UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Isn't a happy Scotsman an oxymoron?
    Meahhh... some of the expats are simply oxygen thieves, moron or genius, impartial.

2. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    You've obviously never dealt with Yorkshiremen then.

Regards Tyrone.
    Aye, there be one 'o the rare instances where even the above-the-mark honest Yorkies actually CHEAT. They actually HAVE a bit 'o money to be tight WITH!

The Welsh on the other hand, haven't been allowed coin of the realm since Angles and Saxons twigged to stocky builds and short legged wimmin with pleasantly broad arses built more for comfort than for speed, and put them under suspicion of actually being far too close kin to the Breton FRENCH.

4. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thermites back

6. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    To quote Bill Wirtz (EU politics reporter for France24/Lemonde/Politico/theTimes) -
    The United Kingdom's commitment to peace in Europe gave Luxembourg (my country of origin) its independence, twice in spite of Germany and France, twice in times of war. What happened in Luxembourg today doesn't reflect well on a country that should honour that memory.
    WOW. Wish we had political reporters like that. Ours would use the phrase "commitment to empire and hegemonism" or some such.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5354 barbter
    Yes, the UK PM "welcomed" to the EU by somebody "married" to a man, and about as significant as Owen Jones.
    Yes they lied about the facilities, they have a contingency venue in case of bad weather.
    Search for Luxembourg indoor press conferences, plenty of photos and videos to choose from.
    The one millionth example of bad manners and bad faith from the EUSSR.

Unfortunately GBC is, for the first time in recorded history, wrong [5352?].
    The EU does not want the UK to leave.
    They need our huge financial contribution. Italian banking moribund, two largest German banks soon to be on life support as shares
    drop 95% since c2013, UK employment and wages up in contrast to the EU, etc etc.
    All the doom and gloom threatened before and after the referendum, more lies.
    The other EU states know about UK economic trends, the EU is, correctly, terrified that the UK will not the last Leaver.

The EU are praying that some UK traitors who should have been hung two years ago will somehow stop Brexit.
    No effort, or our money, has been spared by the anti-democrats to avoid the UK leaving.
    Leaving as the electorate were assured we would, several times, by the liars who are still plotting.

The EU hate us, they hate even more that they need us.

**** them.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Me thinks the Luxemboug PM has had a bollocking from his bosses...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

10. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As ever the power of propaganda (only nowadays they call it spin) .........….and how it feeds the minds of those who wish to believe it's take on the given situation.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As ever the power of propaganda (only nowadays they call it spin) .........….and how it feeds the minds of those who wish to believe it's take on the given situation.
    I said it tongue in cheek but if you watch his interview, IMHO his eyes don't match his mouth...

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I said it tongue in cheek but if you watch his interview, IMHO his eyes don't match his mouth...
    Hey, when BJ gets interviewed, his eyes often don't match each other.

14. Likes barbter, Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just read this which underlines London is still the European capital of trading.
    This does make sense because all the investment and job positions advertised last year (more in London than the rest of the EU combined) showed that the city trading was staying. Despite the media bollocks...
    Global daily forex trading at record $6.6 trillion as London extends lead - Reuters
    The idea that all the financial industry is going to move out from the UK and over to Europe is laughable. There was an amazing comment I read in a Financial Times article by a guy who supports remaining and works in a bank in middle office or something like that. He was basically explaining at length that that's not going to happen because of many of the ways EU regulations don't allow things to trade as freely; one thing was about bonds getting haircuts or something like that, another was about regulations on exchanges. Not to mention, the UK's industry for banking has been there for forever now - if it were so simple to just move it across to another country, it would've been done by now. The passporting rights - basically single market regs that allow banks to more freely operate across EU borders - that everyone keeps saying are in question if Britain leaves....they didn't even come around until something like 2006.

There's been some movement, but it's been minor. I think it's hard to argue that London will lose its seat for this without getting into the nitty-gritty of why exactly someone believes that to be the case, which no mainstream media outlet ever does.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One simple reason the City is the centre of finance...trust...built over hundreds of years......and those in the finance industry have long memories of ancestors and relations dispossesed ,imprisoned and killed in the euro states as recently as living memory.....no way the finance sector is moving anywhere.

17. Likes Limy Sami, Trboatworks, barbter liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    One simple reason the City is the centre of finance...trust...built over hundreds of years......and those in the finance industry have long memories of ancestors and relations dispossesed ,imprisoned and killed in the euro states as recently as living memory.....no way the finance sector is moving anywhere.
    "Hundreds of years"?
    What "Euro states" are you referring to?

I think it's more wishful thinking by you than facts.

UK has 11 days to submit new Brexit plan, Finland's PM says

Things will change but nobody knows how much or what.

Do any of the PM Brits even know what BJ is proposing when he "talks" to the EU countries?

I repeat, yet again, why isn't there a parliamentary majority for what the UK is asking the EU to agree on? At least the EU countries would then know what they were dealing with.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post
    That's just one example of how ridiculous your entire post is.

The "EU" is as yet 28 countries and that includes the UK.
    Some EU countries have certainly become less friendly towards the UK with all the time and effort your Brexit mess is causing.

"Hate" isn't realistic but even the most UK friendly countries and their citizens have become pissed off at your antics. I'm one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Amid the turmoil etc etc on this thread about the big EU / South America trade deal was only a draft and had to be ratified, and IIRC got shit for it, ……...well it hasn't - parties from across the political spectrum in Austria among others, have stopped it.

Austria blocks EU-Mercosur trade deal with South America - BBC News

And the chances of South America seeing AND DOING things the EU way? …………...the thick end of nil.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Amid the turmoil etc etc on this thread about the big EU / South America trade deal was only a draft and had to be ratified, and IIRC got shit for it, ……...well it hasn't - parties from across the political spectrum in Austria among others, have stopped it.

And the chances of South America seeing AND DOING things the EU way? …………...the thick end of nil.
    Something else your post and link shows is that the EU isn't always a single entity but in fact 28 countries. I've broached on this before but how often have British EU MPs blocked just one of the things that get pro Brexit crowd so upset?

Off hand the only thing I can think of is that the UK isn't part of the Schengen Agreement.

Schengen Agreement - Wikipedia

22. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post
    Off track but worth a mention?

I've noticed the use of the word "hate" is being used more often by some members.

Is this because of a lack of word vocabulary or is dislike or detest just not enough? Hearing a kid say they hate something is common (even with vegetables) but when adults do the same then we'd better hope they aren't armed and have a fanatical mind set. Certainly not the type of person I'd like having living next door.

When I read the following maybe I read more into the word than is meant.

What is a stronger word for hate?
    abhor, abominate, despise, detest, execrate, loathe. See love noun. Extreme hostility and dislike: abhorrence, abomination, antipathy, aversion, detestation, hatred, horror, loathing, repellence, repellency, repugnance, repugnancy, repulsion, revulsion.

Hmmm I might just be responsible now for getting more descriptive posts written

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This will be interesting going forwards...
    #1 - will the Austrian gov do as the MPs ask and actually veto?
    #2 - if they do, will the new boss (von der Layen) implement the changes she wants to implement, and change to majority only voting (and removing vetos), which may then force this deal through?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post

Do any of the PM Brits even know what BJ is proposing when he "talks" to the EU countries?

I repeat, yet again, why isn't there a parliamentary majority for what the UK is asking the EU to agree on? At least the EU countries would then know what they were dealing with.
    Top trolling from Kolding!
    You've said 5 or 6 times that you didn't care...you're obviously making "political pledges"

Regarding Boris' discussions, #10 has now submitted to the EU its "plans"...
    And this thread seems to be a good overall summing up of what he's been doing Mujtaba Rahman on Twitter: "Is a #Brexit deal possible? We're at 20%. That % has received a lot of flack on Twitter (too high!) but I think it's right - basically a deal is possible, but unlikely. Short thread 1/"

Now, as for a parliamentary majority...there is...they (parliament) voted to leave by initiating A50, and now the majority want to stay.
    We've covered this many times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay, right very serious basic question time.

I've been pondering this question for some time ;-

For all those pro Brexit and strongly anti EU on this thread, ……...how has an EU decision / ruling / detrimentally affected you or yours personally.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Simple. Because there isn't a parliamentary majority to leave in the first place. The something like 70-80% of MPs were for Remain. And those now who say they're "pro-leave" don't make it clear they actually mean that, i.e. May or others. There aren't that many in Paliament that truly want to fully break from the EU. They say there are "many types of Brexit", and I guess that's true to an extent, but it's not as unclear as they make it seem....

During the referendum campaign, it was touted that:

1. They would be able to control immigration - this means you cannot be part of the single market. The EU has explicitly stated you can't do away with free movement and be in. Now maybe they're just saying this and would actually make a carve-out specially for the UK, but let's assume they don't. So that means the Leave vote meant leaving the Single Market.

2. They would negotiate trade agreements with nations freely - this means you cannot be part of the customs union. You need control of your own tariff schedules and individual membership at the WTO to do this. So that means the Leave vote meant leaving the customs union.

3. 350 million a week saved - I don't think it gets any clearer at this point.....

The only way you can really fulfill these things is to do away with EU membership, totally, and enter into an FTA with the EU. Now they've tried to muddy the waters and say this wasn't clear. And thus you get all the larger majority that doesn't agree, buttressed by the fact that the majority of MPs never wanted to leave in the first place.