Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    You are right, it does take a lot of time to change entire assembly lines, But this pandemic was not a mystery, it was known in January, now we know the extent and there is still no plan...Elon Musk said they can start making ventilators in 2 months, Mary Barra stated she is game to try whatever...others said let's do it, where is the leadership to make it happen? Not trying leads to instant failure.

Some of the things are easy, some of them are really hard, but everything is impossible without managing things.

dee
    ;-D
    Elon would likely sub these parts out to his vendors as I doubt he has the capacity to make that many. People start scrambling during times like these and are looking to get rich and that is fine but no one is asking for a free ride.

One can look at the past to understand profit for making these things and how to ensure Americans do the work. It is a state of emergency and so we should work together and avoid getting over on citizens or on the trade.

2. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gavin Newsom did his update today. He said CA has 10 million N95 masks in their reserve, and is receiving shipments from the Strategic National Stockpile. He said they started with 21 million in their reserve. He also said they have about 8,000 ventilators.

Washington State has received 2 shipments from the SNS too, about 8 semi-trucks worth, plus a bunch of courier shipments. Part of that was 145,000 N95 masks.

We have a few hundred thousand on hand in WA, but they can run through those pretty fast. I think California was much better prepared in this regard.

One of the big problems seems to be that hospitals couldn't get them from their regular suppliers, and didn't know who to ask for help. With the supply of industrial N95's available, I think the problem gets way smaller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In WW2 ford retooled to make bombers in a matter of days, GM tanks, etc
    Just for record it took months to refit. In many cases whole new factories needed built. Ford in particular actually didn't want anything to do with war production in the beginning. It was probably the last in the auto industry to really come on board so to speak. GM was in fast and hard early since Bill Knudsen who was running WPB at the time was formerly President of General Motors and personally knew all the leaders at the GM divisions personally.

Today's fun fact.... Knudsen was later commissioned in 1942 as a Lieutenant General which was the highest ranking initial appointment of any civilian. He became the Director of Production, Office of the Secretary of War. He had his own plane for the duration of the war, traveling extensively going to manufacturing facilities and being the War Departments bull dog and problem solver.

5. Likes Trueturning, TeachMePlease, 9100, 2lmaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was reasons why Henry Ford dragged his heals to fight the Hitler.. look up some history on Henry that was not taught is school.. connect the dots..Very shocking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the news tonight- one of our old-line suit manufacturers is gearing up to make gowns and masks ASAP and it sounds like it will be a cottage industry with many local people doing the actual sewing in their homes.

8. Likes dcsipo, Trueturning, Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    They may be in violation of FDA rules. A friend asked a compounding pharmacy if they could make sanitizer and the guy said that while they had the materials and the knowledge to do so they were prohibited by law. He didn't ask if it was state or federal law so it may just be a Mass. thing.

I read an article recently about a brewery that was distilling a sanitizer, and after checking with local regulators, they were told that as long as they don't SELL it, and make no claims as to its efficacy, they're in the clear to give it away. Since the stuff is like 90% alcohol, pretty sure it sanitizes just fine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read that a big perfume maker is switching to making hand sanitizer as it has the ingredients and the equipment. While there can be disagreements about the pandemic there are many companies able to step up. Yes ventilators were discussed also.

I read it at the library in the WSJ and so posting a link is futile. Just wanted to mention this because there are those who are stepping up readily to help if they feel,it is needed.

There does not need to be a totalitarian government here for citizens to step forward. It makes sense because many have stepped forward to defend America in the past of free will. Others did their duty when the draft was implemented and followed through.

I read this morning that NK was in bad shape to the extent that it is said that people are either starving or dying of Corona virus.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    I read that a big perfume maker is switching to making hand sanitizer ....
    Does methanol mixed with distilled water work ? That's pretty common and easy to get. Comes in 55 gallon drums, that'd sanitize a few hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Methanol is poisonous and will blind you, so I wouldn't use it on body parts. It's probably OK for sanitizing surfaces if you don't breath a lot. Same with denatured ethanol as it's often denatured with methanol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jesus people SOAP.

My mom told me when I was a little kid.
    Just use SOAP!

(In this case it’s not just micelle formation, soaps destroy the lipid layer surrounding the virus and kills it)

Y'all deserve to be punished so here you go..:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yTcPrv4NDlw

Or...
    You can use my special mix.
    Whiskey/salt/diesel fuel and yoghurt - spread liberally on yourself and surfaces (NOT SAFE FOR PETS)
    For purchase premixed in convenient spray applicators see my web page.

14. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had a conversation recently with a chemical engineer I know who started a company manufacturing ethanol to sell to gasoline producers. He later sold that business, but is real familiar with all the ins and outs of alcohols.

He said, short of brewing your own, the only way the general public can acquire pure ethanol is by going to the liquor store and buying Everclear or similar grain alcohol. Prior to denaturing, the stuff he manufactured was as suitable for drinking as any liquor, and that's why ethanol is so closely regulated and subject to heavy taxes and fines when any goes unaccounted for. That's likely the reason Scott's friend got the answer he did from the pharmacy. Making hand sanitizer wouldn't be a use their possession of pure ethanol is approved for.

Any denatured alcohol is likely to be denatured with methanol, and its toxicity and flammability makes it far too dangerous to use for hand cleaning or wiping of surfaces. He said some hardware store variety denatured alcohol has methanol content exceeding 50% regardless of what the information on the can may say.

Regarding isopropyl, the water content is already so high that the alcohol concentration is right at the lower limit of what's considered adequate for decontamination purposes. Some of the discount store brands could have even lower concentration because water is a very cheap way to make more product. No proof if this, but he said he wouldn't blindly assume its not the case.

His advice is to forget the alcohol and wash your hands with soap and water. For surface wiping, 1/3 to 1/2 cup of household bleach per gallon of water makes a solution that the CDC has certified as to its ability to kill the coronavirus, and, since a $2 bottle of bleach will make 30+ gallons of disinfectant, its damn near free.

16. Likes Trueturning, 9100 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a distillery in Richland WA that is selling hand sanitizer home kits. A bottle of everclear, and the stuff to mix it up.

They are selling the pieces to make hand sanitizer. The $20 kit includes a 750 milliliter bottle of 190-proof alcohol and a bottle that has a mixture of glycerin, hydrogen peroxide and water.

When combined, it’s enough to make more than a wine bottle-size amount of hand sanitizer.

As part of the package, people will get the World Health Organization Guidance for making hand rub.

Read more here: https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/...#storylink=cpy
    https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/...241322791.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Mike View Post
    Just for record it took months to refit. In many cases whole new factories needed built. Ford in particular actually didn't want anything to do with war production in the beginning. It was probably the last in the auto industry to really come on board so to speak. GM was in fast and hard early since Bill Knudsen who was running WPB at the time was formerly President of General Motors and personally knew all the leaders at the GM divisions personally.

Today's fun fact.... Knudsen was later commissioned in 1942 as a Lieutenant General which was the highest ranking initial appointment of any civilian. He became the Director of Production, Office of the Secretary of War. He had his own plane for the duration of the war, traveling extensively going to manufacturing facilities and being the War Departments bull dog and problem solver.
    You read "Freedom's Forge". We were able to bury the Axis because a few far sighted people realized what was coming and started getting ready for it proactively. Should be required reading for all Americans.

Another fun fact- David Sarnoff was an egotistical SOB but he knew how to get things done. He had Bill Halligan modify one of his transmitters into the BC 610, then they put it in a truck along with two receivers and a teletype terminal and hitched a trailer with a generator on the back. GIs could find a hill, unhitch the generator and drive off far enough to get away from its noise, release the hooked down antennas, and have a radio station capable of trans-Atlantic communication under good conditions. Like Knudsen, Sarnoff deserved the stars on his shoulders.

Bill

19. Likes Milland, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any body have info on Willard (mitt) Romneys dad George
    influence on getting the "big three or 4" to help with the 2nd war?
    The wifey an I were talking and she goggle something unrelated but found data saying he was a major player?
    just wondering.
    Gw

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we had a chinese property developer ship out a lot of medical supplies i think if i recall correctly it was about 80 tons worth.

so quite a lot, they didn't care if that left a shortage here they where only looking after chinese interests so when the chips are down you know which way they swing.

original article here

Coronavirus: Chinese-backed company'''s mission to source Australian medical supplies

other articles on it.

China-Backed Firm Shipped Out Australia’s Medical Supplies in Bulk Amid CCP Virus Outbreak: Report

22. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    Methanol is poisonous and will blind you, so I wouldn't use it on body parts. It's probably OK for sanitizing surfaces if you don't breath a lot. Same with denatured ethanol as it's often denatured with methanol.
    I'd be very careful of exposing skin to Methanol. Chronic exposure can cause de-fatting of the skin, which can have lifelong consequences. It is also quite toxic if absorbed.

All of the alcohols have some bad effects. Methanol is at the top of the list of commonly available ones.

I'm sure many here think my advice is "fringe" but since the beginning I've been advising people to make sure that obsessive cleaning doesn't create worse health problems for you and your family than the virus could. Even breathing mist from some of the common household cleaners is bad for the lungs if used dozens of times per day.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Street View Post
    we had a chinese property developer ship out a lot of medical supplies i think if i recall correctly it was about 80 tons worth.

so quite a lot, they didn't care if that left a shortage here they where only looking after chinese interests so when the chips are down you know which way they swing.

original article here

Coronavirus: Chinese-backed company'''s mission to source Australian medical supplies

other articles on it.

China-Backed Firm Shipped Out Australia’s Medical Supplies in Bulk Amid CCP Virus Outbreak: Report
    And that's just one company. How many other companies around the world were doing the exact same thing?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not the only one who does not trust Trump, every time he opens his mouth the market drops. But I do not really care about that right now. I want a cohesive plan and directions, not self-adulation form a dear leader. Just the facts, and how to solve this, The scientist are the only reliable source and they are being contradicted every time. Get on his press conference that is on right now, it is a cluster f. Why is Jerod Kushi in charge, he knows zilch about crisis management, FEMA and DoD are full of experts, DoD knows how to move supplies, but Esper is in the dark. and there is not a designated general to handle logistics, the governors are taking on the tasks the feds need to handle. Plan, act, asses, replan and manage the outcomes, the WH is doing jack.

Would you not roll op your sleeves and start making fittings for Ventilators in your shop if the feds placed an order?

dee
    ;-D
    every time? are you aware how full of shit you are? do i need to show you the market gains for the past 3.5 years? jesus christ, you fucking lefties are despicable.

26. Likes G Bohannon liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    every time? are you aware how full of shit you are? do i need to show you the market gains for the past 3.5 years? jesus christ, you fucking lefties are despicable.
    1814 points or 8.5%..slightly better than bank earnings....big fuckin whoop, and it is not done yet. And when it is done let's see who is right.

dee
    ;-D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

1814 points or 8.5%..slightly better than bank earnings....big fuckin whoop, and it is not done yet. And when it is done let's see who is right.

dee
    ;-D
    Uhm Yeh...I can see Billary or Biden would have made the last 4 years just "wonderfull"....