are not exactly what you'd call fishing boats: USS Independence (LCS-2) - Littoral Combat Ship / Corvette - History, Specs and Pictures - Navy Ships

Back