What's new
What's new

Interesting article about Chinese ball bearing production

SBAER

Hot Rolled
Canada's leading newspaper the Globe and Mail (the closest thing we have to the NYT) has a whole section devoted to the future of China this weekend. I found the little segments featuring regular Chinese people's cares and concerns very interesting, it left me hopeful that China and the West will find enough common ground to co-exist peacefully. The article that used ball bearing production to explain the challenge of climbing up the technology foodchain was really well done and more relevant to this forum.

China lags on innovation - can it catch up? - The Globe and Mail
There is paywall but hopefully they let Americans read a couple articles for free.

I have always been amazed at the amazing low the prices of the Chinese bearings that are used in consumer goods.

Stan

Canada's leading newspaper the Globe and Mail (the closest thing we have to the NYT) has a whole section devoted to the future of China this weekend. I found the little segments featuring regular Chinese people's cares and concerns very interesting, it left me hopeful that China and the West will find enough common ground to co-exist peacefully. The article that used ball bearing production to explain the challenge of climbing up the technology foodchain was really well done and more relevant to this forum.

There is paywall but hopefully they let Americans read a couple articles for free.

I have always been amazed at the amazing low the prices of the Chinese bearings that are used in consumer goods.

Stan

Uh huh.

Have you had to deal with full priced automotive wheel bearings
that you can only get from China, and they don't last 30k miles ?

IMO, you can't prevent progress in China or anywhere else, so keep one step ahead in R&D and technology. Helps not to give away research and trade secrets too. At any given quality level, the USA isn't going to compete on price.

At any given quality level, the USA isn't going to compete on price.

Yea, it's pretty near impossible to compete when they are using slave labor that the rest of he civilized world outlawed like a century or more ago. Oh, and that whole total disregard for human rights, the environment, conservation, you know... all the stuff that that the rest of us stopped doing because it was destroying our future?

last year I bought a batch of cheap Chinese bearings for a conveyor roller job. One in ten bearings locked up just rotating them on my finger, about another one in ten locked up after install on a slip fit, after some measuring I found the races to be oval and a quite noticeable click while spinning the assembled units giving the impression of pits in the race. didn't bother with disassembly and inspection, the failed bearings just went to the scrap barrel. Any time I can avoid the Asian stuff I do, just so I don't have to wonder if I'll have do the job again tomorrow and possible lose a customer.

Some say Chinese bearings inspire a cult like following.

Wot? The Church of False Economy?

Initiation ceremony is to surgically install a Chinese roller-bearing between yer first two toes.

So yah can run around in tiny circles and still be a Very Big Wheel.

Then fall on yer nose .....when elected to High Hooverment Orifice.. and the bearing can't stand the sidegodlin strain of pallets full of ballots nor pockets full of loot...

https://youtu.be/MaEL0JJaHkk

Yea, it's pretty near impossible to compete when they are using slave labor that the rest of he civilized world outlawed like a century or more ago. Oh, and that whole total disregard for human rights, the environment, conservation, you know... all the stuff that that the rest of us stopped doing because it was destroying our future?

I believe this is true because it's what I've been told. Never been to China so no first hand knowledge. I don't know how much progress, if any, they've made. That said, we're not going to change them. It's the world we live in and we have to figure out how to compete. IMO, that's going to be with brains and the creativity that comes from individuality, not raw population numbers.

Until about 2017 the Chinese couldn't make the little ball bearings that went into the end of their locally produced ball point pens; they bought them from Japanese manufacturers. Reading about this on-line, after developing the required materials and processes with years of government R&D money, the Chinese pen producers apparently then re-wrote the product specs, effectively pulling the rug out from under the Japanese suppliers.

Western world didn't "outlaw" slave labour.

Just legalized it as economic slavery by paying less than the cost of living + cost of taxes.

Because "physical slaves" cost far more than economic slaves cost.

And it was too much like "work" to tax their great grandchildren.

I believe this is true because it's what I've been told. Never been to China so no first hand knowledge. I don't know how much progress, if any, they've made. That said, we're not going to change them. It's the world we live in and we have to figure out how to compete. IMO, that's going to be with brains and the creativity that comes from individuality, not raw population numbers.

You can stop buying from them eh ?

And stop posting gleefull threads extolling them.....:nutter:

last year I bought a batch of cheap Chinese bearings for a conveyor roller job. One in ten bearings locked up just rotating them on my finger, about another one in ten locked up after install on a slip fit, after some measuring I found the races to be oval and a quite noticeable click while spinning the assembled units giving the impression of pits in the race. didn't bother with disassembly and inspection, the failed bearings just went to the scrap barrel. Any time I can avoid the Asian stuff I do, just so I don't have to wonder if I'll have do the job again tomorrow and possible lose a customer.

Major case of you get what you pay for. Look at how expensive name brand spindle bearings are, Chinese ones are 10 cents on the dollar or less and not even worth that, no thanks.

Even with javascript turned off, they don't let people read for free. Oh well.

However .... I have no faith in this writer. Went and looked at the titles to the rest of his articles, they are stupid.

"Can China make its people happy ?" -- is this guy a moron ? Does he walk in the streets, go to work, have girlfriends, go out eating horse dick and sheep balls with the guys ? play mah jiang ? go to ktv ? eat ? drink ? is he blind, deaf, and stupid ? In my experience, Chinese people are happier than Americans, maybe similar to BC Canadians, and definitely more socially skilled. Much more socially adept, in fact. Happy ? Christ, the average noodle shop owner is happier than Bill Gates - and we won't even mention turtleface Mitch McConnel.

"Will China be the next world leader" -- obviously. 1.4 billion people, much bigger than the US and as of now, much smarter. A better question would be, does the world actually need "leaders" ? and does the Chinese government want to be anyone's "leader" ? From what I have seen over 30 years upclose and personal, they don't really care that much about the rest of the world. They want their own place to be coolaroonie and to not be bullied. If the rest of the world wants to follow, that's fine. if they don't, that's fine too. To them China is the center of the universe, the rest of you can imitate or go pound sand if you like, no skin off their nose.

"Can robots offset China's population decrease?" -- another stupid stupid stupid question, a followon to that retarded infinite-growth crap that the so-called "economists" of the world peddle. Does this twat have a single functioning brain cell in his head ? The world worked fine -- better -- when there were a lot fewer people. Anything that reduces the population is good but these dipshit twelve-babies-per-family nitwits just can't get that small fact through their thick skulls.

About bearings ... what does this dickcheese know about bearings ? He's a writer for a newspaper. A high-school level writer, at that. I've spent months in association with a plant manager for Kaydon, and a specialty bearing designer in Los Angeles. When those guys have comments, I listen. In some cases, they should listen to me instead, the aiyi running one of them out of the country with false 'broken marriage promise' claims had me in stitches :) I told him how to behave but oh noes, he's from Ohio (and a Republican, sigh), he knew what he was doing ... this is kind of a problem with you guys. You think you know everything, when the truth is you don't really know shit. Most of the world is not Ohio, or Kansas, or even San Francisco.

China ain't the US. It was hilarious, but along the way, want to hear some stories about US bearing failures ? Helicopters falling out of the sky because of bean-counter decisions, for instance ? Screwups are not limted to one country. And SKF, *********, NSK, those guys all have factories in Ningbo. If you have a problem with junk, it's because you bought junk. Junk is also available from Detroit .... or was, until Detroit went tits-up.

And the "innovation" magic word ... what a crock. There hasn't been any real "innovation" for the past fifty years. Besides which, pussy has been the same for the past 100,000 years. That's what actually matters, the rest is decoration.

Anyway, I wouldn't believe a word off this shithead's pen. In fact I hope he was one of the so-called journalists they tossed, because he's a worthless ignorant lying prick.

Another thing I wonder about .... what is the deal with these people ? And papers, too ? Does the local press in Zambia send over some high school kid to write about Chicago ? The Times, the Post, this Globe thing .... why ? wtf is their problem ? China is China, they run themselves, they make stuff, they sell stuff, why doesn't the Times, for example, try to uncover evildoers in Newark instead of worrying about shit halfway round the world that doesn't involve them in any way ? It's like those gossipy old ladies, their husband hasn't had a piece in twenty years but they're all concerned about Mrs Johnson's skirts are too short .... it's fucking stupid and embarrassing.

Self-righteous a bit, aren't we ?

Let's start with prison labor. My shop was across the freeway from San Quentin for several years. I did a fair amount of repair work for -- beter sit down ! -- Prison Industry Authority. They even have a website now ! Here's the first sentence from wikipedia "The California Prison Industry Authority (CALPIA) manages over 100 manufacturing, service, and consumable industries within the 35 California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation(CDCR) institutions."

If "the civilized world" outlawed this a century ago, someone better tell California. And Washington. And I bet most other states.

Oh, but it's different ! when we do it !

Yeah. Right.

I've never understood this outrage. These people are in prison for a reason (some of the stories the San Quentin guy told were eye-opening). If the state or feds need stuff, why not let prisoners work ? If you're a prisoner, would you rather sit on your ass in a concrete box all day, or at least get to make $.50/hr and stamp out license plates ? I know which one I'd choose ...

Beyond that, you may not remember chain gangs, but you have certainly seen the guys in orange jumpers cleaing up along the roads ...

Pot -> kettle, much ?

"Total disregard for human rights" .... like shooting niggers in the back ? Standing on a guy's neck for ten minutes over a supposedly fake $20 ? Blowing people away in their beds because you don't like their politics ? Blasting into the wrong house and killing anyone on sight because you fucked up ? then walking away scot-free ? Burning a couple hundred people to death because of an after-the-blaze unsubstantiated rumour that someone, somewhere kissed a sixteen year old ? Patrice Lumumba, Auguste Pinochet, Marcos, Diem, Pahlevi ? You have such a spotless "human rights" record, both internationally and domestically, I am surprised you can even write those words. I'd be red in the face like a monkey's ass if someone forced me to spout that crap. Have you no shame ?

I'm really like, what's wrong with you people ? Is it because you can't do a damned thing yourselves anymore, like those old hag gossips, so you just hang out in a group swapping nasty lies ? What China does is none of your goddamned business. Maybe straighten out your own screwedup shithole first, then start giving lectures ?

wtf, over ?

I changed out a US bearing on an Accord for a Chinese one. Still going after 100k miles.
I'm with Conrad. They are getting better all the time. You dont get to Mars because you are an idiot.

Why? if this were about a company in Nowheresville, Wisconsin or similar, it would be a good general interest thread. Why isn't it when it refers to companies in China?

Because the OP seems to live in Ontario Canaduh, but has a love
affair with Red China.

"Go team Red !"

When have I ever extolled anything about China?
Are you trying to say you don't like salty pepper spare ribs ? C'mon now, come clean ! :D

Have you ever had basi tudou ? Cubes of potato, served with a light caramelized sugar sauce sizzling hot. You take a cube and dunk it in your beer to get a roasted potato encapsulated in crackly sugar sauce. You should try.

Even with javascript turned off, they don't let people read for free. Oh well.

However .... I have no faith in this writer. Went and looked at the titles to the rest of his articles, they are stupid.

"Can China make its people happy ?" -- is this guy a moron ? Does he walk in the streets, go to work, have girlfriends, go out eating horse dick and sheep balls with the guys ? play mah jiang ? go to ktv ? eat ? drink ? is he blind, deaf, and stupid ? In my experience, Chinese people are happier than Americans, maybe similar to BC Canadians, and definitely more socially skilled. Much more socially adept, in fact. Happy ? Christ, the average noodle shop owner is happier than Bill Gates - and we won't even mention turtleface Mitch McConnel.

"Will China be the next world leader" -- obviously. 1.4 billion people, much bigger than the US and as of now, much smarter. A better question would be, does the world actually need "leaders" ? and does the Chinese government want to be anyone's "leader" ? From what I have seen over 30 years upclose and personal, they don't really care that much about the rest of the world. They want their own place to be coolaroonie and to not be bullied. If the rest of the world wants to follow, that's fine. if they don't, that's fine too. To them China is the center of the universe, the rest of you can imitate or go pound sand if you like, no skin off their nose.

"Can robots offset China's population decrease?" -- another stupid stupid stupid question, a followon to that retarded infinite-growth crap that the so-called "economists" of the world peddle. Does this twat have a single functioning brain cell in his head ? The world worked fine -- better -- when there were a lot fewer people. Anything that reduces the population is good but these dipshit twelve-babies-per-family nitwits just can't get that small fact through their thick skulls.

About bearings ... what does this dickcheese know about bearings ? He's a writer for a newspaper. A high-school level writer, at that. I've spent months in association with a plant manager for Kaydon, and a specialty bearing designer in Los Angeles. When those guys have comments, I listen. In some cases, they should listen to me instead, the aiyi running one of them out of the country with false 'broken marriage promise' claims had me in stitches :) I told him how to behave but oh noes, he's from Ohio (and a Republican, sigh), he knew what he was doing ... this is kind of a problem with you guys. You think you know everything, when the truth is you don't really know shit. Most of the world is not Ohio, or Kansas, or even San Francisco.

China ain't the US. It was hilarious, but along the way, want to hear some stories about US bearing failures ? Helicopters falling out of the sky because of bean-counter decisions, for instance ? Screwups are not limted to one country. And SKF, *********, NSK, those guys all have factories in Ningbo. If you have a problem with junk, it's because you bought junk. Junk is also available from Detroit .... or was, until Detroit went tits-up.

And the "innovation" magic word ... what a crock. There hasn't been any real "innovation" for the past fifty years. Besides which, pussy has been the same for the past 100,000 years. That's what actually matters, the rest is decoration.

Anyway, I wouldn't believe a word off this shithead's pen. In fact I hope he was one of the so-called journalists they tossed, because he's a worthless ignorant lying prick.

Another thing I wonder about .... what is the deal with these people ? And papers, too ? Does the local press in Zambia send over some high school kid to write about Chicago ? The Times, the Post, this Globe thing .... why ? wtf is their problem ? China is China, they run themselves, they make stuff, they sell stuff, why doesn't the Times, for example, try to uncover evildoers in Newark instead of worrying about shit halfway round the world that doesn't involve them in any way ? It's like those gossipy old ladies, their husband hasn't had a piece in twenty years but they're all concerned about Mrs Johnson's skirts are too short .... it's fucking stupid and embarrassing.

Self-righteous a bit, aren't we ?

Let's start with prison labor. My shop was across the freeway from San Quentin for several years. I did a fair amount of repair work for -- beter sit down ! -- Prison Industry Authority. They even have a website now ! Here's the first sentence from wikipedia "The California Prison Industry Authority (CALPIA) manages over 100 manufacturing, service, and consumable industries within the 35 California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation(CDCR) institutions."

If "the civilized world" outlawed this a century ago, someone better tell California. And Washington. And I bet most other states.

Oh, but it's different ! when we do it !

Yeah. Right.

I've never understood this outrage. These people are in prison for a reason (some of the stories the San Quentin guy told were eye-opening). If the state or feds need stuff, why not let prisoners work ? If you're a prisoner, would you rather sit on your ass in a concrete box all day, or at least get to make $.50/hr and stamp out license plates ? I know which one I'd choose ...

Beyond that, you may not remember chain gangs, but you have certainly seen the guys in orange jumpers cleaing up along the roads ...

Pot -> kettle, much ?

"Total disregard for human rights" .... like shooting niggers in the back ? Standing on a guy's neck for ten minutes over a supposedly fake $20 ? Blowing people away in their beds because you don't like their politics ? Blasting into the wrong house and killing anyone on sight because you fucked up ? then walking away scot-free ? Burning a couple hundred people to death because of an after-the-blaze unsubstantiated rumour that someone, somewhere kissed a sixteen year old ? Patrice Lumumba, Auguste Pinochet, Marcos, Diem, Pahlevi ? You have such a spotless "human rights" record, both internationally and domestically, I am surprised you can even write those words. I'd be red in the face like a monkey's ass if someone forced me to spout that crap. Have you no shame ?

I'm really like, what's wrong with you people ? Is it because you can't do a damned thing yourselves anymore, like those old hag gossips, so you just hang out in a group swapping nasty lies ? What China does is none of your goddamned business. Maybe straighten out your own screwedup shithole first, then start giving lectures ?

wtf, over ?

“ Besides which, pussy has been the same for the past 100,000 years. That's what actually matters, the rest is decoration.”

You should know that. Besides who ever said pu##y never grabs first or grabs back?

“ I did a fair amount of repair work for -- beter sit down ! -- Prison Industry Authority.”

I figured as much EG, it must be a good way to stay out of jail actually working for the outfit who does the work for the famous prison. Good way to keep out of sight in plain sight. Smart.

Back