Login to Your Account
Page 285 of 326 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,700 of 6506
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe VW have learned to get clear of selling into areas where the governments are likley to penalize them for a bit of black smoke,and sell into all the Islamic areas,where cars dont need to be emissions compliant just able to take a direct hit from an RPG and keep going ,with a bit more ventilation.

2. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    For-sure their leaders, be they Pasha's, Generals, nor Poly-stitchmens never gave a rat's empennage how many casualties they stood, nor how many of their populace were impoverished.

See any shortage of that position out there in that part of the world?

I rather suspect DJT will take a serious hit over all of it, short-term, but.. "get real"?

You really want to mess up the rest of the next century or several for OTHERS, brewing up a stew that puts Assad+Putin in between Turks and Kurds, Daesh harming anything that they can reach, the EU worried-helpless?

You'd do exactly what DJT just did.

Much the same as tossing rats, cats, dogs, snakes, beggars, and resource-shortages into the same burlap sack, then cutting-off their food, water, oil, ammo, and money whilst they screw with each other until they run short of... most everything but hatred, actually.

Middle EAST? Hatred is coin of the realm. A food and water substitute, even.

Media and pompous-arse retired military "experts" howl:

"<side(s)> are the winners because the USA pulled out!"

Surely. But WHAT did they just "win"?

"Won" the privilege to screw themselves and bankrupt each other until we get tired?

Artillery Lends Dignity Print Signed by Artist - USFAA

DJT is a New Yorker.

A New Yorker saying "Trust me!" doesn't always mean "F**k you!".
    They can move faster than that. The proverbial "New York Minute".

It really means "I've screwed you TWICE already and you haven't yet noticed. Why would I waste time on a THIRD go when there are others more entertaining that I haven't even screwed ONCE, yet?"

Trying to wrap my head around this post, some questions:
    1. You don't agree with what DJT did by pulling the troops out ?
    2. How about help for the Kurds ? Seems everyone (other than DJT) is professing that the USA should "go back in".

3. Recall when DJT pulled the troops out, he warned Turkey to "play nice" or he would "ruin your economy", so the tariffs he just enacted (IIRC 50% on steel imports from turkey) is a good thing ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Trying to wrap my head around this post, some questions:
    1. You don't agree with what DJT did by pulling the troops out ?
    2. How about help for the Kurds ? Seems everyone (other than DJT) is professing that the USA should "go back in".

3. Recall when DJT pulled the troops out, he warned Turkey to "play nice" or he would "ruin your economy", so the tariffs he just enacted (IIRC 50% on steel imports from turkey) is a good thing ?
    D'you know what his "real" goals are?

Kurds and Turks have been hammering each other for a VERY long time, and the Kurds are still "several somewheres". IN Turkey, included. They will still be.

US / NATO Combat aircraft software & avionics, 50-odd "dial a yield" nukes "landlocked" at Incirlik, and what it might take for "regime change" in Turkey instead of Syria might be on his dance-card, yah think?

Mussolini thought he had a powerful economy and impressive armed forces.

Until he had to face real ones of each.

Wait and see.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    This is the one thing that makes zero sense to me. If it's such a big issue, then why are the UN and NATO members not voting to take military action? Why is it only the US that should do this and act unilaterally? They talk up "work with your allies", yet I only see allies expecting us to do a bunch of work they usually say we should never do (get involved policing the world).

Time to step up to the plate, or shut up because if those don't even think it's worth doing themselves, then those saying this have no ground to stand on saying what we should do ourselves.

6. Likes CAMasochism liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People speak of "The Kurds" as if they are some kind of monolithic identity. They aren't.

We have long supported the Iraqi Kurds- known today as the KDP. These are the people in Northern Iraq that Saddam gassed. They are not in conflict with Turkey, and Turkey has actually defended them against the PKK, which are Marxist Kurds in Turkey. The US has designated the PKK as a terrorist entity.

The YPG is the Kurdish group in Syria. They are known as the Syrian wing of the PKK by the Western countries. We helped them to fight ISIS in Syria- "the enemy of my enemy". Once ISIS was defeated, the YPG and PKK turned their focus back to Turkey. This causes a problem for us, for the obvious reasons.

The west is *somewhat* ideologically aligned with the KDP. We are not ideologically aligned with the PKK and the YPG. We supported the YPG as long as the ISIS threat existed- and we re-named them to the SDF- "Syrian Democratic Forces", so it sounded politically palatable.

The reason the YPG did not align with Assad earlier was because our policy was regime change in Syria. As long as the YPG opposed Assad, we'd support them against ISIS.

When Russia and Iran stepped in to prop up Assad, the regime change policy was effectively over. With Assad firmly in power, the caliphate defeated, and continued US protection, the YPG were free to turn their attention back to destabilizing southern Turkey.

It's a quagmire that began with the Arab Spring uprisings and our policy of regime change in Syria. We encouraged any group in Syria, whether is be al Nusra or the so-called "FSA"- our only requirement was that they were committed to overthrowing Assad.

But we failed. If Putin thinks he can mediate a peace between Turkey, Assad, and the Kurdish factions in Syria and Turkey- let him try. We sure haven't had any success doing that, and I'm okay handing over the Gordian knot for Putin to untie.

I don't know how it will all sort out but I suspect we can come back in 5 years and nothing will have changed...
    Last edited by jancollc; 10-16-2019 at 05:23 PM.

8. Likes daredo222, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyc123 View Post
    This is the one thing that makes zero sense to me. If it's such a big issue, then why are the UN and NATO members not voting to take military action? Why is it only the US that should do this and act unilaterally? They talk up "work with your allies", yet I only see allies expecting us to do a bunch of work they usually say we should never do (get involved policing the world).

Time to step up to the plate, or shut up because if those don't even think it's worth doing themselves, then those saying this have no ground to stand on saying what we should do ourselves.
    Yup, you bring up a good point.

Trump knows the taxpayers are tired of war, and he's also showing how slow
    (committee driven decisions) and how lacking NATO is.

Sort of playing poker with this.

Unfortunately, blood is spilling.

10. Likes nyc123, daredo222 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I don't know how it will all sort out but I suspect we can come back in 5 years and nothing will have changed...
    Nice concise observation, kudos on a job well-done.

One typo, though:

As Reads:

"..we can come back in 5 years and nothing will have changed..."

Is Amended To Read:

"..we can come back in 500 years and nothing will have changed...

It wasn't actually "ever thus", but events around 610 AD set various cats amongst various pigeons who hadn't been exactly the best of friends to begin with, the previous 8,000 years. That we know of.

Humans.

God must have had sore-lousy daytime TV, or she would not have made 'em self-replicating.

12. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've just be watching on the TV news how the Russians have stepped right into the power vacuum the the " Strategicaly Brilliant " President ( his words,not mine ) has left in Syria. Really neighbourly of the US militaty to leave the bases untouched so the Russkies will feel right at home.

If that's an example of strategic brilliance I wouldn't like to see a strategic fuck up.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the biggest poll since the referendum so a big shout-out to all the little Englanders out there - Brexit more popular than ever
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

15. Likes ManicMetalBasher liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I've just be watching on the TV news how the Russians have stepped right into the power vacuum the the " Strategicaly Brilliant " President ( his words,not mine ) has left in Syria. Really neighbourly of the US militaty to leave the bases untouched so the Russkies will feel right at home.

If that's an example of strategic brilliance I wouldn't like to see a strategic fuck up.

Regards Tyrone.
    Talking of the Ruskies... this thread is worth a read...
    Alberto Nardelli on Twitter: "We have obtained a secret audio recording of a Moscow meeting between three Russian operatives and a close aide to Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini negotiating a plan to pump money from a Russian oil deal into Salvini’s far-right Lega party

https://t.co/Qdwx8rO7BD"

17. Likes ManicMetalBasher liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post

Regards Tyrone.
    F**k Syria. Created their own damned problems, long ago. Not my job to fix what they would NOT fix, is it?

Only "power vacuum" I give a damn about is in the bank account, taxes don't stop climbing the very walls.

"wouldn't like" or not, the strategic fuck up is already "in your face" as well.

Not only that Russia occupied the bases, but that they are even still bleeding lives, materiel, credibility, and money in Syria they can FAR less afford AT ALL.

Got theyselves a "warm water port" and outside of the Dardenelles, yet?
    BFD. Can't keep the few rusting ships they can't even still afford as might NEED any sort of a port operational, even part-time. Piss-off the Turks, their "Black Sea Fleet" may as well be in with Putin's rubber duckies in a Czarist-era bathtub.

Various EU members minimizing their own involvement in that perpetual Syrian cluster-fuck was actually one of the wiser things they've done, lately. Even if it might have been by fortuitous accident.

Which I doubt it was. They'd "seen this movie" even before the Yew Ass Ay was old enough to be allowed into "R" rated cinema. Or had even been "discovered", actually.

Didja miss it the Daesh & c. called us "crusaders"? Long memories. Longer wars. 610 AD or so and before as well as since.

Trump just might be cheating and actually reading hist'ry books?

Nah. Too lazy if not also too distracted.

Someone else who knows THEIR shit is reading them FOR him? Bigger surprise he actually pays attention? Branded him a cheat? Why would he not turn that skill to advantage?

That's good enough at "brilliant" for now.

May not be accepting a paycheck, but he still knows whom he is working for, and it ain't no congenitally rowdy Middle-Eater-ners.

19. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "..we can come back in 500 years and nothing will have changed...
    Right on. I was gonna say a hundred years but you beat me to it. And 500 years still isn't hyperbole.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    This is the biggest poll since the referendum so a big shout-out to all the little Englanders out there - Brexit more popular than ever
    A somewhat more nuanced analysis here:- Have UK voters changed their minds on Brexit? - BBC News

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Right on. I was gonna say a hundred years but you beat me to it. And 500 years still isn't hyperbole.
    So whaddid Muhammad DOO, between the gospels of Mecca and of Medina? Polished the turd of his criminal conspiracy to make it more attractive to the failures of this Earth - never in shortage - is what he did.

Join us, be granted the right to tax, rape, loot, enslave and murder.

Resist us, become taxed, raped, impoverished, enslaved, and murdered.

Idea must have serious-wide appeal and enduring long legs to it, yah?

Sounds just like any recent looter-culture AKA "Democratic Party" Convention or "de bait".

"Join us, be granted...." etc.

Last edited by thermite; 10-16-2019 at 07:55 PM.

23. Likes adh2000 liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    A somewhat more nuanced analysis here:- Have UK voters changed their minds on Brexit? - BBC News
    Ewwwww...Brussels Broadcasting Corporation.
    I don't read that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Ewwwww...Brussels Broadcasting Corporation.
    I don't read that.
    LOL! yah. Surely.

"Nuanced" as if my 75-yr-old baldheaded and bearded lard-ass were to swap 12-wide steel-toads for high heels, put on lipstick and a bikini to go try and peddle.. welll ... prolly not a push-bike?

No Fine WAY! If only 'coz I'd STARVE at it for lack of fully committing my ass to the effort!

Gots to know yer limitations...

26. Likes adh2000, barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5685 jancollc

Do not produce verifiable facts, it disturbs the natives.

#5693 Mark Rand
    "A somewhat more nuanced analysis here:- Have UK voters changed their minds on Brexit? - BBC News"
    The BBC, the days when the BBC was "The World's Most Trusted Broadcaster" ended decades ago.
    The author of your link is an expert.

The first poll which is analysed has five options.
    Leave with no deal - Actually leave.
    Leave with Theresa May's Deal - Remain in the EU.
    Leave but remain in single market/customs union - Remain in the EU.
    Remain in EU/Revoke article 50 - Remain in the EU.
    Don't know - I will probably not vote.

This just another version of the rigged second referendum which the anti-democrats have been proposing.

Whereas :-
    Brexit news: Poll shows 54% support for ‘Leave’ – ruining Remainer claims | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Deal just announced, to be continued maybe.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post

Deal just announced, to be continued maybe.
    Waddumean Maybe?!?!?!
    You been asleep for 3 years - there's plenty more to run yet

I can't find what his "deal" is, except that the customs border is running down the Irish Sea... DUP unhappy, as they have no say for at least 8 years...

Whether we are in control of our fishing rights, can make our own trade deals, out the single market, end of ECJ, NO MORE SENDING VASTE SUMS OF MONEY TO THE EU as per the Cons manifesto, we'll have to wait and see

The twitter talk (FWIW) is the EU want an end to it all, so look to NOT approve any further extension.
    So that leaves parliament to vote to agree this "deal", revoke A50, or exit with no deal.

Plenty of continued mileage left yet letting the show roll on
    #GBFA

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are those DUP people retarded?

They want a brexit, but if they vote the deal down, the brexit will fail and they will stay in the EU for a long long time and eventually be servants to Europe.

Well parts of Europe have always wanted to control the UK.

If brexit goes through, down the track they can change any deal reached. It is called playing the long game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Maybe"
    I was referring to my unfinished critique of the poll adduced my Mark.
    On the grounds that it now probably irrelevant.
    Waiting to see the details of the "deal", without too much hope.
    MMB