Page 283 of 329 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,660 of 6577
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Back to the Original Post...

When is the day the bandage(s) get ripped off ?

And...is there a trauma team in place with available blood for xfusion ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    When is the day the bandage(s) get ripped off ?
    The delays so far, and still-yet ahead?

You'd have to mean ROT off, not ripped off.

As to "trauma team"?

Ask short Napoleon Bonaparte or Fat Herman Goering how that movie always plays out.

Arse with the Brits, get your arse britten.

3. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking for Boris in ditches day is still next Thursday. Brexit day is subject to change without notice.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    [Brexit day is subject to change without notice.

Well.. I was about to point to Greenwich Mean Time as a POSSIBLE exception - the only thing NOT "subject to change without notice" anywhere in Blighty..

But then again?

It is the very nature of a TIME standard to be ever and always ticking off change, lest it be totally USELESS, isn't it?

Bore-us gits it done in a few more weeks, or another half-a-year, it will nonetheless be more progress in less time that the mess as came before 'im.

Does he expect any thanks for that? Not really.

US-born or not, he's still a Brit.

Holding low expectations of approval is "standard", yah?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Well.. I was about to point to Greenwich Mean Time as a POSSIBLE exception - the only thing NOT "subject to change without notice" anywhere in Blighty..

But then again?

It is the very nature of a TIME standard to be ever and always ticking off change, lest it be totally USELESS, isn't it?

Bore-us gits it done in a few more weeks, or another half-a-year, it will nonetheless be more progress in less time that the mess as came before 'im.

Does he expect any thanks for that? Not really.

US-born or not, he's still a Brit.

Holding low expectations of approval is "standard", yah?

Whaa ? Damn it speak clearly. I have a hard time sometimes with your posts but I am;trying hard to understand.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Whaa ? Damn it speak clearly. I have a hard time sometimes with your posts but I am;trying hard to understand.
    Just try to escape Florida before it is too late, then.

Statistically, it's becoming North America's per-capita reservoir of senility and Alzheimers, lower-48 and Canada alike!

Kalifornikyah SSR only LOOKS worse off the back of voluntary insanity from childhood, onward. Too instant-gratification impatient to WAIT for old-age.

8. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Getting back to the subject. Brexit officially delayed yet again. Why not get a parliamentary majority before wasting the time of the other 27 EU countries?

If there was a UK parliamentary majority behind a proposed agreement then it would be EU having to decide "yes or no".

This whole mess has been an example on how to f*ck up something that could have been resolved long ago. You Brits have my sympathy when you have to decide who the f*ck to vote for come next election.

Say the word "Brexit" and the result is either laughter or head shaking. There was a time when I thought "Yes minister" and "Yes prime minister" was comedy but it is in fact how things are done in the UK.

YouTube

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the problem you get when you try to (or not) implement the greatest change a country has had for four decades based on a decision that split the vote right down the middle. There is no meaningful majority for deciding either way.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

Kalifornikyah SSR only LOOKS worse off the back of voluntary insanity from childhood, onward. Too instant-gratification impatient to WAIT for old-age.

Yup...theres evan a song to 'splain it:
    YouTube

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    I'm sorry but there is a majority. The original referendum was a straight vote the result of which parliament agreed to abide by.
    We have all heard the arguments about another vote for whatever reason but we had the deciding vote and parliament reneged on that.
    I thought it was only cowboys who spoke with forked tongue,now I'm not so sure.
    A majority that was so narrow (and now possibly reversed) that it did not give good support for changing the status quo. This is entirely why the whole thing has been so divisive and will continue to be so.

PS:- Parliament is sovereign. Not the populace, not the Prime Minister, not any specific political party, not even the Queen. It's very important to understand that principal of our representational democracy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5827 Mark Rand

"A majority that was so narrow (and now possibly reversed) that it did not give good support for changing the status quo.
    This is entirely why the whole thing has been so divisive and will continue to be so.

PS:- Parliament is sovereign. Not the populace, not the Prime Minister, not any specific political party, not even the Queen.
    It's very important to understand that principal of our representational democracy."

Not this again. Total nonsense, as has been explained to you, in monosyllables, several time already in this thread.
    Instead of putting your incorrect beliefs in the bin, you wait until sufficient time has passed, you hope, that we have all forgotten the Remain lies.

"Majority so narrow" Wrong. Majority over one million.
    1979 Welsh referendum, won by c7000 votes, the losers accepted that they had lost, and the result was implemented.
    "did not give good support"
    Nobody disputed the terms of the referendum. The ex post facto "there should have been a xx% majority requirement" and other non-arguments were voiced afterwards.

One vote would have been sufficient.

Brexit: Ex-Labour MP Fiona Onasanya helps Remainer rebels to victory | Daily Mail Online
    Remainiacs were quite content to accept a one vote win in the HoC, which prevented a so called "no deal" Brexit.
    A disgraced, jailed, Labour MP, wearing an electronic tag, breaking the terms of her release, voted, and the Remainiacs were quite happy.

"why the whole thing has been so divisive"
    Nonsense, the Remainiacs lost, so to please them a, totally new process, never adopted before in the UK, was followed.
    The winners of the vote were treated as the losers.
    Well it is the EU way, if you lose, cheat.

"that principal of our representational democracy"
    Principal?
    I have covered this, at great length, in an earlier post.
    The principle, was unambigously described before the referendum, by the then Prime Minister David Cameron.
    Stated in a pro EU booklet delivered to every home in the UK.
    That the vote was a once in a generation occasion, that the wishes of the electorate would be preeminent, and be implemented.
    Nothing anywhere before the referendum about the MPs ignoring the vote.
    No UK political party demurred from this principle before the referendum.

The problem was, still is, kiddies who throw their toys out of the pram,

14. Likes digger doug, barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post
    That's what we see on the TeeVee, reminds me of this little warning:
    YouTube

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    There was a time when I thought "Yes minister" and "Yes prime minister" was comedy but it is in fact how things are done in the UK.
    The UK without any doubt, is ran exactly like yes minister.
    The establishment is what runs the country, and it is plain to see there will not be a Brexit.
    IF Brexit was going to happen, it would have happened in March.

Brino may happen (although I don't think it will) - but that will be a watered down wealth distribution arrangement where Billions still go to Brussels and they have the last say (Boris/May deal).

My money is on an election with 2nd ref and revoke on the ballot paper, and revoke happening.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    I'm sorry but there is a majority. The original referendum was a straight vote the result of which parliament agreed to abide by.
    That it was a "straight vote" was the problem. If the result had been "stay" then that would have been that. It wasn't and it never was a simple "leave". Too many options as to how to leave.

That "leave" got a majority was as much of a surprise to Cameron as Trump winning was to Clinton.

Even after 3 years "leave" hasn't been clarified as to how the UK should leave the EU. Some in favour of a "no deal" and others aren't.

I've never been a big fan of the EU but nevertheless believe being a member has more advantages than disadvantages. If we all live long enough to experience what happens after the UK leaves then I think many in the UK will find the EU wasn't as bad as they thought or had been lead to believe.

18. Likes Tyrone Shoelaces liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    The UK without any doubt, is ran exactly like yes minister.
    The establishment is what runs the country, and it is plain to see there will not be a Brexit.
    IF Brexit was going to happen, it would have happened in March.

Brino may happen (although I don't think it will) - but that will be a watered down wealth distribution arrangement where Billions still go to Brussels and they have the last say (Boris/May deal).

My money is on an election with 2nd ref and revoke on the ballot paper, and revoke happening.
    PPhht.. Problem is.. that while folks have changed sides in the time since, about as many leave have gone remain as remain have gone over to leave - likewise the NEW entrants are split.

So yah gets a fair chance the vote is still damned near equally split and the "losing" side will be making a fuss and obstructing 'whichever' claiming they wuz robbed.

There needs to be a third choice to make the divide more obvious:

A) Remain

B) Leave

C) Pound sand painfully up the public's collective arse at great expense.

..with "pound sand" already the winner on the evidence, far more years than the EU has even existed?

We might want to recall the advice to: "be careful what you wish for".

The only certainty being that either of A or B will automagically get us C as well.

Best we can do, then is eliminate the middleman. Take the abuse, go back to not trifling ourselves as to what Parliament is up to.

They can be trusted to f**k it up, whatever it is. Their rice-bowl, after all, f**kups are.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post
    I have covered this, at great length, in an earlier post.
    The principle, was unambigously described before the referendum, by the then Prime Minister David Cameron.
    Stated in a pro EU booklet delivered to every home in the UK.
    That the vote was a once in a generation occasion, that the wishes of the electorate would be preeminent, and be implemented.
    Nothing anywhere before the referendum about the MPs ignoring the vote.
    No UK political party demurred from this principle before the referendum.

And that's where you don't understand the rules!

The PM and/or any/all of the parties could not make that promise (related here for those who missed it) without enacting legislation to make it binding on Parliament. Mr Cameron did not have the authority to make such a promise without legislation to back it up.

That's what the bit in my last post referred to. Parliament is sovereign, not the PM, not me, not you, not any other group. If your member of Parliament votes in a way you don't agree with, your choice is to elect a different representative next time. But in the mean time, you don't get to change what they enacted.

I think brexit will be a disaster for the UK economy, but I'll accept what Parliament enact. I might/will vote to replace the oxygen thief that allegedly represents my constituency but, given that he's the second generation of that family in the job, I probably won't succeed.

Another PS:- results of the 1979 referendum:-

1979 Welsh devolution referendum
    Do you want the Provisions of the Wales Act 1978 to be put into effect?
    Location Wales
    Date 1 March 1979
    Votes %
    Yes 243,048 20.26%
    No 956,330 79.74%
    Valid votes 1,199,378 99.72%
    Invalid or blank votes 3,309 0.28%
    Total votes 1,202,687 100.00%
    Registered voters/turnout 2,038,048 59.01%

I think you meant the second referendum in 1997 :-

Welsh devolution referendum, 1997
    Do you agree that there should be a Welsh Assembly as proposed by the Government?
    Location Wales
    Date 18 September 1997
    Votes %
    Yes 559,419 50.30%
    No 552,698 49.70%
    Valid votes 1,112,117 99.64%
    Invalid or blank votes 3,999 0.36%
    Total votes 1,116,116 100.00%
    Registered voters/turnout 2,222,533 50.22%

Bloody Welsh, changing their minds, just because they got a second chance to vote. .

Regards
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So Labour is an anti-everything.

Does not want brexit, but does not want an election to vote the tories out so Brexit can be stopped once and for all.

And of course the Franco German alliance votes for an extension. Must need that UK money to prop up Europe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I've never been a big fan of the EU but nevertheless believe being a member has more advantages than disadvantages.
    Yea but all the rich people think it is wonderful.

It is the old, everyone is equal in the EU, but some are more equal then others.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    Yea but all the rich people think it is wonderful.

It is the old, everyone is equal in the EU, but some are more equal then others.
    It isn't just rich or poor, powerful or not. As one of MANY retirees or about-to-be, travel and residence, easy acess to health-care tilts us toward "remain".

But I didn't vote, nor will I. I've never really NOT been an "expat" nor lived and worked even a full 12 months in a row WITHIN Blighty, proper.

My family "convenience" should NOT carry the same weight as folks who have fewer options and most of all - still have to work HARD to earn their own crust.

Which then evolves to "work in which segment of the economy" or even which EMPLOYER within a segment, how much flexibility - if any - one has, and for how many productive years.

Is there 'one right answer?'

Maybe. Just not a practical one.

Let each individual PERSON decide if THEY are "in" or "out", much as they choose a religion.. or.. these days.. one of forty-leben or so sexual "identify-as" persuasions?

Come to think of it?

If we can handle the sexual complexity and the religion thing?

Card-carrying ID as EU or NOT, taxes at point-of-sale in keeping might be no more hassle than whether one has a retailer's discount card or a monthly London Transport pass, zoned, active-duty military temporarily stationed, international staff on secondment...

Same-again in Commerce.

A firm is either of UK or EU, paperwork according, or has one or more bespoke divisions-within that are.

Not new.

Seriously. Business handles this sort of stuff every hour of the day in global trade. We wouldn't even need very many new FORMS or training for it - already dealing with 3 to 60 OTHER countries.

"Individual Mandate", and "free port zones" anyone?

24. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They (the UK) could have left the EU on the first exit day set after article 50. Then they discovered nobody wanted to take the blame if things went really wrong for the UK after leaving and now it all became a race for the best "DEAL". That is where it still stands today. The EU had said all along:"There will be no raisin picking". Where in hell was there ever a paragraph written making it mandatory for a leaving member to be given a "DEAL" when departing the EU? Anybody?
    Still time, and as I said before there is still a chance that one or more members of the EU 27 will cave in. That is why the UK will keep pushing for more time again and again.