Login to Your Account
Page 308 of 308 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308
Results 6,141 to 6,157 of 6157
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "Balfour declaration " was one of the conditions of a line of credit that enabled Britain to finance the war beyond June 1916.The Somme offensive was the first operation using that money.The Boche cost the Palestinians their homeland,not Britain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many seem to forget that "might is right" is still just as valid today as it was a thousand years ago.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    Many seem to forget that "might is right" is still just as valid today as it was a thousand years ago.
    There's also an ancient isolated gene-pool tribal factor as predates either of the gospel of Mecca or of Medina. Islam didn't INVENT consanguinity and its debilitating effects on the demographics of a family, clan, or tribe. They inherited it.

Hebraic peoples, also often isolated into small gene pools, have historically taken steps to reduce the effects. Imperfectly, but at least they made it a priority.

Too many generations to count, Arabic peoples have prioritized retention of water rights, land rights, other forms of wealth within a "family". First-cousin to first cousin and Uncle-niece marriages ruled for eons. Hard to implement effective agreements with such folks, political, religious, or any other kind with "honour killing" mind-sets.

Check the data.

Saudi Arabia meant to apply oil wealth to improve the overall health of the kingdom's populace? Ended up the statistical model for consanguinity disorders.

And they are NOT the worst. Only the most accurately documented. Among early casualties of too-close family formation? One gets volatile personality disorders.
    Hard-Wired. Long since.

One supposes chronic disagreement is a balance-wheel that encourages separation and diaspora? Only they cannot and will not disperse.

Now what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    There's also an ancient isolated gene-pool tribal factor as predates either of the gospel of Mecca or of Medina. Islam didn't INVENT consanguinity and its debilitating effects on the demographics of a family, clan, or tribe. They inherited it.

Hebraic peoples, also often isolated into small gene pools, have historically taken steps to reduce the effects. Imperfectly, but at least they made it a priority.

Too many generations to count, Arabic peoples have prioritized retention of water rights, land rights, other forms of wealth within a "family". First-cousin to first cousin and Uncle-niece marriages ruled for eons. Hard to implement effective agreements with such folks, political, religious, or any other kind with "honour killing" mind-sets.

Check the data.

Saudi Arabia meant to apply oil wealth to improve the overall health of the kingdom's populace? Ended up the statistical model for consanguinity disorders.

And they are NOT the worst. Only the most accurately documented. Among early casualties of too-close family formation? One gets volatile personality disorders.
    Hard-Wired. Long since.

One supposes chronic disagreement is a balance-wheel that encourages separation and diaspora? Only they cannot and will not disperse.

Now what?
    Ever read Larry Niven's sci-fi books? What happened to the kzinti?

Fiction, sure, but.......

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    No, not for a minute. Have you ever read " The Daily Mail "? Cancer in print.

Regards Tyrone.
    I think that you are a Labour voter,have always been and will always be.
    That is a very blinkered way to look at things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Perhaps. But is it always wise for the sheep to vote in the butcher?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not really matey. I've been a working man all my life. I saw today that " The Tories have raked in, largely from 6 billionaires, £5.6 million - 26 more times than the Labour Party have managed ". Do you ever ask yourself why that is ? Why these philanthropic gents see the Tory Party as a charity needing their support ? Of course they won't be expecting anything in return for this act of kindness will they ? Maybe just a game of tennis with Boris.

Regards Tyrone.

8. Likes Mark Rand, Gordon B. Clarke, Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not really matey. I've been a working man all my life. I saw today that " The Tories have raked in, largely from 6 billionaires, £5.6 million - 26 more times than the Labour Party have managed ". Do you ever ask yourself why that is ? Why these philanthropic gents see the Tory Party as a charity needing their support ? Of course they won't be expecting anything in return for this act of kindness will they ? Maybe just a game of tennis with Boris.

Regards Tyrone.
    Or perhaps they would just like to see Labour not get in again. Perhaps they think that their donations are another way of protecting their investments. Perhaps they are worried that the pot will be empty again at the end of the Labour term. Perhaps they want to ensure that Boris sells the NHS to America. Perhaps they just want to keep a prize prat and his right hand man out of office.
    I think that the best expression I have heard recently is "Abacus Abbot". That sums up so much of what is wrong with Len McCluskey's Labour party. Sorry,this computer has predictive text,it should read Jeremy Corbyn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or perhaps they would just like to see Labour not get in again. Perhaps they think that their donations are another way of protecting their investments. Perhaps they are worried that the pot will be empty again at the end of the Labour term. Perhaps they want to ensure that Boris sells the NHS to America. Perhaps they just want to keep a prize prat and his right hand man out of office.
    I think that the best expression I have heard recently is "Abacus Abbot". That sums up so much of what is wrong with Len McCluskey's Labour party. Sorry,this computer has predictive text,it should read Jeremy Corbyn.
    A Doctor writes -

Dear Worried of Norfolk, you appear to be suffering from " Learned Helplessness " - basically a condition that can effect individuals or groups of people that have become conditioned to expect or or experience negative results in certain life situations. Sufferers become so used to the negative results that they don't try and change their behaviour even when there are obvious ways they could improve their condition.

Most patients recover quickly once they've voted for the Labour Party.

Regards and get well soon, Dr. Shoelaces.

11. Likes Limy Sami, Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ROFLMAO!

Not really any fan-boy of Tories, but still..

I'd have to put that into the same class as the "medical" advice to begin each day by eating a live FROG for breakfast!

On the grounds that the rest of the day cannot HELP but provide an improved experience.

Regardless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The "Balfour declaration " was one of the conditions of a line of credit that enabled Britain to finance the war beyond June 1916.The Somme offensive was the first operation using that money.The Boche cost the Palestinians their homeland,not Britain.
    The way I read it we promised Jewish financiers to look after their interests in Palestine exchange for their financial support and at the same time we promised the Arabs to look after their interests in Palestine in exchange for their military support against the Turks.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The way I read it we promised Jewish financiers to look after their interests in Palestine exchange for their financial support and at the same time we promised the Arabs to look after their interests in Palestine in exchange for their military support against the Turks.

Regards Tyrone.
    Brits on-the-ground being just about "equally despised" by both sides by the end of War Two, we probably had that balance about as good as ever was as to delivering on the both promises as well.

Aftermath of Weird Adolph's "final solution" could be credited with kicking any such balance clear off the rails?

First real go at "balance" since a Roman had kicked-out ANYBODY who wouldn't just STFU about politics and mayhem and just tend to their Day Job. Farming. mostly - the rainfall and soil being more favorable to it at the time.

Kinda curious something said to be so very-damned IMPORTANT took the better part of 2,000 years to get to the top of the tribal in-basket?

Could it be.. that even with periodic pogroms, those dispersed were actually doing far better, educationally and economically, than had they never left?

Surely SEEMS so. Or there'd never have BEEN "Jewish Financiers" to begin with.

Lest we forget... Old Testament had it the land was already populated BEFORE either of Jewish peoples OR Arabs took a fancy to it, so...

"Ancestral homeland"?

Not sure even Africa is, really.

For any of us.

"nuther thing.

Most places.

Current population levels just will not FIT where folk claim to have come from. Not enough water or arable land. Not even enough PHYSICAL space in many cases. See metropolitan Asia, China but not-only.

Humankind has literally f**ked itself out of a place at the legacy-style dinner table.

No USEFUL education, no reliably trustworthy workforce, no value-add higher tech?

No EAT reg'lar-like.

UN, petro-state, and other wealthier country aid for Gaza, Jordan river environs, & such were to cease?

Far worse times than "already bad enough".

How much longer can THAT stress be postponed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Doctor writes -

Dear Worried of Norfolk, you appear to be suffering from " Learned Helplessness " - basically a condition that can effect individuals or groups of people that have become conditioned to expect or or experience negative results in certain life situations. Sufferers become so used to the negative results that they don't try and change their behaviour even when there are obvious ways they could improve their condition.

Dear Dr. Shoelaces, many thanks for your very worrying prognosis on my obviously very many major health problems.
    I decided,after a sleepless night,to get a second opinion. Well now Dr? Shoelaces,it would appear that you are dispensing medical advice on a Ugandan university,3 week long postal degree. You passed with flying colours I see,but then so did all the other postal graduates.
    My Doctor suggests that you are suffering from Corbynitis and thinks that I should sympathise with you whilst you endure your Labour pains.
    She also suggests that you check on how much money has been donated to both major parties during this election campaign and then check how much both major parties have in their accounts.
    You may need to seek the permission of Len McCluskey to do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Brits on-the-ground being just about "equally despised" by both sides by the end of War Two, we probably had that balance about as good as ever was as to delivering on the both promises as well.

Aftermath of Weird Adolph's "final solution" could be credited with kicking any such balance clear off the rails?

First real go at "balance" since a Roman had kicked-out ANYBODY who wouldn't just STFU about politics and mayhem and just tend to their Day Job. Farming. mostly - the rainfall and soil being more favorable to it at the time.

Kinda curious something said to be so very-damned IMPORTANT took the better part of 2,000 years to get to the top of the tribal in-basket?

Could it be.. that even with periodic pogroms, those dispersed were actually doing far better, educationally and economically, than had they never left?

Surely SEEMS so. Or there'd never have BEEN "Jewish Financiers" to begin with.

Lest we forget... Old Testament had it the land was already populated BEFORE either of Jewish peoples OR Arabs took a fancy to it, so...

"Ancestral homeland"?

Not sure even Africa is, really.

For any of us.

"nuther thing.

Most places.

Current population levels just will not FIT where folk claim to have come from. Not enough water or arable land. Not even enough PHYSICAL space in many cases. See metropolitan Asia, China but not-only.

Humankind has literally f**ked itself out of a place at the legacy-style dinner table.

No USEFUL education, no reliably trustworthy workforce, no value-add higher tech?

No EAT reg'lar-like.

UN, petro-state, and other wealthier country aid for Gaza, Jordan river environs, & such were to cease?

Far worse times than "already bad enough".

How much longer can THAT stress be postponed?
    I remember when you could write understandable English.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post

Apposite, when the insulin that I'm on costs $6 to make a 10ml vial. The NHS pays $36.60 for it and you can buy it for only $300 in Wallmart and Wallgreens.

This isn't because the drugs companies are making a loss when selling in the UK, they don't have to trade in the UK, but they're doing quite well in this market, thank you. It's simply because not only does the US have no price control mechanism, in the US there is legislation which specifically prevents any attempt at controlling the price that the companies can demand.
    Last edited by Mark Rand; 12-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.

19. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Apposite when the insulin that I'm on costs $6 to make a 10ml vial. The NHS pays $36.60 for it and you can buy it for only $300 in Wallmart and Wallgreens.

This isn't because the drugs companies are making a loss when selling in the UK, they don't have to trade in the UK, but they're doing quite well in this market, thank you. It's simply because not only does the US have no price control mechanism in the US, there is legislation which specifically prevents any attempt at controlling the price that the companies can demand.
    The "free" in "Free trade" depends on where you live I guess.

Novo Nordisk is the world's largest producer of insulin and has developed its production expertise over almost nine decades. We have production sites in US, Brazil, Denmark, France, China, Russia, Algeria and in Japan.

2016 Access Survey - T1International