Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Notice New Balance says "a percentage" is made in the U.S. That could mean anything. What percentage do they make in the U.S.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

about 30%

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New Balance continues to manufacture a percentage of its shoes in the USA. New Balance has five factories in New England—three in Maine and two in Massachusetts. With a high-quality labor force, unique modular teams that are continually challenged to offer creative alternatives to foreign competition, and the confidence to be different, New Balance is able to survive and thrive, and take a leadership position in an industry that has sent most of its production overseas.
    That is still a far cry from the other companies who made their name and their money here and then hightailed it to Communist Red China to pad their Golden Parachutes!

Ain't it something though... we can buy nearly anything we want from the Red Chinese but I still can't legally own a Cuban cigar and Granny can't legally get her prescriptions filled in Canada? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can someone explain to me why:

People feel the are owed a job from any company?

People feel that the so called rich should pay more so they can get something out of it?

Companies pay for your wages, period, they don't owe you anything else. You and your job are no different than the machinery or building, get over it, it was always this way, there just wasn't as many options for them to move or choose from.

Taxes, if you want rich people to pay more, than you want something for nothing. You want wealth redistribution, period. Rich people pay most of the taxes PERIOD.

Evil CEO's make a lot of money sure, how much did the stock move, how many people made tons of cash while they were there. Oh they are all the rich folks, guess again, your 401 K, your union pension plan, sect were all invested in these things.

All of this whinnying about jobs for life and not paying your fair share, is mostly sour grapes, no one stopped YOU from getting a better job, education, why aren't YOU a CEO?

BOO HOO HOO, lifes not fair, its still America, think like one, pull YOURSELF up to a better place in life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rich people pay most of the taxes PERIOD.
    I would beg to differ. The rich do not pay the most in taxes, by a long shot. At least not as the term 'rich' is generally applied. Their numbers are simply not sufficient, and they have too many ways (and ample incentive) to legally shelter their income. The Middle Class pays far and away the biggest share of taxes.

Which is not to say that I disagree with much of what you wrote. My personal opinion is that our federal government is completely out of control, and is degrading our way of life, in more ways than we can possibly imagine. I know it doesn't help much to say that, but there it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New Balance is full of crap - I used to buy their shoes just because they were made here, now every time I pick up a pair in the store they are made in China. If they make 30% of their shoes here, I can tell you they aren't any that I ever see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only the Rich Pay Taxes ???

The Top 50% pay 96.54% of All Income Taxes
    The Top 1% Pay More Than a Third: 34.27%

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"People feel that the so called rich should pay more so they can get something out of it?

Companies pay for your wages, period, they don't owe you anything else. You and your job are no different than the machinery or building, get over it, it was always this way, there just wasn't as many options for them to move or choose from."

Just about anyone I know of wants to be "rich".. A lot of people have problems with how some people get rich... Ken Lay, for example - or the head of many companies, TXU for example: They squander shareholder money - and get raises for it... bogus consumers into supporting such incompetence through real or virtual monopolies.

On what a company owes people that work there, that is a whole different animal. People are not meat. When you hire someone for a "permanent" position - as versus a "temporary" position - you agree to meet certain expectations for labor and employment. That is why we have rules on Child Labor, Working Enviroments, Safety Rules, and so forth...

When your employer decides that YOUR JOB can be done offshore by children or SLAVE LABOR, then employment is no longer an even field. And that is happening.

"YOUR EMPLOYER" does not have lifetime responsibilites to you (unless you have tenure.... or a civil service job...) - but that should not mean that the employer has any right to sell their products in the US any more, either.

What is the difference between how SHOES and Pharmac. are treated? Want to practice medicine here? then meet board requirements. Want to sell your goods here, then meet a SET OF REQUIREMENTs. There is no even field in place now...

There are many foreign companies operating here that are in ALL respects honorable and work with US plants and US operations. I think they are doing a great job.

There are other companies that will completely gut the US operation to bring in the cheapest good they can sell. Their future is non-existant, since they have no internal talent to grow with.

You are right in one thing... I have seen a company FIRST HAND "cut costs" by laying off the senior talent and keeping the least expensive employess. I also saw their stock continue to drop, in spite of massive cash infustions.... Those "highly compensated companies" are migrating to one "Accountant-CEO" and a bill-collector. My best estimate is that it cost them 500% in company sales, 3000% in stock valuation, and a great deal of corporate value. So it does eventually backfire on you....

--jr