What's new
What's new

Bad news for Aluminum users (hopefully only short-term)

Milland

Diamond
Aluminum prices hit decade high as coup threatens supplies from Guinea - CNN

The coup may bump prices up, but generals "generally" like to get the economic side of the country back in gear asap, if for no other reason than to up the looting potential. So my fully-uninformed guess is that this will not be a long term issue, but may lead to a spike in scrap Al value.

If you've been saving your bins of chips, time to get pricing from your scrap dealers...

I have some 6061 flat stock here. Rather sell it for above scrap. I remember at one point getting 80 cents a pound for chips. That was a while back

when i started yacht building in 1986 Alu plate was 4600 to 5600 tonne it stayed below 7000 for 30 years, just went crazy now like all other metals

The only Russian aluminum I ever got was 7075.

Me too. KUMW is the mill on the plates I've gotten. I "think" I've noticed some porosity in one plate, but I never etched it and checked under a microscope to be sure.

Should have checked past threads - here's one from 2010 talking about warping and porosity in KUMW plate:

Russian 7075 plate?

[Hah! I actually necro-posted in that thread and forgot about it]

There is nothing wrong with KUMW aluminium. We buy in a lot of aluminium and it comes from all over, a good portion of it from KUMW. Most of the aluminium we machine is for tensile load cells and subsea hydraulic systems, material quality is taken seriously. We have encountered some material failures (inclusions and cold laminations most commonly) over the years, but KUMW do not stick out as being worse than anyone else.

Apparently they were Stalin on their delivery.

ParallelCourageousHowlermonkey-size_restricted.gif

Aluminum prices hit decade high as coup threatens supplies from Guinea - CNN

The coup may bump prices up, but generals "generally" like to get the economic side of the country back in gear asap, if for no other reason than to up the looting potential. So my fully-uninformed guess is that this will not be a long term issue, but may lead to a spike in scrap Al value.

If you've been saving your bins of chips, time to get pricing from your scrap dealers...

Probably won't be as big a threat as Goldman-Sachs price manipulation was (still is?)....

Back