Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Which ones?

Three shifts running, ain't there?
    Every damn one of them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best quote all year "c´est la bullshit".
    Fantastic soundbite.

--

The UK-French volume is about 300.000 trucks per year, about 6x bigger than Finland-Russia total traffic.
    The French side of the UK trade, French tunnel end, has never had to deal with customs and logistics issues in scale.
    They have no history, personnel, experience, logistics buffers.

The tunnel transit trade has never ever had to do, and to learn how, to deal with perhaps 2000 trucks per day with full-on customs paperwork required for 70-100% of the trade.
    On either side, of course.

"Le paperwork" is what the magnificent french clerks might be replying to the increasingly anxious trucker to the UK,
    transporting the 70% of daily fresh food that the UK eats, from the EU.
    And the food has a perish date, and a value date, and delays reduce the value of the shipment.

If one has experienced the full might and range of french paperwork, permits, stamps, and steps required to process something official of value and registered officially, one might tremble at expecting 2000 truckers per day to navigate this.
    And a lot of EU truckers are from Poland, Romania, or similar.
    They are astute, smart, technically very clever, good workers, in general.
    But they mostly don´t speak French or English very well, and paperwork is not their strong suite.

Trucking runs on thin margins, and so do groceries in wholesale import scale.
    The customs theatre would probably cost 2500€ initially FCL.

For 20 tons net load fresh food at 3€/kg retail arpu, 2500€ == 4%.
    That means food might cost 4% more, plus 8% more first 2 months.
    12% extra is not critical, with about 4% at 60 (180) days, and maybe 3% at 1 (5) years.

--
    So: Sky won´t fall.
    4% extra food costs on UK popula, that´s all.

If and only if the UK does not impose any future fees on any and all import goods (fresh food) from the EU.
    Registration, marking, labeling, certification, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Sacre Bleu!!!

But according to him, it's all "C'est la bullshit"
    Save

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    If one has experienced the full might and range of french paperwork, permits, stamps, and steps required to process something official of value and registered officially, one might tremble at expecting 2000 truckers per day to navigate this.
    Oh ye of fossilization:

"le paperwork" as it WAS is not "le paperwork" as it will become.

A here hand-wave crossing from Poland into the Slovak Republic when they were still brand-new. And I WANTED a stamp. For my collection. Finally "tipped"' and got one.

Not much help. Basically invisible.

Poor buggers weren't stamping anything. Because they had no money for ink-pads to wet their stamps!

French or Spanish produce won't be left to rot. Shippers won't get PAID.

They, not the UK, will sort that with THEIR munchkins. Damned fast, too.

Clerks as interfere with food "ill become it". Too much fat and gristle on 'em for good eating.

Beside... did yah ever try to CLEAN a hooverment employee for a stew or fry-up? Even marinated, damned hard to get the stench of corruption out.

4. Likes camscan liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re a hard Brexit.

I'm reading today that Vauxhall (Ellesmere Port) will be next to move (probably to Germany) in the event of a hard Brexit. Today 8 out of 10 cars there are exported to the rest of Europe and 3 out of 4 components are produced outside the UK.

Honda in Swindon and Nissan in Sunderland are closing.

Ford and Jaguar are decreasing their activities in the UK so all in all it looks as if thousands of jobs are very much in jeopardy.

How much of this is making the news and being taken into account?

2˝ months to go doesn't give much time for negotiations. Maybe I'm not getting all the news but so far I haven't heard what any new "demands" from the UK (and BJ) are. I'm hoping that the present government at least has a majority behind it to back up what they want before approaching the EU. So far it's been a waste of time and effort for the EU agreeing to what May wanted. Will it be any different with and for Boris?

If there was a clear majority for or against Brexit that'd be good but as things are it's too close to 50 50 to give anything but trouble.

With the election system the way it is in the UK (winner takes all) then it isn't about what the individual member of parliament believes is best but what he/she believes will get them votes. Maybe why honest politicians are few and far apart?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Re a hard Brexit.

I'm reading today that Vauxhall (Ellesmere Port) will be next to move (probably to Germany) in the event of a hard Brexit. Today 8 out of 10 cars there are exported to the rest of Europe and 3 out of 4 components are produced outside the UK.

Honda in Swindon and Nissan in Sunderland are closing.

Ford and Jaguar are decreasing their activities in the UK so all in all it looks as if thousands of jobs are very much in jeopardy.

How much of this is making the news and being taken into account?

2˝ months to go doesn't give much time for negotiations. Maybe I'm not getting all the news but so far I haven't heard what any new "demands" from the UK (and BJ) are. I'm hoping that the present government at least has a majority behind it to back up what they want before approaching the EU. So far it's been a waste of time and effort for the EU agreeing to what May wanted. Will it be any different with and for Boris?

If there was a clear majority for or against Brexit that'd be good but as things are it's too close to 50 50 to give anything but trouble.

With the election system the way it is in the UK (winner takes all) then it isn't about what the individual member of parliament believes is best but what he/she believes will get them votes. Maybe why honest politicians are few and far apart?
    Here we go again... I know I'm wasting my breath but...

Who owns Vauxhall Gordon?
    Answer , the Frenchies. THIS has a huge impact on the decision, just like they keep threatening the Airbus plants.
    As you say, 80% of the cars are exported, but that is also because the UK don't want to buy the POS cars. Vauxhalls used to sell well, back in the day...

BUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT.....as spoken about and spoken about pages ago...THIS is what is happening to the market:-
    Internal Combustion car manufacturing is dying_on_it_feet.
    The Fiat/Chrysler merger was a disaster as was Renault/Nissan.
    NOBODY is investing in combustion engine technology (except the motorbike companies).
    Fiats and Fords are being built on the same platform in Eastern Europe.
    European car manufacturing is unfortunately finished. Because the EU keep talking that by 2030, 50% of any cars produced in Europe will HAVE to be electric.
    And by 2040, all vehicles will HAVE to be electric.
    The EU have killed it because of this nonsense CO2 global warming shit.
    Ford US are only planning to build 2 cars in the USA and one of them is a pickup.

THE ONLY THING that can genuinely be attributed to Brexit IMO is the Honda Swindon closure. Because on the morning after the YES vote (remember that - the majority voted LEAVE), the Japanese PM sent a letter to the UK gov to ask for clarity, and the useless ignorant wankers never had the courtesy to reply.
    So the Japs made their decision to pull stumps, because as they said "our deal was with Mrs Thatcher and she's not there anymore".
    Oh, and a zero tariff EU agreement which was pushed through to punish the UK didn't help either...

Jaguar is investing and will be continuing to build their new electric car platform in the UK.
    Jaguar is investing and will be continuing to build their new electric car platform in the UK.
    ^^^Can you remember this bit now???

All the negativity is always in the news and has been constantly for the last 3 years because the news/media doesn't want the UK to leave.
    THIS has been said again and again (Biased Broadcasting Corporation/Brussels Broadcasting Corporation etc).
    And that's not me talking (although it's bloody obvious) they are going to face a legal case against them.

2.5months is plenty of time. Depending upon what you're gong to do.
    Remember, Martin Selmayr (was secretary general of EU) who was put in position by Juncker (no votes in the democratic paradise - just put him in the most senior position) offered David Lidington (Mays deputy) to put Brexit on "ice" for 5 years during a private lunch.
    He said "Let’s see how things go, let’s get the UK involved with France and Germany, let’s see how the dust settles and let’s talk about whether we can come to a new deal for Europe’”.
    That wouldn't take long to agree would it.
    Nor would Tusks original offer to the UK (which the ERG pretty much wanted).

Honest politicians few and far between hey? Really?

AND IT WAS NOT MAYS DEAL - IT WAS WRITTEN BY THE EU AND HANDED TO HER!!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honest politicians few and far between hey? Really?
    Ummmh .that sort of oxymoron is part of how yah know yer being trolled.

To paraphrase Ghandi when asked what he thought of "western civilization":

"Honest politician? I think it would be a very good idea!"

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here we go again... I know I'm wasting my breath but...
    To paraphrase Lewis Carroll:-

Gordon laughed. "There's no use trying," he said: "one can't believe impossible things."
    "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said barbter. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

9. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who owns Vauxhall Gordon?
    Vauxhall Motors - Wikipedia

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Ummmh .that sort of oxymoron is part of how yah know yer being trolled.

To paraphrase Ghandi when asked what he thought of "western civilization":

"Honest politician? I think it would be a very good idea!"
    I do realise this Bill. Truly I do!
    I genuinely don't think *he* realises he's doing it though...

*he* NOT meaning Ghandi

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And?
    What does this mean?
    You can use Wiki?
    What is your point?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do realise this Bill. Truly I do!
    I genuinely don't think *he* realises he's doing it though...

*he* NOT meaning Ghandi
    "Inanity is habituating?"

At least I try to be an arsehole from different directions, different hours.

Makes it harder for them as would poke sumick up it, if nought else..

14. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
    I did 7 today - hey, it's my lucky number.
    Yup, I'm so green I'm yellow and blue...

16. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And?
    What does this mean?
    You can use Wiki?
    What is your point?
    Jeez. You asked me a question and I answered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can Corbyn just "appoint himself" head of state and cancel the referendum?

Today's news indicates he is trying.

Strange government that would allow that. I mean, Do I need to be a citizen to appoint myself leader of Britain? . I would to give it a go..... It must pay well..... ;-)

Absurd!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did 7 today - hey, it's my lucky number.
    Yup, I'm so green I'm yellow and blue...
    A..s**t. If you wake up black and blue??? WTF might you have been UP to..the night before...???

Gitin' OLD when you put yer teeth in upside-down.. and they fit better... 'specially when you recall you ain't yet even been fitted for false teeth.

Now... if I can jest find them two hole-saws I need to cut the..

??

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Can Corbyn just "appoint himself" head of state and cancel the referendum?

Today's news indicates he is trying.
    He is trying but no, it doesn't work like that. He can cause trouble and if he can get a parliamentary majority behind him (twice) can stop BJ. There is a good chance it'll end with a general election happening befor time.

Remember as things are just now BJ only has a majority in parliament of one and even in his own party (conservative) there are some that would rather see his heel than toe.

BJ has a tendency to divide rather than unite.

If there was a secret vote in parliament I'm reasonably sure Brexit would be dead in the water. As things are the only thing on the mind of MPs is wondering if how they vote will get them re-elected by their voters. Winner takes all system.

I've got to add to all this nonsense that it isn't the EU that is making this into the problem/mess it is. The UK has had plenty of time to figure out what they want and don't want. May (IMO) bears the responsibility for failure as she never had a UK parliamentary majority behind her in any negotiations. That should have been top priority but wasn't.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeez. You asked me a question and I answered.
    I thought you were trying to point something import out to me.
    It was a rhetorical question of who owned Vauxhall, because the following sentence I’d said it was the French

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BJ has a tendency to divide rather than unite.

I've got to add to all this nonsense that it isn't the EU that is making this into the problem/mess it is. The UK has had plenty of time to figure out what they want and don't want. May (IMO) bears the responsibility for failure as she never had a UK parliamentary majority behind her in any negotiations. That should have been top priority but wasn't.
    Hmmm....you sure of this?
    The opinion polls i'd seen showed that when May was PM, the Brexit party were leading the way and the Conservative party were nearly finished.
    And now Boris is PM, the same polls show a massive decline in the Brexit party figures, and their numbers have shifted to the Conservative party.

So May says no Brexit, and the great unwashed leave.
    Boris says Brexit and the great unwashed return.

Regarding what the people who won the vote want...
    talkRADIO on Twitter: "Julia: "We did know what we voted for! How many years must 17.4 million people be told we didn't know what we voted for?!"

@JuliaHB1 | @hennashah94 | @andrejpwalker… https://t.co/wx2Foq94Q5"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We shouldn't give a f'k what we voted for, cos we ain't getting it, n the sooner the whole nation, be they leavers, remainers, abstainers ...……...……….. even north of the border expats living in Denmark - once and for all get that, and STFU ;- the f'kn better.

24. Likes TeachMePlease, barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    We shouldn't give a f'k what we voted for, cos we ain't getting it, n the sooner the whole nation, be they leavers, remainers, abstainers ...……...……….. even north of the border expats living in Denmark - once and for all get that, and STFU ;- the f'kn better.
    Come on - this has *months* of entertainment left in it yet. Nowhere near the 'flogging a dead horse' point.

Great entertainment. I'm waiting for November 1 when the world ends and the Channel tunnel is filled with rotting French produce plus the cows of Eire go on strike and refuse to cross the (still unmanned and defunct) border...... meanwhile France, Germany et al *insist* that Eire start manning that border to protect the EU from the rampaging hordes in the UK that desperately want to undermine the Common Market.

And we haven't even given the possibilities inherent in Corbyn becoming a temporary PM a run.

Lots of fun to be had. Stop your whining.

PDW

26. Likes barbter, camscan, Mark Rand liked this post