Blast from the past - Brexit - Page 288
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 288 of 303 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298 ... LastLast
Results 5,741 to 5,760 of 6057
  1. #5741
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1856
    Likes (Received)
    1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Wow I notice there are riots in Barcelona. That is not covered much over here. That we have the political circus going on not much else gains much attention. I hope you fellow members are safe and sound.

    Independence for Catalonia now I am interested in the whole history.
    Han maybe better informed than me on this, as he is further up the coast and nearer to the aggro.
    In talking to a couple of people from the area, they (Catalan) want independence from Spain because they are a wealthy area, and are pissed off of their money (taxes) being sucked out the area and given to Madrid and either wasted, or transferred throughout the rest of Spain.

    Catalonia trial: Supreme Court finds jailed Catalan secession leaders guilty of sedition | In English | EL PAIS

  2. #5742
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk England
    Posts
    2,189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2555
    Likes (Received)
    1623

    Default

    Pissed off with their money being sucked out of the area?
    Where have I heard that before?

  3. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
  4. #5743
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    239
    Likes (Received)
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Han maybe better informed than me on this, as he is further up the coast and nearer to the aggro.
    In talking to a couple of people from the area, they (Catalan) want independence from Spain because they are a wealthy area, and are pissed off of their money (taxes) being sucked out the area and given to Madrid and either wasted, or transferred throughout the rest of Spain.

    Catalonia trial: Supreme Court finds jailed Catalan secession leaders guilty of sedition | In English | EL PAIS
    Han does not talk much about where he lives specifically. He has not mentioned this movement and more often focuses on dissing the US. He spends no time on anything that is of major concern to the world where he would refrain from dissing or blaming the US.

    I do not think anyone can deny this observation. Sure I don’t mind him in the spotlight for a change. It is only fair. Whether he can be objective and refrain from his engrained superiority. I therefore would like to see to believe that once he can be reasonable and objective.

  5. #5744
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1856
    Likes (Received)
    1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Pissed off with their money being sucked out of the area?
    Where have I heard that before?
    By Jove!
    I think you're onto something...

  6. #5745
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk England
    Posts
    2,189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2555
    Likes (Received)
    1623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    By Jove!
    I think you're onto something...
    Not for much longer so I am informed by the poisoned dwarf. More power to her elbow.

  7. #5746
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1856
    Likes (Received)
    1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Not for much longer so I am informed by the poisoned dwarf. More power to her elbow.
    Talking of vertically challenged...
    We thought Boris was a fool, but Macron doesn't...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

  8. #5747
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,848
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Talking of vertically challenged...
    We thought Boris was a fool, but Macron doesn't...
    Ermmm... "not take him seriously are wrong"..

    Folks are as well advised to take an STD infection, infestation of roundworms, or third-degree burns "seriously" as well,.... so... keep in mind the source?


  9. #5748
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    barcelona, spain
    Posts
    2,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    530
    Likes (Received)
    1431

    Default

    There is zero reality to the catalan demands.
    They are mostly people who "think" that their money is being taken by madrid, despite the fact that the current economic data shows this is not so.

    Most demonstrators are people who do not work for themselves.
    Government functionaries, people on pension, unemployed, student radicals, perhaps == 70% of the group.
    They "think" that their gov. salaries and pensions should increase, and
    they should not pay back the catalan national debt, == 105%/GDP,
    (which funded the state pensions),

    ... and think the magic money fairy should continue to pay for the air-corridors, national defense, national trade, ports, railways, etc. that all the catalan product travels on and all the rich tourists travel on to bring free fresh money to barcelona.

    8M rich tourists /yr to Barcelona, circa 5 M ppl popula in catalunya.

    The eejit demonstrators have wrecked the international investments to Barcelona.
    Reduction of about 70-80% in 3 years.
    Obviously, the rich new international investments (google 5000 people iirc), wont now happen in the future and the pensions/services for the popula go down and the taxes go up, unless a magic money tree is found.

    --
    Huge rally today, general strike in all the catalan region.
    The rallies were perhaps 500k people.

    Later = 19:00 hrs and on, barricades and burning trashcans, and agitators throwing rocks at the armed local police, Mossos de Esquadra, a semi-military policy in charge in catalunya.

    It´s worthwhile noting, for US people, that with violent rioting and ongoing combat in the streets, the police have not really fired guns, in 5 nights, and zero people have been killed by perhaps 5000 deployed police in multiple large-scale riots.
    21 rounds were reported fired by police by thursday, over 4 days, total, zero fatalities.

    The ongoing semi-violent riots, for 5th night this week, are mostly run by hundreds of agitators, not thousands or tens of thousands.
    Real-time video online, free.
    Yli puoli miljoonaa ihmista keraantynyt osoittamaan mieltaan Barcelonaan – yleislakko on sulkenut kauppoja, nahtavyyksia ja teita - Ulkomaat - Ilta-Sanomat
    If You scroll down the page real-time TV of the rioting is broadcast.

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Han maybe better informed than me on this, as he is further up the coast and nearer to the aggro.

    In talking to a couple of people from the area, they (Catalan) want independence from Spain because they are a wealthy area, and are pissed off of their money (taxes) being sucked out the area and given to Madrid and either wasted, or transferred throughout the rest of Spain.

    Catalonia trial: Supreme Court finds jailed Catalan secession leaders guilty of sedition | In English | EL PAIS

  10. Likes barbter liked this post
  11. #5749
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    239
    Likes (Received)
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    There is zero reality to the catalan demands.
    They are mostly people who "think" that their money is being taken by madrid, despite the fact that the current economic data shows this is not so.

    Most demonstrators are people who do not work for themselves.
    Government functionaries, people on pension, unemployed, student radicals, perhaps == 70% of the group.
    They "think" that their gov. salaries and pensions should increase, and
    they should not pay back the catalan national debt, == 105%/GDP,
    (which funded the state pensions),

    ... and think the magic money fairy should continue to pay for the air-corridors, national defense, national trade, ports, railways, etc. that all the catalan product travels on and all the rich tourists travel on to bring free fresh money to barcelona.

    8M rich tourists /yr to Barcelona, circa 5 M ppl popula in catalunya.

    The eejit demonstrators have wrecked the international investments to Barcelona.
    Reduction of about 70-80% in 3 years.
    Obviously, the rich new international investments (google 5000 people iirc), wont now happen in the future and the pensions/services for the popula go down and the taxes go up, unless a magic money tree is found.

    --
    Huge rally today, general strike in all the catalan region.
    The rallies were perhaps 500k people.

    Later = 19:00 hrs and on, barricades and burning trashcans, and agitators throwing rocks at the armed local police, Mossos de Esquadra, a semi-military policy in charge in catalunya.

    It´s worthwhile noting, for US people, that with violent rioting and ongoing combat in the streets, the police have not really fired guns, in 5 nights, and zero people have been killed by perhaps 5000 deployed police in multiple large-scale riots.
    21 rounds were reported fired by police by thursday, over 4 days, total, zero fatalities.

    The ongoing semi-violent riots, for 5th night this week, are mostly run by hundreds of agitators, not thousands or tens of thousands.
    Real-time video online, free.
    Yli puoli miljoonaa ihmista keraantynyt osoittamaan mieltaan Barcelonaan – yleislakko on sulkenut kauppoja, nahtavyyksia ja teita - Ulkomaat - Ilta-Sanomat
    If You scroll down the page real-time TV of the rioting is broadcast.
    That is nice that no one has been shot Han. Is this breakdown of her do goods doing the rioting and protests correct?

    Do you think Americans commonly whip out their firearms and start shooting when protests happen? I had seen in the past that in Spain the unemployed there at one time was very high. That might create some people who are unemployed and poor. I doubt seriously anyone can live well of any government benefits.

    Seems there are a lot of protests going on in France, Lebanon, and probably some other places. Regardless I hope you are safe and since some people want to have their own country that you are armed. Keep safe.

  12. #5750
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Midlands UK
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    288
    Likes (Received)
    510

    Default

    *
    My comments begin, and end, with an asteriask.
    "Well, Watson", said Holmes "We have identified the guilty, it is now a matter of persuading Inspectors NoDick-Lestrade or PronounUgly-Cooke
    to act on our evidence. To date himhertheywehesheit hashave tried to to ignore the evidence."
    "Look at this Holmes" said Watson, passing a sheaf of paper to his friend.
    Holmes read aloud the first page "The curious case of the self-igniting church. By Arthur Conan Doyle."
    *

    2019-10-16
    Woman in court over alleged ISIS plot to bomb St Paul's Cathedral | Daily Mail Online
    Safiyya Amira Shaikh ... preparation of terrorist acts and dissemination of terrorist publications.

    2019-04-16
    875 Christian Churches Vandalized in France Since 2018
    ... about 875 Christian churches have been vandalized by radicals in France since 2018.
    ... torched, spray-painted, had feces smeared on doors and walls, and had windows broken by radical secularists and Muslims ...

    2019-04-19
    European Churches: Vandalized, Defecated On, and Torched "Every Day" - Geller Report News
    European Churches: Vandalized, Defecated On, and Torched "Every Day"

    “Hardly anyone writes and speaks about the increasing attacks on Christian symbols.
    There is an eloquent silence in both France and Germany about the scandal of the desecrations and the origin of the perpetrators….
    Not a word, not even the slightest hint that could in anyway lead to the suspicion of migrants…
    It is not the perpetrators who are in danger of being ostracized, but those who dare to associate the desecration of Christian symbols
    with immigrant imports. They are accused of hatred, hate speech and racism.”

    *
    The previous quotation explains it all to every one not determined to ignore it.
    Those who publicise the attacks are blamed, or the victims if there are any, not the culprits!
    The authorities supress the news wherever they can!
    Where the authorities are unable to supress the news, extenuating circumstances are invented to excuse the event, "mental health"
    being a favourite!
    I predict that the response to this post will be the same, outrage, the events have ocurred because I reported them.
    I wonder where this epidemic of church spontaneous combustion started.
    I wonder if there are any other incidents which are being supressed, where victims are blamed ...
    *

    2013-08-16
    Coptic churches burn amid violence in Egypt | Egyptian Streets
    In cities across Egypt, from Sohag and Minya to Cairo and Assiut, Islamists took to the streets attacking churches ...

    2014-06-16
    Iraqi Christian church burnings confirmed by EU delegation - Iraqi News
    ... EuropeanUnion Delegation in Iraq confirmed that ISIL burned several churches in Mosul.

    *
    Supression of news, blaming of victims, blaming of whistleblowers, excusing the perpetrators, where have we heard this before?
    I remember now, the case of the invisible, c200,000 female, European, children, who gang raped themselves.
    Add blaming of the parents whose children were raped by the paedophiles.

    Search "Europeans expect authorities to ignore Muslim rapes"
    "Europe: Muslim Atrocities against Women? So What!
    Muslim Rape Epidemic in Sweden and Norway - Authorities ...
    Europe’s Rape Epidemic: Western Women Will Be Sacrificed ...
    Norwegian Authorities Still Covering Up Muslim Rapes"
    As many more as you can stand also available.
    You will notice that I do not provide links to the reports or quotations from them, because my IP (thank you Vodafone) blocks my access!
    *

    *
    Electoral Fraud in the UK. This is ocurring and the usual suspects are to blame, but I am too tired to demonstrate this.
    DIY.
    When a leader attempts to protect the population from events such as those described above (Trump, Orban) they are denounced by the same people who imported the problem! The same people, in the UK, who are trying to block Brexit.
    DIY, again, blocked by Vodafone, again.

    Meanwhile the enlightened Tyrone, Rand, Sami et al, blame Boris Johnson!
    *

  13. #5751
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    4,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2514
    Likes (Received)
    2311

    Default

    So, one can read the news and carefully select only those items that support a particular, extremist, view of the world, whilst ignoring all those that present a wider or different interpretation. Well done!

    Apropos of nothing in particular, one should note that in the House of Commons, over the last year or two, most of the attacks have been 'blue on blue'*

    *Translation for USA folks:- like 'Red on red', or 'GOP on GOP' attacks in Congress.

  14. Likes Trueturning liked this post
  15. #5752
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    239
    Likes (Received)
    71

    Default

    Today is a big day for you guys. Whatever happens I trust things will be good. I am pretty sure that y’all would not want to trade politics for a while so we can all have a break.

  16. #5753
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland- USA
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1933
    Likes (Received)
    2137

    Default

    Well Boris has grown on me- that affable air... I am easy though and can't hold every grudge forever....
    I am looking for a surprise out of weekend.
    I think the deal passes.

  17. #5754
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1856
    Likes (Received)
    1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Today is a big day for you guys. Whatever happens I trust things will be good. I am pretty sure that y’all would not want to trade politics for a while so we can all have a break.
    Whatever happens, this is only the beginning...

  18. #5755
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1856
    Likes (Received)
    1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    So, one can read the news and carefully select only those items that support a particular, extremist, view of the world...
    To be fair and balanced to this point, you don't have to be *that careful* in selection, as there's an awful lot of it to chose from...

  19. #5756
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    4,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2514
    Likes (Received)
    2311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    To be fair and balanced to this point, you don't have to be *that careful* in selection, as there's an awful lot of it to chose from...
    Aye, but it might be slightly more balanced to include attacks on mosques, synagogues, refugee camps etc, and university dons sexually harassing students, police shooting innocent black people etc. and so forth. Rather than just picking one specific flavour of outrage.

    Otherwise, it gives the impression that the author of the post has an axe to grind.

  20. #5757
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk England
    Posts
    2,189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2555
    Likes (Received)
    1623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Aye, but it might be slightly more balanced to include attacks on mosques, synagogues, refugee camps etc, and university dons sexually harassing students, police shooting innocent black people etc. and so forth. Rather than just picking one specific flavour of outrage.

    Otherwise, it gives the impression that the author of the post has an axe to grind.
    Police shooting any black people? I haven't seen that one.

  21. #5758
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    4,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2514
    Likes (Received)
    2311

    Default

    That'd be in the United States of North America...

  22. #5759
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    barcelona, spain
    Posts
    2,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    530
    Likes (Received)
    1431

    Default

    No, I don´t think americans start shooting, much, in riots.

    My point was that the police here are very restrained in use of firearms, and that this is a good thing.
    They also used rubber bullets, but very sparingly.
    Iirc 200+ rounds total over 4 days.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post

    Do you think Americans commonly whip out their firearms and start shooting when protests happen?

  23. #5760
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    239
    Likes (Received)
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    No, I don´t think americans start shooting, much, in riots.

    My point was that the police here are very restrained in use of firearms, and that this is a good thing.
    They also used rubber bullets, but very sparingly.
    Iirc 200+ rounds total over 4 days.
    I read they had a foam bullet that they use. Here the police double check before arriving to be sure civilians have not already started shooting first.

    500,000 protestors the article said and factories closed. Is there really that many people and did your outfit manage to keep working? With that much if it were here I would be in my castle and forget about driving through that.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •