Blue collar, white collar.. my observations in the US and what about other cultures? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I say not to worry ...when the Chinese take over,they will sort out the greenies and corrupt politicians.
    They won't have to literally occupy Australian territory once their navy is based close enough for intimidation. But of course the Greens' goals are so lofty they can't worry about that. Anyway they're on the same side and one could hardly expect resistance to be on their agenda. The Green tree has Red roots. Certainly true in the US. Back to the original subject, anybody know—or care—whether there is a white collar/blue collar social hierarchy in the Peoples Republic (China, not Massachusetts)?

3. Likes fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, China is green now?
    Gw

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg White View Post
    So, China is green now?
    Last time I looked at the flag it was still red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Last time I looked at the flag it was still red.
    I figured you’d be posting rite away, iffin I coulda spelt you name, woulda mentioned it...

Didn’t think we was talkin flag colors?eh
    Twas freedom? Like Wyoming, where slaves are still allowed and one can still dump anything in the valleys.
    Peace ✌🏽 mon
    Gw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Notice the dress in vests and ties and contrast it to the manufacturing floor now. Different times, different attitudes or different pride in the job you own?
    I had an employee file a compliant because some of the girls on the line were wearing "booty shorts" when summertime in the plant.
    He was very offended by such dress and wanted this ruled as not workplace appropriate.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Notice the dress in vests and ties and contrast it to the manufacturing floor now. Different times, different attitudes or different pride in the job you own?
    I had an employee file a compliant because some of the girls on the line were wearing "booty shorts" when summertime in the plant.
    He was very offended by such dress and wanted this ruled as not workplace appropriate.
    Bob
    I take it you fired him ?

Regards Tyrone.

9. Likes toolsteel liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blue collar vs white collar.....
    A person' opinion only matters to me if I respect it. If someone feels the need to point out the differences as one being superior to the other(either direction) I dont respect it. I have seen different levels of competence / incompetence amongst both.

11. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I take it you fired him ?
    Regards Tyrone.
    I tried to talk him down. He was so very upset from a personal and ethical view.
    Fire him not an option in a union shop and I certainly would not do that anyways.
    Stuff like this you ask for the committeeman's help. Weird.... management and the union trying to work together.
    Tough because he has a right to his viewpoint and beliefs to some level.
    We had a dress code but it sort of vague. The life of a supervisor in a big plant is never easy and you run into all sorts of unexpected personal hurt.
    Here on the floor you have disrespect for one or the other.

As a super in a plant there is also a whole nother level of problems. Eye contact only do not look.
    Some of my at the same level and bosses where extremely attractive and sometimes maybe sort of showing it.
    While great people to work with this made me extremely uncomfortable at times as it's hard to turn that off.
    I would shift my chair in meetings so another would block my view so as to not see.
    Bob

13. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... it's hard to turn that off.
    We are merely the tools of our chromosomes and their sole purpose is to reproduce

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes ,how times have changed.....I worked at a place where there were rows of women seated at tables,the old supervisor ,well call him Roy ,cause Roy was his name,would get out of his spot at the back and walk up the rows snapping bra straps,and reaching down the fronts of aprons.......And some of the women used to get apprentices to "hold ladders for them" while they climbed up to reach stuff stored on high shelves....Theyd say all sorts of suggestive stuff...like "ooh,I snapped your picture"..and "ooh ,dirty boy ,youre looking up my dress"....What a mob of old bags....And youd make the mistake of taking them out ,and finding out they could drink like fishes and soak up your weeks wages without getting tipsy.

16. Likes Oldwrench, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    We are merely the tools of our chromosomes and their sole purpose is to reproduce
    That'l hold well in court. NOT.

Could be some are "dredging for a lawsuit".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried to talk him down. He was so very upset from a personal and ethical view.
    Fire him not an option in a union shop and I certainly would not do that anyways.
    Stuff like this you ask for the committeeman's help. Weird.... management and the union trying to work together.
    Tough because he has a right to his viewpoint and beliefs to some level.
    We had a dress code but it sort of vague. The life of a supervisor in a big plant is never easy and you run into all sorts of unexpected personal hurt.
    Here on the floor you have disrespect for one or the other.

As a super in a plant there is also a whole nother level of problems. Eye contact only do not look.
    Some of my at the same level and bosses where extremely attractive and sometimes maybe sort of showing it.
    While great people to work with this made me extremely uncomfortable at times as it's hard to turn that off.
    I would shift my chair in meetings so another would block my view so as to not see.
    Bob
    I was only joking Bob.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've heard quite a few comments from the office denizens when they didn't think I could hear them over 40 years in the shop. Mostly summed up by the following:

larson.jpg

click image for larger sized image

20. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always considered white collar to mean you make decisions, while blue collar means you take orders.

There are lots of exceptions, but the world isn't black and white either.

I like the adage "what ere thou art, act well thy part." We can go on and on for days about fair pay, respect in the workplace, and common decency as human beings, but the fact remains that every job is necessary and if it's yours to do, do it well, and be humble about your station. Everyone see's humility as taking yourself down a notch, but they tend to miss that it goes the other way too. Someone who thinks others are bad people simply because they are somehow better off, needs some life perspective adjustment.

22. Likes AD Design liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I was only joking Bob.
    I sort of guessed that but I wanted to explain the complications that come up.
    Many others around me saw it as joke to be blown off. I could not do that.
    I have an upset employee, right, wrong, or indifferent.
    My job becomes fix it and in this case not easy and sleepless nights.
    Others at my level and above around me where WTF are you doing, toss this to the side, don't waste time.
    Yet I have a good worker whom also is not sleeping well.......As a super just what is my job and responsibility?
    Bob

PS.... 02/11 is coming soon. What color will your shirt be?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Holiday rosters were the biggest source of argument ,discord and dissatisfaction I had to deal with.......Poms had the best idea...whole plant closed for one week ,and everyone went to the seaside on the company.Different areas had different weeks .Everyone was happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sort of guessed that but I wanted to explain the complications that come up.
    Many others around me saw it as joke to be blown off. I could not do that.
    I have an upset employee, right, wrong, or indifferent.
    My job becomes fix it and in this case not easy and sleepless nights.
    Others at my level and above around me where WTF are you doing, toss this to the side, don't waste time.
    Yet I have a good worker whom also is not sleeping well.......As a super just what is my job and responsibility?
    Bob

PS.... 02/11 is coming soon. What color will your shirt be?
    You got me there, what's happening on the 2nd of November ?

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regarding holidays in the UK. In the " Cotton Towns " of Lancashire in the years I was growing up they had what was known as " Wakes Weeks ". That meant for two weeks all the Mills shut. Rochdale, where I lived, was like a ghost town especially in the second week.. In the second week of the holiday every shop shut, it was all you could do to buy a pint of milk or a loaf of bread.

With the demise of the cotton industry all that as changed.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in North Norfolk we used to have ''Leicester Fortnight'' when all the shoe and hosiery factories shut down - oddly enough the only trades not on holiday that fortnight were the mechanics, machinists electricians etc etc.

I once went to Fords @ Dagenham when they were on summer shutdown (took a van load of parts we'd made ''over the water'') - mayhem doesn't even come close, ……...I swear they'd taken the whole plant to pieces and were putting it back together.