Blast from the past - Brexit - Page 213
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 213 of 228 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,260 of 4543
  1. #4241
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1161
    Likes (Received)
    819

    Default

    [QUOTE=Tyrone Shoelaces;3373425]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post

    The Spaniards I know think we're crazy.

    Regards Tyrone.
    Not trolling - serious. Look back at previous pages and it shows how much money Germany has made out of the rest of the Eurozone, predominantly at the expense of France and Italy (I will try and find out how much expense it has cost the UK).
    And the Spanish would probably think the UK is mad wouldn't they. Look at all the new road and rail infrastructure they have had out of it where they get a lot more out than they put in. Their standards of living has risen.
    And the free movement so a lot of the under 25s have gone to London (or wherever) to find work.
    If I was Spanish, I'd want to stay too.

  2. #4242
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1161
    Likes (Received)
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Is that everyone in the EU that is either smiling or shaking their heads? How do you know this?
    I *think* LePen, Orban, Silvini etc like the idea of putting their countries first. But apparently they're all racists...
    I did read Italy is right in the crap with a spend to gdp ratio of 130+%.
    Only *bettered* by Greece at over 135%. And I thought Greece was being touted as a success story and out of recession?

  3. #4243
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    7,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1102
    Likes (Received)
    4904

    Default

    [QUOTE=barbter;3373477]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Not trolling - serious. Look back at previous pages and it shows how much money Germany has made out of the rest of the Eurozone, predominantly at the expense of France and Italy (I will try and find out how much expense it has cost the UK).
    And the Spanish would probably think the UK is mad wouldn't they. Look at all the new road and rail infrastructure they have had out of it where they get a lot more out than they put in. Their standards of living has risen.
    And the free movement so a lot of the under 25s have gone to London (or wherever) to find work.
    If I was Spanish, I'd want to stay too.
    Yes, Spain has learnt how to play the system and make the most of it. We've just bitched about it since day one and not helped ourselves in that respect.

    There may be an EU edict about disabled access. A bar near me has a ramp leading from the door to the street next to the stairs, the ramp is about 45 degrees. Nobody could go up and down the ramp in a wheelchair and drunks fall down it from time to time but they've ticked the " access " box. That's Spain for you. A nearby nightclub got around it by installing a short " Stanna stairlift " !

    When I go out in a group for a meal as far as I'm conceded the bill is split by the number of people at the meal. The U.K. Government have been in the " Well, I didn't have a starter and you had one glass of wine more than me " camp.

    Nobody on the site is on ignore as far as I'm concerned. It's like a workshop, you say your piece at dinner time and when the bell to start work again goes you're workmates again. Plus nobody has upset me enough for me to go to the trouble of finding out how you do it !

    Regards Tyrone.
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 06-20-2019 at 07:42 AM.

  4. Likes barbter, Limy Sami liked this post
  5. #4244
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1161
    Likes (Received)
    819

    Default

    [QUOTE=Tyrone Shoelaces;3373496]
    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post



    Nobody on the site is on ignore as far as I'm concerned. It's like a workshop, you say you piece at dinner time and when the bell to start work again goes you're workmates again. Plus nobody has upset me enough for me to go to the trouble of finding out how you do it !

    Regards Tyrone.
    +1 to this.
    I've never been upset enough on this forum by anyone. The level of knowledge here across the board is fantastic and just because someone has different views, to me it's small minded to ignore them.

  6. Likes Mrs Clarke, camscan liked this post
  7. #4245
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    18,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13690
    Likes (Received)
    13657

    Default

    [QUOTE=Tyrone Shoelaces;3373496]
    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post

    Yes, Spain has learnt how to play the system and make the most of it. We've just bitched about it since day one and not helped ourselves in that respect.


    Regards Tyrone.


    I agree Spain did (and does) well out of the EU, but I reckon the Irish have wiped the floor with the whole lot of em

  8. Likes TedinNorfolk liked this post
  9. #4246
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1161
    Likes (Received)
    819

    Default

    So back on track...possibly...Looking at the news figures today, the UK looks to be heading for a slow down.

    Current positives:- investment into the UK is more than Germany and France combined (apparently), current unemployment is lower than the mid 1970's, and inflation has dropped again.
    Negatives:- factory orders are drying-up (Brexit stockpiling and car factory closures to blame although some car factory closures can be argued as nothing to do with Brexit), and house prices are dropping (especially London).

    What was interesting to me is the chart attached, which shows the average house price across the country and it shows that by the start of 2009, recession was over. Which surprised me to say the least. I thought 2010 was "the year".


    Next - UK spend with the EU (after my earlier comment)
    To refresh (CEP study: Germany gains most from euro introduction | News | DW | 25.02.2019, )
    Germany has gained the most in the last 20 years - 1.9Trillion Euro ($2.1Trillion).
    France has lost 3.6Trillion Euro ($4 Trillion).
    Italy has lost 4.3Trillion Euro ($4.8 Trillion).
    I thought I'd check with fullfacts for the UK...
    Since 2000, the UKs net contribution is greater than the combined amount of all other countries, excluding Germany.
    It's around £122Billion.
    This is explained as "This is calculated by looking at the money the UK pays into the EU budget, including the rebate or discount that we get on that payment, and subtracting the money that comes back to the UK public sector again from the EU.
    It doesn’t include money that the EU pays directly to the UK private sector. If you factor that in, Britains given the EU £65Billion"

    So for me, everyday is a schoolday. I had no idea that the EU were funding the UK private sector by anywhere near that amount.
    I wish I could have got some more when I had my business...

    This claim about the UK's EU contribution is correct, but meaningless - Full Fact
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

  10. #4247
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    18,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13690
    Likes (Received)
    13657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    So back on track...possibly...Looking at the news figures today, the UK looks to be heading for a slow down.

    Current positives:- investment into the UK is more than Germany and France combined (apparently), current unemployment is lower than the mid 1970's, and inflation has dropped again.
    Negatives:- factory orders are drying-up (Brexit stockpiling and car factory closures to blame although some car factory closures can be argued as nothing to do with Brexit), and house prices are dropping (especially London).

    What was interesting to me is the chart attached, which shows the average house price across the country and it shows that by the start of 2009, recession was over. Which surprised me to say the least. I thought 2010 was "the year".


    Next - UK spend with the EU (after my earlier comment)
    To refresh (CEP study: Germany gains most from euro introduction | News | DW | 25.02.2019, )
    Germany has gained the most in the last 20 years - 1.9Trillion Euro ($2.1Trillion).
    France has lost 3.6Trillion Euro ($4 Trillion).
    Italy has lost 4.3Trillion Euro ($4.8 Trillion).
    I thought I'd check with fullfacts for the UK...
    Since 2000, the UKs net contribution is greater than the combined amount of all other countries, excluding Germany.
    It's around £122Billion.
    This is explained as "This is calculated by looking at the money the UK pays into the EU budget, including the rebate or discount that we get on that payment, and subtracting the money that comes back to the UK public sector again from the EU.
    It doesn’t include money that the EU pays directly to the UK private sector. If you factor that in, Britains given the EU £65Billion"

    So for me, everyday is a schoolday. I had no idea that the EU were funding the UK private sector by anywhere near that amount.
    I wish I could have got some more when I had my business...

    This claim about the UK's EU contribution is correct, but meaningless - Full Fact
    2 points come to mind on that, ….yes the EU gives to the private sector (and I know a shop that had most of a new 20mm slider (Swiss) but (but and it's a big but ????) what the so called ''consultants'' (who you cannot do without) who arranged it all got out of it, made Fred the Shred Goodwin look like he was on the parish.


    Secondly, The twat who compiled that graph obviously didn't sell a house in 2013. eg, between May 2012 and July 2013 the market up here dropped over 30%.

  11. #4248
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1161
    Likes (Received)
    819

    Default

    Sam,
    I developed a patented tapping head a few years ago. Me and a consultant, who was actually an old mate who was a consultant that I'd worked with from a previous place. He was very good at filling in the right boxes, so we got an EU grant but via the UK Gubmint (it was only a few grand but the UK paid it as far as I know money certainly was GBP and came from UK gov).
    Now, the funny thing is that as soon as it was issued, I was harassed by 3x separate consultant firms who were going to put a team of people into my place to develop this. And they got the right arse when I insisted that we were more than capable and if we needed help we'd ask (LoL). So as for who was paying these companies, I do not know, but assumed it was the UK gov.
    But perhaps it was direct from the EU?

    Ref the house prices - yes in Bournemouth they dropped and stayed dropped to.
    A cynic may say that as the chart is a HM land registry produced "thing", it could have some positive "spin" (or how you say, "little white lies" )

  12. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
  13. #4249
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    18,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13690
    Likes (Received)
    13657

    Default

    Re EU funds

    In 1978 (as in 5 years after we joined the EEC) and due to reasons many and varied, I ended up working in Agricultural Engineering, and through that met a farmer (grain spuds and veg - no livestock) with a family holding of around 500 acres I liked and got to know quite well - well enough for me to rent a workshop (still visible on Google Earth!) from him at a very very good rate.

    He'd often drop in for a cup of coffee, warm and chat and he told me that his recently departed Grandfather, on us joining the EEC had got hold of a complete full size copy of the Common Agricultural Policy, which over the space of a few months the old boy read and made copious notes etc etc.


    He then called a family meeting to discuss his findings and deliberations, and opened up with something like, ''I thought wartime agricultural production was good for us farmers, which it was, …………….. but I can assure you, we have now found Eldorado, …….and all we have to do is work out how to keep it.''


    And from what I could make out, he (and others!) ran rings round both our Min of Ag, and the Common Market wallahs. ……………………………….and the Irish farmers weren't far behind

  14. Likes barbter liked this post
  15. #4250
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    2,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3922
    Likes (Received)
    13322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Yes, Spain has learnt how to play the system and make the most of it.

    Regards Tyrone.
    I find that sentence very negative but that was maybe the intention.

    You could also say that some countries have given thought to getting as much out of the EU as possible. Ireland is a good example of this as the way things have changed for them the past 25 years is impressive.

    Impact of EU membership on Ireland | Ireland

    Eastern European countries saw it as way to get out of mess that was USSR. Some are now doing exceptionally well. As you mentioned Tyrone all the UK ever seems to have done is bitch and want more out of it than they put in.

    A country can "play the system" or give real thought on how to get the most advantages from the system. At the risk of repeating myself yet again has any UK European MP done anything worth mentioning since 1972?

    The EU parliament is like most others. A majority will often get what they want. Within the EU a majority requires several countries working together. I wonder how many in the UK even think about the fact that the EU parliament is "divided" in political "blocks"? From left wing to right wing.

    A Brit can surprise me if they can tell me which "block" most UK EU politicians are in.

  16. #4251
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1161
    Likes (Received)
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post

    You could also say that some countries have given thought to getting as much out of the EU as possible. Ireland is a good example of this as the way things have changed for them the past 25 years is impressive.

    Impact of EU membership on Ireland | Ireland
    Ignoring all the feel good EU report you linked, what about the elephant in the room?
    The 220Billion debt they have which is 42,000Euro per person?
    Here's a quote from the linked:-
    As things stand, €1 in every €13 spent by the Government goes on paying interest on the national debt. Put another way, almost one-third of the income tax paid by workers in Ireland goes on the interest bill. It is an enormous financial albatross around our necks.

    Ireland Debt Clock: How Much National Debt Does Ireland Have? - Commodity.com
    Richard Curran: Like death and taxes, €200bn debt will always be with us - Independent.ie

  17. #4252
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    18,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13690
    Likes (Received)
    13657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    As things stand, €1 in every €13 spent by the Government goes on paying interest on the national debt. Put another way, almost one-third of the income tax paid by workers in Ireland goes on the interest bill. It is an enormous financial albatross around our necks.

    ]
    And you can bet your last cent, penny or bent rusty washer, that if the government wasn't paying the 1 in 13 euros in interest, there would be a clamour for tax cuts, - so Joe average would be no better off.

  18. Likes Tyrone Shoelaces liked this post
  19. #4253
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    7,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1102
    Likes (Received)
    4904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Sam,
    I developed a patented tapping head a few years ago. Me and a consultant, who was actually an old mate who was a consultant that I'd worked with from a previous place. He was very good at filling in the right boxes, so we got an EU grant but via the UK Gubmint (it was only a few grand but the UK paid it as far as I know money certainly was GBP and came from UK gov).
    Now, the funny thing is that as soon as it was issued, I was harassed by 3x separate consultant firms who were going to put a team of people into my place to develop this. And they got the right arse when I insisted that we were more than capable and if we needed help we'd ask (LoL). So as for who was paying these companies, I do not know, but assumed it was the UK gov.
    But perhaps it was direct from the EU?

    Ref the house prices - yes in Bournemouth they dropped and stayed dropped to.
    A cynic may say that as the chart is a HM land registry produced "thing", it could have some positive "spin" (or how you say, "little white lies" )
    If it's not a State Secret what did your tapper do that others didn't do ? I've used everything from the old bog standard " Pearns " ( spring loaded that you adjusted with a C spanner, idiot proof ), " Asquith " ( Patented design that worked like a dream ), " Tapmatic " ( slight adjustment needed ) and several other European ones that all worked perfectly.

    Talking hand held tappers the best I ever used was the " Desoutter " electric models, they were a dream to use.

    I didn't realise the market required a new, better tapper.

    Regards Tyone.

  20. #4254
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1161
    Likes (Received)
    819

    Default

    In a nutshell it was for small holes <M2 for rigid tapping on a CNC which allowed for small misalignment of position and any synchronous pitch error in the machine.
    Basically an elastomeric flex drive which allowed a small amount of "give"

    The best on the market by far IMO is the Microtap (M0.5>M3) microtap GmbH Germany - Thread Tapping :: Products
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

  21. Likes Spinit liked this post
  22. #4255
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    7,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1102
    Likes (Received)
    4904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    In a nutshell it was for small holes <M2 for rigid tapping on a CNC which allowed for small misalignment of position and any synchronous pitch error in the machine.
    Basically an elastomeric flex drive which allowed a small amount of "give"

    The best on the market by far IMO is the Microtap (M0.5>M3) microtap GmbH Germany - Thread Tapping :: Products
    Ok,very interesting, in my previous world 1/2" Whitworth was small. In another job I had back in the 1970's they were tapping 2BA holes on 6ft " Asquith " Powerthrust radial arm drills ! What they used to hold the taps I can't recall.

    Regards Tyrone.

  23. #4256
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    18,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13690
    Likes (Received)
    13657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    In a nutshell it was for small holes <M2 for rigid tapping on a CNC which allowed for small misalignment of position and any synchronous pitch error in the machine.
    Basically an elastomeric flex drive which allowed a small amount of "give"
    That's a cunning wheeze, like it MMMMM? must come from being born in the Deep South

  24. Likes barbter liked this post
  25. #4257
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Norwich U.K. & Marvao, Portugal
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    776
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    Here is an extreme example of what went on Spain. The land was compulsory purchased, some from small scale farmers who were told - You won't need to do this subsistence farming with goats and sheep anymore, there will be all the work you want at the new airport. Now they have no work and no land. Much more on the net.
    AirportWatch | Sad story of Ciudad Real Airport – a massive white elephant – that sits abandoned in central Spain

    Spain's Ciudad Real airport sold at auction for €10,000 - BBC News

  26. #4258
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredo222 View Post
    Here is an extreme example of what went on Spain. The land was compulsory purchased, some from small scale farmers who were told - You won't need to do this subsistence farming with goats and sheep anymore, there will be all the work you want at the new airport. Now they have no work and no land. Much more on the net.
    AirportWatch | Sad story of Ciudad Real Airport – a massive white elephant – that sits abandoned in central Spain

    Spain's Ciudad Real airport sold at auction for €10,000 - BBC News
    I flew there with the family just after it opened - very cheap flights with Ryanair from Stansted. Used the local town (Ciudad Real) as a base for a week with 4 trips into Madrid on the high speed train from the Town. I actually liked the place.

  27. #4259
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    1,646
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    507

    Default

    At least it was operational.....the uber efficient and honest Germans also have a giant white elephant airport that will likely never open ,has cost 5 billion euros ,and is mired in political corruption and mismanagement ....Berlins new airport....Well it was new when construction started,now its all outdated ,and can never operate effciently,and will likely end up demolished ,wasting another 5 billion on a new carbon neutral structure.Looks to me like the corruption of southern regions of the EU is gradually pervading the north.

  28. #4260
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1161
    Likes (Received)
    819

    Default

    All change in charge of the EU by the looks of it.
    Not sure they were democratically voted in - Gordon may advise...
    Meet Your New EU Overlords - Euro Guido


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •