Blast from the past - Brexit - Page 65
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 65 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 3364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, I went perusing to find a sunny prediction of Brexit from someone other than a Brexiteer politician.

I was surprised in finding none.

Now bobble headed brexiteers can pretend the world is against them and there is no truth in the mainstream media, but who are you really trying to fool?

The Brutal Reality Of Brexit

Forbes, liberal bastion that it is

Highlights:

No-deal Brexit could also have catastrophic economic consequences. The IMF, which recently concluded its Article IV assessment of the U.K. economy, said that no-deal Brexit could cause GDP to fall by 5-8%

Her Brexit deal is horrible. It would lock the U.K. into a “frozen Brexit," neither in the EU nor completely out of it. The U.K. would be forced to accept EU decisions over which it would have no say and continue to contribute to the EU budget despite no longer being a member. It would also be unable to enact its own trade deals with the rest of the world until the freeze ended. And it would be unable to end the freeze unilaterally.

The idea is that this “frozen Brexit” would be only for a transitional period ending in December 2020, when it would be superseded by a free trade agreement. But the proposal allows this date to be extended, if necessary for decades, if no free trade agreement is negotiated. And if the transition ends without a free trade agreement, then the entire U.K. would remain in a customs union with the EU indefinitely, while Northern Ireland would have a closer relationship with the EU than the rest of the U.K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    I think you guys are all missing something. Over here new Nuke build is starting in earnest, there now starting clearing land and seriously prepping for sizwell C even though its supposed to still be in planning with a go - no go descion and final funding still a year or 2 off. You can't seriously expect me to believe a french company is going to be spending bilions here if the uk is truly going to fall off a cliff edge or the future is as uncertain and bleak as some on here wish.

IMHO this shits all already been agreed in private, march the 30th us the great unwashed might get to see what that will be, but based on whats being spent by European companies around here im pretty certain theirs a deal already done, even though i hate believing in secret conspiracies.
    I like a good old conspiracy probably more than the average bloke - being a cynical fucker that I am
    But I think you're right, and this was all decided long ago.
    Why is May still there? It's a shit deal and she's pushing and pushing it. The press even call her the Maybot because she just repeats her same broken record speech verbatim.
    And she is not discussing anything at all with any of her cabinet - they are all in the dark. She's not bouncing any ideas around at all.
    She's a one woman show on her crusade. Which is why I'm sure it's all been agreed with Merkel.
    My big question is why has she stuck with it. She looks stupid on the deal - only yesterday the ex head of MI6 and ex chief of defence staff, issued a letter stating their opposition, saying that her deal places aspects of control of the UK security in foregn hands.
    So we all know it's a shit deal.
    She knows it's a shit deal, but she still pushes it and looks stupid.
    So what's in it for her?
    I read her husband has a senior position in an 1.3trillion investment fund... so maybe there's a link?

3. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a country, where a huge amount of people have fought and died for, why would we vote for this deal?
    Twitter

5. Likes adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    With Mays deal, the UK has no say in anything. Period
    #5thcolumist
    Sure you do.
    Close the borders, set up the customs posts.
    Go back to the 60s

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The deal that's been negotiated is the most pragmatic and best option available, short of remaining in the EU. Of course there needs to be a transition period and of course the completion date of that period is capable of extension. Any other arrangement would be insane. The whole purpose is to allow the country and its businesses to separate from the EU in an orderly manner. Anyone that thinks leaving completely at 23:00 UTC on the 29th of March is a sensible thing to do has not got the best interests of the country at heart. As to not having a say in the running of the EU during the transition period, we have not had that since the activation of Article 50 in 2017.

As to Ulster having closer relations with the EU than with the rest of the UK, it's more a case of it still having open borders with Eire. The aim is to not encourage a return of the 75 years of civil war (a fair amount of it sponsored by our friends in the USA) that the island suffered before the Good Friday agreement.

Yes, the whole thing is a shit sandwich. But people were warned of that before the referendum. The Brexit camp referred to those warnings as 'project fear'...

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    At the end of the day maintaining the cohesion of the EU is more important to Germany than playing nice with the UK. It's as simple as that really.
    I think you meant "maintaining control over"

This whole thing stinks of 1914 when Europe and millions of lives were destroyed because Victoria's other grandkids laughed at little Willy's withered arm.

Too much ego, not enough common sense. Great Britain voted to get out. Democracy is god, except when people don't vote the way we want ? then we punish them ?

People suck. People in power really suck.

9. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I think you meant "maintaining control over"

This whole thing stinks of 1914 when Europe and millions of lives were destroyed because Victoria's other grandkids laughed at little Willy's withered arm.

Too much ego, not enough common sense. Great Britain voted to get out. Democracy is god, except when people don't vote the way we want ? then we punish them ?

People suck. People in power really suck.
    YOu really are an idiot, aren't you?

Great Britain got voted out?

Great Britain had a hissy fit and voted itself out

nose, face, spite

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep voting until you get it RIGHT (aka "our way')

Brits to vote again? Brexit delay creates headache for Europe | Reuters

12. Likes adama liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    YOu really are an idiot, aren't you?

Great Britain got voted out?

Great Britain had a hissy fit and voted itself out

nose, face, spite
    L-E-A-R-N T-O R-E-A-D.

The text you QUOTED said "Great Britain voted to get out."

You are a perfect example of what I was talking about. When it goes your way, democracy is god's gift to sliced bread. When people vote a different way, then it's "a hissy fit."

Here's a big fat free clue, Gus - the British don't have to answer to you. It's THEIR country and they can do whatever they damn well please.

14. Likes barbter, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sheeple

Baaaaa....d

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

L-E-A-R-N T-O R-E-A-D.

The text you QUOTED said "Great Britain voted to get out."

You are a perfect example of what I was talking about. When it goes your way, democracy is god's gift to sliced bread. When people vote a different way, then it's "a hissy fit."

Here's a big fat free clue, Gus - the British don't have to answer to you. It's THEIR country and they can do whatever they damn well please.
    Then close the borders and set up the check points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Sure you do.
    Close the borders, set up the customs posts.
    Go back to the 60s
    You "close the borders guys" aren't really reading what is proposed are you...
    There will be NO hard border in Ireland. The Irish have said it and so has the UK repeatedly.
    The cost of it being patrolled by some low-wage immigrants is still too high
    And no one is advocating returning to the 60's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You "close the borders guys" aren't really reading what is proposed are you...
    There will be NO hard border in Ireland. The Irish have said it and so has the UK repeatedly.
    The cost of it being patrolled by some low-wage immigrants is still too high
    Of course.
    You want the benefits of membership with out the responsibilities.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Me ! Me ! I am ! Mods. Rockers. Mini-skirts, Carnaby Street. Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll ! Marianne Faithful ! Beatlemania !

Bring it on !

20. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Me ! Me ! I am ! Mods. Rockers. Mini-skirts, Carnaby Street. Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll ! Marianne Faithful ! Beatlemania !

Bring it on !
    Okay on the proviso i get an AC Cobra, E Type Jag, and Mini Cooper S!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring it on !
    I believe a qty (1) "Mike Meyers" has revisited that nicely sir.
    And filmed it.....

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay on the proviso i get an AC Cobra, E Type Jag, and Mini Cooper S!
    I think I'd happily settle for a Riley 1 point 5. At least the plastic trim came from real walnut trees, even if it was an Austin Cambridge under the paintwork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys still dont get it, northern irland is best got rid off, if leaving the eu frees us of northern island it will save us a bloody fortune and then finally there may be peace there or the Irish will have no one to blame but there selves for any continued unrest. Growing up as a kid in the 80's cutting all ties with Ireland really seams like a fucking great idea. They bring nothing but trouble and costs to us, the irish have not nore will they ever want to truly live in peace or they would sort out there own communities. like it or not the Brexit vote happened, if parliament fails to implement it thats grounds for civil war, remember number wise were still a country of peasants, sure were not armed with projectile weaponry, but if the past is anything to go by the blood shed will be vast. Equally in the digital world we now live in its not the 50+ years old upper class that have the true power any more. Lots of this countries things and power bases only work because us peasants support it and if were fucked with and pissed off enough the yellow jacket french protests are but a mere splash in the ocean to what could happen. The upper classes are no longer insulated in nice stately homes full of loyal servants any more.

On the plus side, if this goes tits up enough it may finally rid the country of the last of the class system. That alone would make the country far greater in the future and a far better place for all to live in than it is today.

Right now im still in the theres a plan thats at foot camp, things here are happening that would not be if Brexit was going to be a brick wall. The infrastructure projects happening here would be canned if Brexit truly was going to be a stone cold exit. Right now the PM is either going to go down as one of the most useless in British history or she is possibly on the brink of pulling a blinder. Remember in poltics the media is a tool to use, im willing to bet more is being said than is being reported on. having worked around political parties the one thing i can assure you is the amount of chatter that goes on, there like ant colonies, no real action on the surface but in there bowels shit moves around a lot more than most ever realized.

The only certain right now is the EU's stance on things, it was our move calling Brexit, there move to negotiate a leaving agreement terms as they rightly hold the cards there, now its back to our move, like all moves they carry risk, but we know what is at stake and a hard Brexit and what that may entail is still possibly no worse than staying, remember, the EU is a collective and as the second biggest us leaving makes a big hole in a already shaky state of affairs. The last ten years the EU has had wobbles that with out us would have been far more serious. Thoes wobbles are still there and the vulnerabilities just as great or worse so with out us.

Hence my bet right now is on us leaving and there being a plan, its just intentionally being kept from us peasants and the EU for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the Irish would be just as happy to be rid of the Britons.
    A couple centuries of gorilla war should have made that pretty clear.

Might be ugly for a while, but the UDA is nothing with out the Royal Army backing them up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post

Hence my bet right now is on us leaving and there being a plan, its just intentionally being kept from us peasants and the EU for now.
    She is repeatedly pushing her rinse and repeat "my deal is the only deal" speech.
    She cannot be stupid. She must know her deal is a shit deal.
    She must know walking away is by far the best option, because Barnier is shitting himself if the UK do it, because he needs his 39 billion to keep it all rolling (Lithuania now "need" a bailout and it has to come from somewhere).
    But I really don't think she will - she's not discussing anything with any cabinet ministers - she is truly a one woman show.
    So I think she truly is a fifth columnist, working for Merkel and the elite, and this is the first stage of the USE (United States of Europe).
    UK hand over key defence authority to the EU, UK hand over all fishing rights, UK hand over legal status so the EU has the final say, her "deal" does all of this and more.
    So unfortunately Adam, I fear she's working for "the other side".

I'd love to be wrong though.