Page 263 of 284 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,260 of 5668
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    What, exactly, will be the future profitable UK exports without the EU ?
    The UK is a very technological country. Look at the universities, look at F1, satellite tech, medical, aerospace etc.
    I'd like to see some inward gov investment (tax incentives or gov-funded cheap loans) to encourage businesses to grow (and to support new-starts).
    When I had my little factory, there was not one penny of gov grants available to me. Not one penny throughout 12 years. And some offered help to achieve ISO accreditation would have been nice.
    If I moved 1.5 miles across the border, I'd have been in the South West where the regional development fund threw money at companies, like Santa would throw sweets at kids on a parade.
    It was a load of unfair bollox, because I lived in a more "affluent area".
    Just like surgery BTW - it's a zip code lottery to where you live and if you will get certain treatment or operations.

Anyway...
    Without doubt banking will still be a huge part of the UK.
    I read I think 3 or 4 months ago, that the new investment and jobs in London in the 12 month period was far more than Germany and France combined for the previous 3 years.
    So not a lot will change there, although with a Brexit, the Yanks would I'm sure get involved some more.
    But we know Brexit won't happen.

As for everything else, do you really think it will change THAT much?
    I can't really see it. Buyers/Purchasing managers are lazy bastards, and do_not_like_change!
    So I'm sure they'd continue to buy, just as the UK will continue to buy - but also because Brexit won't happen.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Would that be Barbie Gaye's 1956 recording?

or Millie Small's 1964

or Bad Manners 1982

or Kosmonova 2004

Inquiring minds and all that
    Millie Small. The song is goofy, she was goofy, it all went together in a very goofy pre-reggae way. There's something about reggae, jah mon, don' be settin' fire to me dreads ; speaking of goofy, I bring you fire, doo dee doo, fire !

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Serious Q, which state / area of the US do you call The Peoples Republic.
    Kommifornistan ie California

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not going to spend the three or four hours it would take to cut and paste and then provide a written discussion of the points Mr Wrench claims, compared with the wording of the withdrawal agreement (Yes I have just wasted another two hours reading the referred to articles).

Suffice it to say that it's a good job that Mr Wrench is not actually a practising barrister. His interpretation of the written word seems to be that of someone who sees things filtered through some sort of conspiracy driven paranoia that has no resemblance to what was actually written.
    Mark - I apologise if I wasted your time and stuck that list in good faith.
    I never individually checked it - where I got it from was reputable (in my books although I can't remember where now )
    I read the 585 page WA doc months ago, and can't remember much apart from the overwhelmingly negative LoL moments that I couldn't believe May was trying to push through.
    The guy who wrote it is this guy who works at the EU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post

And then this guy who ran Dover Customs terminal says what he thinks
    YouTube
    £ to a pinch he's a pro Brexit stooge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Millie Small. The song is goofy, she was goofy, it all went together in a very goofy pre-reggae way. There's something about reggae, jah mon, don' be settin' fire to me dreads ; speaking of goofy, I bring you fire, doo dee doo, fire !
    ok, 1964 I was 9 years old and much more in to my motorcycle trials & ISDT heroes (Sammy Miller, the Lampkin clan, Ken Heanes and incomparable John Giles) and my fishing than I ever was any sort of popular culture.

7. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

£ to a pinch he's a pro Brexit stooge.
    I did wonder that, but I've also looked on 3 different forums that ran it and none of the comments have ousted him.
    There's been a few of these type of interviews where the person has quickly been named and outed.
    But I haven't seen this....yet....!

9. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok, 1964 I was 9 years old ...
    Ah. Nine years old. You weren't into girls yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes.
    Thank You re: good advice - Respect Others.

Most here are actually really really smart, and generally quite willing to post responsibly.
    "Hard Rain" is the last thing I want, having suffered 10 generations of it.

Let’s respect is really good advice. I will believe it when I see it.

A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8O7heJ5ILvM
    [/QUOTE]

Let's break this 'respect for opinion' thing down a bit.

Does everyone have a right to their own opinion? Yes.

Does everyone have a right to express their opinion? Qualified yes.

Does everyone have a right to have their opinion respected? Hell, NO.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did wonder that, but I've also looked on 3 different forums that ran it and none of the comments have ousted him.
    There's been a few of these type of interviews where the person has quickly been named and outed.
    But I haven't seen this....yet....!
    But if he's the real deal (big shot customs officer) he say's he is, (and he's a fool if her isn't and would have been outed) then there's nothing to out, - he's doing what he's been told to, because what he said could easily be construed by HM C&E as speaking out of turn ..and you can be as pretty damn sure as can be, that no C&E officer will speak out of turn, simply because they just don't.

The C&E ain't politicians, or police, …….they also have many greater powers than the Police, - like not needing search warrants.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And then this guy who ran Dover Customs terminal says what he thinks
    YouTube
    That's pretty interesting. This is the issue I see with all the talk of food/medicine shortages and other scare stories. When you start trying to pick them apart, they tend to fall apart.

14. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As leaked 1 yr ago, the US would flood the UK with half-price chlorine-washed chicken, as a base of any trade deal including agriculture.

The UK cannot ship any major agri stuff to the US.
    The UK major hard exports are ships and armaments, and the US has more and better of same exports.
    I hear this a lot, but I think it's not quite that true or black and white.

As far as chicken, the UK doesn't have to accept anything. The US can demand whatever it wants, but the UK is the one that has to agree to it. Secondly, why is this a problem with chlorine-washed chicken? First I heard it was the chlorine itself, then it came out that the EU's own food safety reports said this was a non-issue years ago. Then I heard that it wasn't the chlorine, but the fact that using a chlorine dip means the plants themselves are unsanitary. I don't know that that holds weight, either - I've eaten chicken for a long, long time and have yet to have any problems with that. I also worked in a beef plant as one of my first jobs before going off to college, and it was kept very clean. Much cleaner than any house I've been to, plus there were USDA inspectors on the floor. Anyway, what is to say that the UK could/would not implement a certification process as is done with medical devices, for one example? The US does this via the FDA going out and inspecting facilities overseas, although the scope of this I'm not sure. Also, the EU/US have some differing regulations on ag products that make imports/exports tougher, not to mention the tariffs/quotas/subsidies that already distort that.
    A video explaining the differences in egg regulation between the US and EU
    An interesting thing is that all of this same stuff came up with TTIP, which was an FTA between the US and EU. It was worried the EU would give up food safety, so I don't see how now pointing the finger at the UK successfully implies the EU is better.

As far as what could the UK export, this is also more complicated. For one thing, there are extra regulations that impede foreign companies on everything from insurance, banking, all the way to airlines.
    An exhaustive list of EU-US regulatory barriers
    These are regulatory issues and a large part of why trade agreements take so long to negotiate. Arguably, this is more and more what trade negotiations are about today. Tariffs have already been reduced to lower levels globally, and the regulatory barriers imposed can be much greater than a simple 5-15% tariff; they can be what is essentially almost an outright ban. As tariffs have come down, non-tariff barriers have gone up. The UK could also try to get concessions on cabotage laws - like the thing with airlines and how you don't see foreign carriers flying domestic routes, the same is true of domestic sea freight. The UK could also try to get bidding rights on US government contracts, which it would also have the power to only give to itself for its own govt contracts if it ceases to be a member of the EU.
    US procurement rules on rolling stock
    This also plays into defense industry exports - I'm not familiar deeply with the US/UK defense industry, but knowing how large manufacturers are setup, those big names also have many companies that are suppliers. Those UK tier-1/2 defense industry suppliers would then also have easier access to the US market, and access to government contracts. Of course the US would have to agree to all of this, and I'm not saying it's likely.

Something very important that I never hear talked about is the UK being a country via which to better access the US market for the EU. This already happens in other trade agreements - this is why they instate something called "de minimis" and "regional value content" rules, or rules of origin, to try to ensure that the benefits of the agreement mostly go to the signatory countries and not outsiders. However, in practice, even with the rules as set out in NAFTA or, for a more extreme example, the TPP, make it much easier to use the signatory countries as export bases. For example, let's say you're an EU parts manufacturer for some industry and your parts would face at US customs a 5 or 10% tariff if exported directly from the EU. You could export that part to the UK and incorporate it into another part or somehow process/assemble it via rules of origin. It is now a good of UK origin and can take advantage of preferential access granted under the trade agreement. Basically, the UK could have facilities pop up to act as a springboard for EU-US trade, as well as anyone else the UK trades with.

I'm not saying that US-UK trade would go far, far, far higher with an FTA. I'm simply saying that the idea that the UK has nothing to gain and everything to lose is very simplistic and more politically-based than fact-based. The reality is complicated.

16. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The UK major hard exports are ships and armaments, and the US has more and better of same exports.
    This is kinda funny ... BAE is a major "defense industry" player in the US, they've bought out tons of the smaller contractors and plenty of the big ones. Name a major program in the US and they'll probably be in it.

Do you know what the B stands for ?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post

Let's break this 'respect for opinion' thing down a bit.

Does everyone have a right to their own opinion? Yes.

Does everyone have a right to express their opinion? Qualified yes.

Does everyone have a right to have their opinion respected? Hell, NO.

PDW
    Re "Does everyone have a right to have their opinion respected? Hell, NO."

I agree but there's more than one way to not agree or respect the opinion of another.

1. Just think "Is that person serious or just plain stupid?" and don't comment.

2. "Is that person serious?" and make a comment to clarify.

3. Write a post as to why you don't agree with that opinion.

Too many "replies" are just personal insults or insulting for the sake of insulting. Until a law is passed banning stupidity everyone has the right to their opinion and express it no matter how much you disagree with it.

Too often the "discussions" (exchanges) in this sub forum are at kindergarten level rather than adult level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have we left yet?

20. Likes barbter, daredo222, Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Re "Does everyone have a right to have their opinion respected? Hell, NO."

I agree but there's more than one way to not agree or respect the opinion of another.

1. Just think "Is that person serious or just plain stupid?" and don't comment.

2. "Is that person serious?" and make a comment to clarify.

3. Write a post as to why you don't agree with that opinion.

Too many "replies" are just personal insults or insulting for the sake of insulting. Until a law is passed banning stupidity everyone has the right to their opinion and express it no matter how much you disagree with it.

Too often the "discussions" (exchanges) in this sub forum are at kindergarten level rather than adult level.
    Repeat...Mr Pot meet Mr kettle who is black...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture2.jpg   capture1.jpg  

22. Likes Demon73, camscan, daredo222, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Repeat...Mr Pot meet Mr kettle who is black...
    You are a very naughty boy and if you were in England I'd knock your f*ckin' head off.

24. Likes barbter, Demon73, daredo222, Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    You are a very naughty boy and if you were in England I'd knock your f*ckin' head off.
    Come and get me if you think you're tough enough

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    He's not a very naughty boi, he's the messiah.

27. Likes camscan, daredo222 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come and get me if you think you're tough enough
    You seem to forget that because of Brexit I am forbidden to enter continental Europe. (I just made that up).

29. Likes Demon73 liked this post