What's new
What's new

Economy Firing on all cylinders?

motion guru

Diamond
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Business/US-economy-firing-on-all-cylinders-data/2006/05/04/1146335833470.html

Hmmmm . . . I know I read here every day how everything is going in the crapper, but my experience is more in line with the above article.

We will ship over $2million in systems this quarter - and have put on a few more solid employees and looking for more. One of our best recent hires contacted me from this forum.

I am thinking that this may be the best I have ever seen it in my lifetime, but that just might be being in the right place at the right time.

Sounds good MG...I get a similar impression going to machine auctions and seeing prices go sky high on the newer cleaner CNC machines...more than I can sell them for usually...and all seem to be going to domestic end users...not being exported.

And what's really "hot" are used CNC machine with the most productivity possible for machining complex parts....like 5 axis turning centers and VMC's with 4th axis and/or pallet rotate or changers.

Ironically, however, I'm not selling much more than I did during the depths of the recession....a combination of more end users buying at auctions and high prices making it difficult to buy "bargains" to resell.

I wonder what it would be like to be a debt free nation? I think a lot of this boon is govt spending...borrowed spending money. probably a lot of home equity $$ too. At least in the DC area.

My place of work is very busy w/ staffing up to double what it was 3-4 yrs ago. We are a govt contractor.

Things are rosey now. I wish common sense would prevail and some progress made toward deficit reduction.

When it comes due, it's gonna hurt. If you spent on CC's w/o regard to the bill, you'd be livin' large too.

Hey!

The Iron is Hot!!

Hit the Mutha!

I have long ago stopped trying to figure out why the economy booms as it does. It times are good, take the money and run.

There was an Italian song popular a good while back. "Let's forget about Domani (tomorrow), Domani never comes."

The big spenders with our company right now are large privately owned manufacturers who make everything from toilet paper to dimensional lumber. No govt jobs this year so far. I am working hard to pay off my building . . . would be great to get that bunch of personal guarantees off my neck.

Not here in southeastern Michigan, the economy is headed downwards. Fiscal irresponsibility by the local and state governments, and apparently some media propagated BS about imports being better than American made vehicles.

MG, what I was commenting about was you are benefitting indirectly from borrow and spend policy.

All those companies that make paper goods that package industrial and consumer products, etc, etc, are purchasing your goods/services.

I think a lot of this boon is govt spending...borrowed spending money
I don't think that the small(percent wise) amount of federal debt money can stretch out the economy to where it is now. Things are booming and were all very busy here these days.

Don't watch CNN, MSNBC or read the New York Times, your outlook will improve. We don't need the gloom and doom media made up nonsense...

Our business is better then anyone could have dreamed. The factories, and our competitors, are at capacity and leadtimes are running 12 months on many products. Most of our customers have the same problems, can't build anything fast enough and the only thing slowing them down is the lack of components. One of our large customers has confirmed orders out through December 2007 and would double production if they could.

There will be the inevitable slowdown, but for the time being it is a sellers market.

If we are at the beginning of an inflationary runup such as we saw in the Nixon-Carter era as the Vietnam war was wound down, it makes good sense to buy your bricks and mortar and iron now -- especially with relatively low fixed rate, long term debt that you can pay off later with less valuable dollars.

Charles

It is to bad you have to go to Australia to see how good the US economy is, because you now our media will not do it. I guess those tax cuts really do work.

Its a fact of life, That reducing Taxes increases the economy.
We see it now.
Isn't it amazing that the IRS is getting record levels taxes paid now !
Did you know the deficeit is going Down !
Government spending, while it could be less, is no more as a percent of the GDP than it was 20- 30 years ago. Tax Cuts work, but you will never read that in the doom and gloom newspapers.
They would have you believe this is the result of the Illegal imigrants...

bp amoco is hiring like crazy over here in cali.

i can pick any job i want.

i think that things are in the up and up.

not to mention the booming aerospace

yup, things are lookig good

Same over here at the little company I work for/Attend

for once I got 2 weeks of machining sitting by the mills instead of 1 days worth and 9 days of promised orders.
Our largest customer has just ordered 600 more items of death and destruction, on top of the 600 they wanted this year anyway ( thats about 40 different components per item), + about 200 specials per year.
A new customer has decided to double the number of parts per month they want (I think they testing our capacity).
An old customer in the water business wants lots of parts for their sensors.
Plus we have the usual nonsense of train brake parts and hospital bits.

Boris

PS We all going on strike next week since we've not had a raise at all in 2.5 years and the boss has just bought himself a brand new $80 000 sports car :mad:

Its about time that someone else sees how good it is going... Every shop I know is busier than ever, machine sales are busy, production and jobs are busy... you are right. Leave off CNN and those others and look at what is really happening, and you see that it is good.
Motion Guru, glad to hear you are doing well.

Leave off CNN and those others and look at what is really happening
My shop is pretty busy too, though I doubt my one man shop would scale up to typify the nation.

You might want to look at what's happening to the dollar for some clues. Compared to the Euro and the Canadian dollar (and quite a few others), it's been going down for a while, making our labor and goods more attractive on the international market.

Now would be a good time for all us rich machinists to use our extra millions to buy some other currency.

Times are good in the foundry industry too. I'm busy and every foundry that I know of are busy too.

There are lots of people who are contacting me about having castings made for their hobbies. People don't do that when times are tough.

I don't know why I keep hearing that the economy is doing badly. Maybe its because nobody wants to associate anything good with our current president, although he isn't responsible for the economy either.

The economy will magically improve in the press in February of 09 if a democrat wins the white house.

The economy will magically improve in the press in February of 09 if a democrat wins the white house.

Still recall the 1992 elections. Under Bush #1 the economy was awful, as bad as under Hoover. In reality during Bush's last term we had five percent annual growth rate - which is better than we got now.

The day after Clinton got elected the economy was going great. Wonderful. Happy days are here again.

The economy was so good that Clinton decided that we needed an "Economic Stimulus". Basically this was a $14 billion giveaway for all of Clinton's pals in the inner cities. We needed it to stimulate the economy, even though it was "Happy days are here again". The Republicans stopped that non-sense and nobody suffered for it.

As I read these conflicting views about the economy I wondered if I had landed in the pages of "1984". "We have always been a war with East Asia..."

We saw the same thing in 2000. There is some agency or group which determines what is and isn't a recession. According to them the recession of 2001 began during the last months of Clinton's second term.

No lie, the Dot Com bubble was bursting. We had a Dot com bubble because the Fed started inflating harder in 1995. Fed inflation makes bond yields go down. So people had to go into stocks to earn interest.

Clinton played political games with Asian currencies (especially Thailand) at about the same time. Asian investors dumped their money into the US stock market to keep their money safe. Money poured into the stock market. Thanks to the DOT Com hype people sunk money into those stocks.

The Internet was the New Frontier. Clinton's Labor Secretary talked about the "New Economy". The Democrats were at the vanguard a new future where everyone would work harder and smarter and have more "quality time". Meanwhile on the stock market some companies had price to earnings ratios of over 400 to one. Others never paid a cent in earnings.

The GOP controlled Congress kicked back. Why fight the system when you can enjoy it? Bridges to Nowhere any one?

Eventually the smart money figured it was crazy to buy stocks in companies which never paid any dividends. Asian countries got back on their feet and investors took their money home, quite possible to build factories to sell Americans things.

Companies which never paid out, which spent investor money on lavish bonuses and expenses, lost market value. Many were shaky and went belly up.

All of Clinton's chatter about the "New Economy" would later be proven to be non-sense. We were more productive because we worked harder, because MBAs were constantly "downsizing". Moreover companies were outsourcing so they were cutting costs, which made them seem more productive.

So when the Bubble Burst it wasn't Clinton's fault, no sir. You wouldn't have known we were in recession from Media reports. Things were going great, and would continue going great, if Al Gore won. When Gore failed to steal the election the Dot Com bubble burst became Bush's fault.

It's always been Bush's fault. No doubt anything for the next ten years will be Bush's fault. As long as Americans keep thinking that they have rights to property and to think for themselves, rather than letting Philosopher Kings and Queens dictate to them what cars they will drive, how they will make love, how they will raise their kids and how many squares of toilet paper to use for each bathroom session it will be Bush's fault.

I guess the moral of the story is not to pay too much attention to the Media. They wouldn't know the Truth if it bit 'em on the backside.

Gene

Back