Close
Login to Your Account
Page 116 of 228 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 4543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Here's a few willing, legal, hard workers for you.....

I think we've hashed this out before, the tall one is Limy,
    the short one Camscam, but I don't know about the one with the pipes....
    Oh well,that's my feelings out the window then.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    I have spoken to relatives who are from Europe. I often have at times from what they have said that I felt they should move to the United States for security. I believe the United States is a much better environment. We are one country and so the immigrants are much more assimilated here. The historical divisions of countries provides a tenderbox whereas the US has always been able to keep the peace and the Union. It is strong and we fought over the issue coming out on the other side of unity and love of country after our civil war.
    It was close - we nearly ended up in Cali. But cost of healthcare can be crippling.

3. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Yes you're right but I would argue that lots of immigrants are like Gordon and just want to make their way in the country of adoption.
    I dare say Gordon celebrates Hogmanay and Burns Night but what is wrong with that ? If Scotland are playing Denmark in the World Cup he'll be supporting Scotland I presume ? Again what is wrong with that ?

My late Father in law lived out in Spain for 40 years, he could read and speak Spanish fluently, had a Spanish keyboard on his lap top and for all intents and purposes lived like a Spaniard. However if Glasgow Celtic were playing Barcelona he'd go down to the local bar and give the Barca fans plenty of grief.

I'm trying to learn Spanish because when we have our extended breaks out in Spain it's good to be able to interact with our neighbour's. You see series on TV over here regarding " Bargain Loving Brits Abroad " and loads of Brits go to Southern Spain to live. Funnily enough we don't call them emigrants, they're " Ex-pats ". Most of them live in enclaves down by the coast. Lots of them can barely speak a word of Spanish and they live exactly in the manner they would back in the UK. " Full English Breakfast ", " Pints of Bitter " etc . Ring any bells ?

Regards Tyrone.
    Fully agree with what you're saying, and I doubt Gordon has made his street a no-go area at night.
    LoL at your father-in-law giving grief to the Barca fans.
    You describe Benidorm to a tee - luckily we're 60kms north of it all.
    Where abouts is your place?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Oh well,that's my feelings out the window then.
    My apologies, elbow typing again, I simply misspelled your name....

or is it such that your the pipe player ?

6. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Fully agree with what you're saying, and I doubt Gordon has made his street a no-go area at night.
    Half way between Almeria and Granada in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. Not many English speakers in our village so it can be tough but we get by and we have some Spanish friends.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Half way between Almeria and Granada in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. Not many English speakers in our village so it can be tough but we get by and we have some Spanish friends.

Regards Tyrone.
    Nice. Sierra Nevada is very beautiful.
    We've found that as long as we try to talk, it breaks the ice because we get laughed at.
    Then there's nothing yet that we haven't been able to sort out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice.
    We´ve lived near barcelona for 20-18 years, from Finland, and speak fluent spanish.
    My wife speaks catalan, I just understand it 95%.

We've found that as long as we try to talk, it breaks the ice because we get laughed at.

10. Likes Spinit, barbter liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Nice.
    We´ve lived near barcelona for 20-18 years, from Finland, and speak fluent spanish.
    My wife speaks catalan, I just understand it 95%.
    Next on my list when the house is sorted.
    Learn the language. Wifey knows Spanish, but where they changed here to Valenciano, it's stuffed her (a little)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah the try bit always goes down well, fresh out of school as in 7 days since quitting, 5 days at the job, i have to phone up a french supplier about some rollers for a folding machine, because by that point they had realized i fixed stuff better than i ran it! So dial the number on the machines name plate and they answer, i remember just enough french to say in french i sorry i only spoke English, and the boss gets called out of the office, well rest of the call goes great in English, sort out payment, arrange delivery etc, remembering a bit more french said thanks for the help in french just as boss man returns, he immediately comments did not know you were bilingual, his secretary (also his wife) who heard the whole call damn near falls off her chair laughing.

That said theres been more than a few times since then i have had to contact them and other french companies and it always makes a real difference in how they treat you. Because its more than fair to say i did not do well in french (got a E at GCSE) and even if i had, they did not exactly teach us the technical words!

13. Likes Spinit, Mark Rand, barbter liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Seem to be getting mentioned a few times so a minor contribution from me.

I managed to learn enough Danish to get myself understood after 9 months and became more or less fluent in 2 years. My biggest problem was Danes wanting to talk to me in English LOL

Days can go by now without me speaking a word of English althogh I’ve never lost the Scottish accent. Danes seem to love it!

To be very honest I can’t think of anything important here I’d want to change. True story. Years ago Scotland played against Denmark and I of course bet that Scotland would win. I even added that if Scotland lost lost I’d become a Dane. Scotland lost 1-0 and a bet is a bet. I do though still have a problem when both countries meet so I just think that no matter who wins then I win LOL

I’ll never understand those that move to another country and want to change it. If you don’t like it get the f*ck out of Dodge!

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I’ll never understand those that move to another country and want to change it. If you don’t like it get the f*ck out of Dodge!
    And that Sir, is the heart of the matter with regard to migration in the UK.

16. Likes ManicMetalBasher, barbter, Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Of course, natives have never made a street a no go.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Of course, natives have never made a street a no go.
    I detect sarcasm in that and if I’m right I know a few countries you should visit to experience streets where you aren’t welcome and you are not left in doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I detect sarcasm in that and if I’m right I know a few countries you should visit to experience streets where you aren’t welcome and you are not left in doubt.
    There are native streets around the world that are no go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    There are native streets around the world that are no go.
    Does that mean it's OK for migrants to take the shit that they presumably migrated to get away from, with them and push it onto the host culture?

I evolved a pretty simple(simplistic) rule of thumb for dealing with this sort of stuff. Did the country you left have the crimes of apostasy and blasphemy on the books? Did they actually enforce them? Do you agree with those laws?

If the answers are yes, yes and yes, I don't want you. Yes, yes and no are quite acceptable. In fact anyone who answers yes to the last can piss off somewhere else and I don't care what religion it is, insisting that yours is the one & only and it's a crime to change means you're an intolerant bigot and I don't want you moving to my country.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    My apologies, elbow typing again, I simply misspelled your name....

or is it such that your the pipe player ?
    Doug, you can go so far but there is a limit. You just went miles beyond it. Any more comments like that and the old man will be over there to sort you out.(If he can be bothered to get out of bed for a change).

22. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Days can go by now without me speaking a word of English althogh I’ve never lost the Scottish accent. Danes seem to love it!
    Tell me you're not introducing yourself as Sssssean Connery

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My late father in law looked very much like Sean Connery and he had an eye for the ladies even in his 80's. Mrs Shoelaces is pretty un shockable but when she had to log onto his computer to sort out his financial affairs there was a lot of tutting. I kept well out of it.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nope LOL. He’s more than 10 years older than me but we were both born in Edinburgh although I grew up in Paisley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Does that mean it's OK for migrants to take the shit that they presumably migrated to get away from, with them and push it onto the host culture?

I evolved a pretty simple(simplistic) rule of thumb for dealing with this sort of stuff. Did the country you left have the crimes of apostasy and blasphemy on the books? Did they actually enforce them? Do you agree with those laws?

If the answers are yes, yes and yes, I don't want you. Yes, yes and no are quite acceptable. In fact anyone who answers yes to the last can piss off somewhere else and I don't care what religion it is, insisting that yours is the one & only and it's a crime to change means you're an intolerant bigot and I don't want you moving to my country.

PDW
    Immigrants have always brought fragments of their culture.
    I’m sure the natives of the UK were put off by the Christians that came in and tortured them for their faith too.
    The attitudes you describe aren’t necessarily religious, they are artifacts of Bronze Age mentality.
    Hindu nationalism aside, most of this attitude comes from the sons of Abraham.

Whether or not those laws are on the books, southern baptist communities are just as odious in their blind enforcement of religious bigotry.