Login to Your Account
Page 150 of 228 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 4543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Remember when a £5 note was worth £10?
    Nobody's that old - well apart from you.

2. Likes adama, pressbrake1, camscan, barbter, Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    £5 !!? ….I wouldn't put 5 pence on it.
    Phew,I thought I saw my inheritance going out the window.

4. Likes adama, Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nobody's that old - well apart from you.
    Thanks Back in the early 60ties, and still a teenager when I went to Denmark on holiday I got 20 Danish Crowns (DKK or kr.) for £1. Nowadays £1 would get me 8.50 Danish Crowns.

XE: GBP / DKK Currency Chart. British Pound to Danish Krone Rates

I wonder how it would look going back 50 years and not just 10? When did things start going downhill for you? The day after I left to go to Denmark?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Back in the early 60ties, and still a teenager when I went to Denmark on holiday I got 20 Danish Crowns (DKK or kr.) for £1. Nowadays £1 would get me 8.50 Danish Crowns.

XE: GBP / DKK Currency Chart. British Pound to Danish Krone Rates

I wonder how it would look going back 50 years and not just 10? When did things start going downhill for you? The day after I left to go to Denmark?
    50 years? ……. this inflation calculator is pretty scary, Historic inflation calculator: how the value of money has changed since 1900 | This is Money

Downhill for me? ………...it was okay until 1989 (age 34) when I had a nervous breakdown, ………..and after a lot of treatment etc etc, while I cope it was never anywhere near as good as it should have been, ………..BUT as an old timer bricklayer told a very young and green Sami, ''You can only play the cards you're dealt.''
    Last edited by Limy Sami; 03-09-2019 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Grammar

7. Likes camscan, barbter, Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When did things start going downhill for you? The day after I left to go to Denmark?
    How can the euro be worth so much compared to the £?
    Look at all the bankrupt countries and overall debt there is within the EU mechanism.
    But to answer your question, after 2008 there was a systematic drive to devalue the £ to make the UK more competitive. I believe...
    Euro to British Pound Spot Exchange Rates for 2008 from the Bank of England
    British Pound to Euro Spot Exchange Rates for 1999 to 2019 from the Bank of England

9. Likes adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Extreact from Wiki

World's Biggest Liar is an annual competition for telling lies, held in Cumbria, England. Competitors from around the world have five minutes to tell the biggest and most convincing lie they can.[1] Competition rules bar the use of props or scripts. Politicians and lawyers are not allowed to enter the competition, because "they are judged to be too skilled at telling porkies".[2]

World's Biggest Liar - Wikipedia

11. Likes adama liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BUT[/I] as an old timer bricklayer told a very young and green Sami, ''You can only play the cards you're dealt.''
    And yet there are a number of PM members that seem to firmly believe if you are poor, unemployed and/or something wrong with you it's your own fault.

Most of my life I've known what I wanted but also been very lucky. Fate? Luck? For some yes, for others no.

3 ways to get rich.
    1.marry it
    2.obtain it illegally(lot of ways)
    3.go into big business.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    1. How can the euro be worth so much compared to the £?
    2.Look at all the bankrupt countries and overall debt there is within the EU mechanism.
    ad 1. The Danish Crown (DKK) has agreed to follow the euro to within ±2%. In reality this means that it (DKK) is stronger than the euro. IOW we're not really affected by euro fluctuations but we are by GDP and USD ones.

ad 2. Countries like Greece lied through their teeth to join the euro. Don't forget too that many of the EU countries were formerly part of the USSR so not in great financial shape to begin with. Some of those former USSR countries (but now EU) are now doing extremely well.

Top 10: car producing countries, worldwide and EU | ACEA - European Automobile Manufacturers' Association

Is the EU as bad as some believe?

The economy | European Union

It'll very much depend on which EU country you live in.

There's no doubt that GDP per capita is much greater in the USA but how is it divided between richest and poorest? If Bill Gates walked into a normal bar all, on average, in the bar would become billionaires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And yet there are a number of PM members that seem to firmly believe if you are poor, unemployed and/or something wrong with you it's your own fault.

Most of my life I've known what I wanted but also been very lucky. Fate? Luck? For some yes, for others no.

3 ways to get rich.
    1.marry it
    3.go into big business.
    ''And yet there are a number of PM members that seem to firmly believe if you are poor, unemployed and/or something wrong with you it's your own fault.'' ……….have you noticed how they never state how successful they are?

As for marrying it? ………….in 1986 I could have, she was loaded (trust fund child etc etc) only I hated being bought.

Obtaining it illegally? ………..no thank you, I'm far too unlucky, and I'd top myself before going to prison.

Go into big business?? ……..no thanks, not my scene.

15. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...There's no doubt that GDP per capita is much greater in the USA but how is it divided between richest and poorest? If Bill Gates walked into a normal bar all, on average, in the bar would become billionaires.
    That's why economists don't use average income for comparisons, they use median income or median disposable income.

How middle classes in U.S., Western Europe compare

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    That's why economists don't use average income for comparisons, they use median income or median disposable income.

How middle classes in U.S., Western Europe compare
    I’d like to see them add how many hours/yr the US middle class has to work to make the after tax $61k compared to the Europeans. $61k net is approaching $100k gross.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Shop View Post
    I’d like to see them add how many hours/yr the US middle class has to work to make the after tax $61k compared to the Europeans. $61k net is approaching $100k gross.
    I don't know if the data is broken out that way, we know the average work hours per week for Americans is 34.5 hours and about 46.8 weeks/year.

We definitely work more hours than the average European- Americans are workaholics (I'm in my shop today, how about you?)

Here's OECD data average annual hours.

Employment - Hours worked - OECD Data

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3 ways to get rich.
    1.marry it
    3.go into big business.
    You missed number 4, stop bitching and go earn it, whilst i am not rich, i have everything i need, (sure there's gaps, big boat, Russian gymnast , small mansion etc) but im pretty certain i could have added at least 1 or 2 0's to my annual income if i did something i get no enjoyment from.

As to obtain it illegally well it was not topping myself before going down that put me off, it was the high likely hood what i was contemplating would have ended up in more community service than i would have done earning it legitimately (i don't always do well getting legal plants to grow assuming illegal ones don't grow any easier) or they would have just gone and done a bloody you turn and legalized weed and "stolen" away my bidness. My luck in life likes to take turns like that!

20. Likes Limy Sami, barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    As to obtain it illegally well it was not topping myself before going down that put me off, it was the high likely hood what i was contemplating would have ended up in more community service than i would have done earning it legitimately.
    I have an acquaintance who came by one day with a small suitcase. When he opened it up there was a million dollars inside.

At that level, it's not community service you're worried about

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The World's Most Trusted Broadcaster has a world exclusive, the UK is going to the dogs.
    Brexit: Crufts breeders at Birmingham show share EU exit fears - BBC News
    March 09 2019 BBC NEWS UK Local news
    "Brexit: Crufts breeders at Birmingham show share EU exit fears"
    "However, for the first time in almost 10 years, the Kennel Club says overseas numbers have fallen - to 3,611 competing this year, compared with 3,623 in 2018."
    12 dogs! I bet this will cause the UK economy to collapse!
    But the BBC found somebody who claimed to notice this, whilst showing dogs at the largest event of its type in Europe.
    Every single person quoted by the BBC blamed Brexit, it is amazing how frequently the BBC presents unanimity.
    I wonder how many people the BBC interviewed but did not quote, because it did not like the result.

23. Likes barbter, adama liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post
    The World's Most Trusted Broadcaster has a world exclusive, the UK is going to the dogs.
    "However, for the first time in almost 10 years, the Kennel Club says overseas numbers have fallen - to 3,611 competing this year, compared with 3,623 in 2018."
    But the BBC found somebody who claimed to notice this, whilst showing dogs at the largest event of its type in Europe.
    Every single person quoted by the BBC blamed Brexit, it is amazing how frequently the BBC presents unanimity.
    I wonder how many people the BBC interviewed but did not quote, because it did not like the result.
    So, are they ramping up the project fear brainwashing in preparation for the 2nd vote (I refuse to call it the peoples vote because we had one of them the first time).
    Do they know something that we don't - ie there will be one?
    Wankers.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3 ways to get rich.
    1.marry it
    3.go into big business.
    1. - I shacked up with Steptoes daughter...
    2. - bad juju with my luck
    3. - I hated big business with a passion. Full of tossers and people who couldn't get a real job jabbering buzzword bingo.

So it was Adams No 4 - work bloody hard although I shouldn't have worked quite so hard. They say it never killed anyone, but I confirm it fucks people up!

26. Likes Limy Sami, adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    So it was Adams No 4 - work bloody hard although I shouldn't have worked quite so hard. They say it never killed anyone, but I confirm it fucks people up!
    I wouldn't know about that, having got to 65 and never done an honest day's work since I discovered how much computer programmers could earn, and how it was impossible to tell if you were staring out the window daydreaming or actually thinking about the work problems...

PDW

28. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post
    Oh no ,I can't agree with that. You'll be telling me that the BBC is biased next. I suppose that when you convince me of that then you will start on their leftist slant. No,No, I don't believe you,I think.

30. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^ Brussels Broadcasting Corporation...

32. Likes camscan liked this post