Login to Your Account
Page 226 of 326 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,520 of 6506
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    He never could keep up with Kenny

But after those crashes, I'm amazed that he'd get back on two wheels ever ! Barry musta had a screw loose ....
    I completely agree, IMO there were better riders than Barry,but few better showmen - he showed the rest how to make / get the most out of riding a motorbike.

And having briefly met and spoken with both Barry and Stephanie **, (albeit when they were racing so ''at work'') they both came across as decent nice people.

** Though being served beer and cigarettes by a bikini and Daisy Duke clad, top supermodel of her day, ……..had shall we say ;- a rather profound affect on this 20 year old country boy

2. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    We've just had another (yes another ) televised leadership debate Tory leadership: Johnson and Hunt trade blows over Brexit and Trump - BBC News ………...and IMO, though all the BS noise shouting lying and static, ……..I got the distinct impression, that deep down BOTH candidates are crapping themselves that they might actually win and get the job.

Meanwhile Labour has moved a little closer to giving a firm position on Brexit - namely to back Remain as it calls for a new EU referendum Brexit: Labour to back Remain as it calls for a new EU referendum - BBC News

I'll say it again ;- we ain't leaving the EU.
    I'm still thinking that by Christmas there's been another election and Comrade Corbyn is sat in #10 with a coalition gubmint.
    God help anyone with a spare bedroom and a garden...

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    I completely agree, IMO there were better riders than Barry,but few better showmen - he showed the rest how to make / get the most out of riding a motorbike.

And having briefly met and spoken with both Barry and Stephanie **, (albeit when they were racing so ''at work'') they both came across as decent nice people.

** Though being served beer and cigarettes by a bikini and Daisy Duke clad, top supermodel of her day, ……..had shall we say ;- a rather profound affect on this 20 year old country boy
    Two of my favourite Bazzer Pics. Grabbing Mick Grants arse going to the grid (making him jump) and the old long Spar track (Belgium) which he holds the record for the fasted average lap at over 135mph (will never be beaten as the track is now short).
    Also my favourite Kenny pic - catching a nap before a race (pre motorhome era but the Cortina may have been a Ghia!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bazzer-mick-grant.jpg   bazzer.jpg   kenny-r-napp.jpg  

5. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lastly ref King Kenny, if you've never seen this, it's worth 5 mins of your time.
    It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
    You either got it, or you aint...
    YouTube

7. Likes Limy Sami, digger doug, daredo222 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I'm still thinking that by Christmas there's been another election and Comrade Corbyn is sat in #10 with a coalition gubmint.
    God help anyone with a spare bedroom and a garden...
    God help any council tenant with a spare bedroom now. My sister is in this position. Both her sons are in the process of leaving home, one to the forces, and there's no chance of her being able to move to more suitable council accommodation.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    God help any council tenant with a spare bedroom now. My sister is in this position. Both her sons are in the process of leaving home, one to the forces, and there's no chance of her being able to move to more suitable council accommodation.

Regards Tyrone.
    So what are you saying they're going to do Tyrone - move your sister out because she only needs the one bedroom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lastly ref King Kenny, if you've never seen this, it's worth 5 mins of your time.
    It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
    You either got it, or you aint...
    YouTube

X 2 on what he said …...I first saw Kenny Roberts Easter 1974 ** at Brands Hatch, for the 1st round of the Transatlantic Trophy, and remember that having seen all the hype in the m /cycle press, was like the rest of my mates (''yeah yeah yeah, so the yanks have got a bloke who can ride a bike'') …………...and like them had a very sudden um? - reappraisal, …….the man was a motorbike riding machine!

** I admit I had to look it up to check the dates,

P.S. Can anyone remember (without looking it up ) which rider was nicknamed ''Superfrog'' ?

11. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=thermite;3382324]On that point alone... For a BMW 5-series 4-Dr, based London, UK, still firmly in the EU... I needed "double disk" insurance cover (EU plus former East bloc), plus Swiss road-tax chit. USAA-London covered all that for $300 USD/year, dawn of the 1990's

My UK mates with gites in the South of France, Portugal, Spain, and/or boats on the med, etc, with "civilian" insurance told me that 300 quid (GBP) a MONTH was closer to what they needed to operate on the continent as well as the UK, and they AVOIDED Poland & other not-yet-then EU members.

Not too sure if I am reading this right but my comprehensive car insurance, including insuring my no claims bonus, foreign travel including towing a caravan is £220/year. I could reduce this by limiting my mileage (not kilometreage). This also includes my wife driving the car and broken windscreen cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So what are you saying they're going to do Tyrone - move your sister out because she only needs the one bedroom?
    Look up " Bedroom Tax " on the Internet. Basically if you're a council tenant on benefits ( as is my sister ) your benefits get cut substantially if you have any empty bedrooms. The plan was to free up the bigger houses with unoccupied bedrooms but if there are no smaller houses where can she go ?

If she does get a move to a one bedroom flat let's say and her son decides the army isn't for him what happens then ? Where does he go ?

Another daft idea dreamt up by people who live in ivory towers.

Regards Tyrone.

14. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear this Tyrone - it must worry the crap out of her.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a question...Have we actually already left the EU?
    Ref Bill Cash and his comments... the below looks black and white.
    And here's the official link which is the same - the picture isn't doctored European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017

One other thing - one of the guys local to me added the other comment (photo) which was interesting about Spain treating UK as International when going for residency ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg   capture.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=camscan;3382486]
    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    On that point alone... For a BMW 5-series 4-Dr, based London, UK, still firmly in the EU... I needed "double disk" insurance cover (EU plus former East bloc), plus Swiss road-tax chit. USAA-London covered all that for $300 USD/year, dawn of the 1990's

My UK mates with gites in the South of France, Portugal, Spain, and/or boats on the med, etc, with "civilian" insurance told me that 300 quid (GBP) a MONTH was closer to what they needed to operate on the continent as well as the UK, and they AVOIDED Poland & other not-yet-then EU members.

Not too sure if I am reading this right but my comprehensive car insurance, including insuring my no claims bonus, foreign travel including towing a caravan is £220/year. I could reduce this by limiting my mileage (not kilometreage). This also includes my wife driving the car and broken windscreen cover.
    Note highlighted company.
    USAA - Wikipedia

Another tax payer funded "military members only" benny.

Prices not base in any reality, any losses are made up by the "no say in this" taxpayers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a question...Have we actually already left the EU?
    Ref Bill Cash and his comments... the below looks black and white.
    And here's the official link which is the same - the picture isn't doctored European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017

One other thing - one of the guys local to me added the other comment (photo) which was interesting about Spain treating UK as International when going for residency ?
    That could, and I seriously mean COULD (as in might, I don't know either way!!!) only be one interpretation, legislation and the law - as any lawyer will tell you, is very seldom in black and white (if it was lawyers would be out of a job)

PLUS and it's a big plus, that is only part of the process, NOT the deal itself.

ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC

Good here innit mate

19. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Note highlighted company.
    USAA - Wikipedia

Another tax payer funded "military members only" benny.

Prices not base in any reality, any losses are made up by the "no say in this" taxpayers.
    "taxpayer funded" my aching ass!

That is about the most IGNORANT post you've made yet, Garvin-San.

Nought to do with taxpayers or gummint at all.

It started because no one wanted to insure "transients" - the military - at all.

"We" then and now - fund it ourselves as a mutual risk pool or "co-op".

The restriction to serving and veteran members of the Armed Forces began as a necessity, and continued because - lo and BEHELD... that turned out to be a group of humans with higher than average levels of personal responsibility, lower than average wont to cheat on claims, hence much lower loss rates than average.

We also STAFF with Veterans and family. Same reason. Good folks. Best we can find anywhere, and dedicated to our "family".

With "members" rather than outside investors, we have low costs, hence low rates, and even then return any surplus to ourselves. There usually IS a modest surplus, too.

Not the only example in the world of a successful co-op, or "mutual", BTW. The US has several others. So, too LATAM and Europe.

PS: If you use electronic banking, EFT, ATMs?

The core, key technology for all that was developed by USAA. Then donated, royalty free, to the other commercial bankers. Because that benefited all-hands.

Vets don't hold a patent on that, but it was in our makeup when we raised that right hand and granted the rest of you lot a blank check on our very lives.

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As Bill said,

USAA was started by and for US military commissioned officers in the 1920's There is no government involvement never has been. My dad was a member starting in 1938. Today any one who has served or their family are eligible to become members. I will say since the new policy of allowing more members it has become less of a good deal.

I still have one car and couple of bank accounts with USAA, they have a great web bank.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "taxpayer funded" my aching ass!

That is about the most IGNORANT post you've made yet, Garvin-San.

Nought to do with taxpayers or gummint at all.

It started because no one wanted to insure "transients" - the military - at all.

"We" then and now - fund it ourselves as a mutual risk pool or "co-op".

The restriction to serving and veteran members of the Armed Forces began as a necessity, and continued because - lo and BEHELD... that turned out to be a group of humans with higher than average levels of personal responsibility, lower than average wont to cheat on claims, hence much lower loss rates than average.

We also STAFF with Veterans and family. Same reason. Good folks. Best we can find anywhere, and dedicated to our "family".

With "members" rather than outside investors, we have low costs, hence low rates, and even then return any surplus to ourselves. There usually IS a modest surplus, too.

Not the only example in the world of a successful co-op, or "mutual", BTW. The US has several others. So, too LATAM and Europe.

PS: If you use electronic banking, EFT, ATMs?

The core, key technology for all that was developed by USAA. Then donated, royalty free, to the other commercial bankers. Because that benefited all-hands.

Vets don't hold a patent on that, but it was in our makeup when we raised that right hand and granted the rest of you lot a blank check on our very lives.
    Wave that flag...
    The people I know that went military did it because they had nothing else going for them.
    Except for one, I think he’s still in Leavenworth.

On edit...
    My cousin that was CG walks the walk.
    She left when CG became LEO not SR.

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Wave that flag...
    The people I know that went military did it because they had nothing else going for them.

On edit...
    My cousin that was CG walks the walk.
    She left when CG became LEO not SR.
    That is just rubbish,

I have friends and family both conscripted and volunteer who have served with distinction. Painting all service members with a broad brush is just like a KKKer painting all non whites that same way. You should know better than that, I am appalled but not surprised.

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Wave that flag...
    Schmekel!

"Why are we not surprised?", birds of a feather, etc.

25. Likes Thunderjet liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For our Merrican friends, here's just how fooked the NHS is.
    I have said here that my parents can only get an appointment that's now 8 weeks away...

Well here's a letter for my step lads appointment - he got a head injury and his consultant neurologist was asked for an appointment to check him out.
    9 months...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Time to move to Denmark.

28. Likes daredo222, camscan, Limy Sami liked this post