Blue collar, white collar.. my observations in the US and what about other cultures? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 121
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    396

  2. #102
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8344
    Likes (Received)
    5489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I say not to worry ...when the Chinese take over,they will sort out the greenies and corrupt politicians.
    They won't have to literally occupy Australian territory once their navy is based close enough for intimidation. But of course the Greens' goals are so lofty they can't worry about that. Anyway they're on the same side and one could hardly expect resistance to be on their agenda. The Green tree has Red roots. Certainly true in the US. Back to the original subject, anybody know—or care—whether there is a white collar/blue collar social hierarchy in the Peoples Republic (China, not Massachusetts)?

  3. Likes fusker liked this post
  4. #103
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pinckney Mi.
    Posts
    3,008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6114
    Likes (Received)
    880

    Default

    So, China is green now?
    Gw

  5. #104
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    4,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg White View Post
    So, China is green now?
    Last time I looked at the flag it was still red.

  6. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pinckney Mi.
    Posts
    3,008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6114
    Likes (Received)
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Last time I looked at the flag it was still red.
    I figured you’d be posting rite away, iffin I coulda spelt you name, woulda mentioned it...

    Didn’t think we was talkin flag colors?eh
    Twas freedom? Like Wyoming, where slaves are still allowed and one can still dump anything in the valleys.
    Peace ✌🏽 mon
    Gw

  7. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    8,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    469
    Likes (Received)
    7209

    Default

    Notice the dress in vests and ties and contrast it to the manufacturing floor now. Different times, different attitudes or different pride in the job you own?
    I had an employee file a compliant because some of the girls on the line were wearing "booty shorts" when summertime in the plant.
    He was very offended by such dress and wanted this ruled as not workplace appropriate.
    Bob

  8. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    8,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1376
    Likes (Received)
    5674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Notice the dress in vests and ties and contrast it to the manufacturing floor now. Different times, different attitudes or different pride in the job you own?
    I had an employee file a compliant because some of the girls on the line were wearing "booty shorts" when summertime in the plant.
    He was very offended by such dress and wanted this ruled as not workplace appropriate.
    Bob
    I take it you fired him ?

    Regards Tyrone.

  9. Likes toolsteel liked this post
  10. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3498
    Likes (Received)
    2675

    Default

    Blue collar vs white collar.....
    A person' opinion only matters to me if I respect it. If someone feels the need to point out the differences as one being superior to the other(either direction) I dont respect it. I have seen different levels of competence / incompetence amongst both.

  11. Likes Laurentian liked this post
  12. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    8,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    469
    Likes (Received)
    7209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I take it you fired him ?
    Regards Tyrone.
    I tried to talk him down. He was so very upset from a personal and ethical view.
    Fire him not an option in a union shop and I certainly would not do that anyways.
    Stuff like this you ask for the committeeman's help. Weird.... management and the union trying to work together.
    Tough because he has a right to his viewpoint and beliefs to some level.
    We had a dress code but it sort of vague. The life of a supervisor in a big plant is never easy and you run into all sorts of unexpected personal hurt.
    Here on the floor you have disrespect for one or the other.

    As a super in a plant there is also a whole nother level of problems. Eye contact only do not look.
    Some of my at the same level and bosses where extremely attractive and sometimes maybe sort of showing it.
    While great people to work with this made me extremely uncomfortable at times as it's hard to turn that off.
    I would shift my chair in meetings so another would block my view so as to not see.
    Bob

  13. Likes Laurentian liked this post
  14. #110
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    4,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    ... it's hard to turn that off.
    We are merely the tools of our chromosomes and their sole purpose is to reproduce

  15. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    2,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    936

    Default

    Yes ,how times have changed.....I worked at a place where there were rows of women seated at tables,the old supervisor ,well call him Roy ,cause Roy was his name,would get out of his spot at the back and walk up the rows snapping bra straps,and reaching down the fronts of aprons.......And some of the women used to get apprentices to "hold ladders for them" while they climbed up to reach stuff stored on high shelves....Theyd say all sorts of suggestive stuff...like "ooh,I snapped your picture"..and "ooh ,dirty boy ,youre looking up my dress"....What a mob of old bags....And youd make the mistake of taking them out ,and finding out they could drink like fishes and soak up your weeks wages without getting tipsy.

  16. Likes Oldwrench, Laurentian liked this post
  17. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    17,697
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    We are merely the tools of our chromosomes and their sole purpose is to reproduce
    That'l hold well in court. NOT.

    Could be some are "dredging for a lawsuit".

  18. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    8,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1376
    Likes (Received)
    5674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I tried to talk him down. He was so very upset from a personal and ethical view.
    Fire him not an option in a union shop and I certainly would not do that anyways.
    Stuff like this you ask for the committeeman's help. Weird.... management and the union trying to work together.
    Tough because he has a right to his viewpoint and beliefs to some level.
    We had a dress code but it sort of vague. The life of a supervisor in a big plant is never easy and you run into all sorts of unexpected personal hurt.
    Here on the floor you have disrespect for one or the other.

    As a super in a plant there is also a whole nother level of problems. Eye contact only do not look.
    Some of my at the same level and bosses where extremely attractive and sometimes maybe sort of showing it.
    While great people to work with this made me extremely uncomfortable at times as it's hard to turn that off.
    I would shift my chair in meetings so another would block my view so as to not see.
    Bob
    I was only joking Bob.

    Regards Tyrone.

  19. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tennessee USA
    Posts
    917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    611
    Likes (Received)
    535

    Default

    I've heard quite a few comments from the office denizens when they didn't think I could hear them over 40 years in the shop. Mostly summed up by the following:

    larson.jpg

    click image for larger sized image

  20. Likes Laurentian liked this post
  21. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1971
    Likes (Received)
    1095

    Default

    I've always considered white collar to mean you make decisions, while blue collar means you take orders.

    There are lots of exceptions, but the world isn't black and white either.

    I like the adage "what ere thou art, act well thy part." We can go on and on for days about fair pay, respect in the workplace, and common decency as human beings, but the fact remains that every job is necessary and if it's yours to do, do it well, and be humble about your station. Everyone see's humility as taking yourself down a notch, but they tend to miss that it goes the other way too. Someone who thinks others are bad people simply because they are somehow better off, needs some life perspective adjustment.

  22. Likes AD Design liked this post
  23. #116
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    8,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    469
    Likes (Received)
    7209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I was only joking Bob.
    I sort of guessed that but I wanted to explain the complications that come up.
    Many others around me saw it as joke to be blown off. I could not do that.
    I have an upset employee, right, wrong, or indifferent.
    My job becomes fix it and in this case not easy and sleepless nights.
    Others at my level and above around me where WTF are you doing, toss this to the side, don't waste time.
    Yet I have a good worker whom also is not sleeping well.......As a super just what is my job and responsibility?
    Bob

    PS.... 02/11 is coming soon. What color will your shirt be?

  24. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    2,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    936

    Default

    Holiday rosters were the biggest source of argument ,discord and dissatisfaction I had to deal with.......Poms had the best idea...whole plant closed for one week ,and everyone went to the seaside on the company.Different areas had different weeks .Everyone was happy.

  25. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    8,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1376
    Likes (Received)
    5674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I sort of guessed that but I wanted to explain the complications that come up.
    Many others around me saw it as joke to be blown off. I could not do that.
    I have an upset employee, right, wrong, or indifferent.
    My job becomes fix it and in this case not easy and sleepless nights.
    Others at my level and above around me where WTF are you doing, toss this to the side, don't waste time.
    Yet I have a good worker whom also is not sleeping well.......As a super just what is my job and responsibility?
    Bob

    PS.... 02/11 is coming soon. What color will your shirt be?
    You got me there, what's happening on the 2nd of November ?

    Regards Tyrone.

  26. #119
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    8,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1376
    Likes (Received)
    5674

    Default

    Regarding holidays in the UK. In the " Cotton Towns " of Lancashire in the years I was growing up they had what was known as " Wakes Weeks ". That meant for two weeks all the Mills shut. Rochdale, where I lived, was like a ghost town especially in the second week.. In the second week of the holiday every shop shut, it was all you could do to buy a pint of milk or a loaf of bread.

    With the demise of the cotton industry all that as changed.

    Regards Tyrone.

  27. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    19,849
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15285
    Likes (Received)
    15557

    Default

    Here in North Norfolk we used to have ''Leicester Fortnight'' when all the shoe and hosiery factories shut down - oddly enough the only trades not on holiday that fortnight were the mechanics, machinists electricians etc etc.

    I once went to Fords @ Dagenham when they were on summer shutdown (took a van load of parts we'd made ''over the water'') - mayhem doesn't even come close, ……...I swear they'd taken the whole plant to pieces and were putting it back together.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •