What's new
What's new

BMW i3 production process videos

Nick Mueller

Titanium
Hi!

Here ate 3 videos of the production of the new BMW i3, the electric car to hit the market next month.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
About 1 and a half hour of watching. No narrator, no explanations, still not boring.

It doesn't show the whole process, like carbon fiber production in the USA.
Some things are quite strange to me, like assembly of the gear box. So sloooow. But maybe these shots were taken in the early phase (completely new plant) and all went at half speed.

Personally I think, the i3 will be a huge success for BMW. Others think different.

Nick

I like the production of the videos as well. I wonder if they are using UV cured adhesives? Quite a design project for tooling . . . Likely more engineering in the tools and robotics / sequencing programming than in the vehicle itself.

Notice the robots operating in safe limited speed mode until the guard doors slide shut and latch after which they take off at a good clip.

In Part 1 at 14:30,and again in Part 2 24:30 inspection occurs after chassis/body sub-assembly is completed instead of concurrently and in parallel with the sub-assembly process. Lots of room for optimizing those types serialized processes.

Here is a short video of the SGL carbon-fiber plant in the USA:
SGL

I find the depth of in-house production (if you call a joint-venture in house) quite interesting. BMW is even making their own electric motors in their plant. Maybe their motivation was "We make our IC-engines, so we can wind our motors too". A completely new set of knowledge required. Like with the mass production of carbon bodies.

Hopefully, the i3 doesn't end like the GM EV-1 :) Considering the investments in plants, technology and knowhow BMW made, they are damned convinced of their success.

Nick

Why does the i3 have to be butt ass ugly?

Not so sure wether it is ugly. Looks like it depends a lot on the color. With some, it also looks ugly to me. With others, I like it from the pictures I have seen.

Haven't seen one yet, despite they drive around here frequently since months for factory tests. I'll judge, when I have seen one in real.

Nick

Not BMW (spit) but watched a documentary on McClaren about their new road car.The carbon fibre tub was made in Austria and required 4000 man hours.McClarens engineers brought the process inhouse in the new factory and are building them in 4 hours.

Hopefully, the i3 doesn't end like the GM EV-1 :) Considering the investments in plants, technology and knowhow BMW made, they are damned convinced of their success.

Nick

The EV1 is what convinced me to quit my job and start my own company. The last company I worked for designed among many different things, EV dynamometers and battery simulators. After working on 3 systems for the EV1 I became depressed when my boss told me to divest my efforts in motion control and focus on EV dyne work. Making motors go round and developing drive technology was boring to me.

It's always interesting to see how the Germans do it.

The lack of flexibility is interesting. I suppose because this car is just so unique. In a Japanese auto plant, they would be able to make 3 or 4 different models on the same production line by using different tooling. Model change overs would take 30 minutes or so.

I didn't see any stamping, but they appear to make a lot of plastic parts in house. Very few people around in that part of the plant.

No one seems to wear safety glasses.

Not so sure wether it is ugly. Looks like it depends a lot on the color. With some, it also looks ugly to me. With others, I like it from the pictures I have seen.

Haven't seen one yet, despite they drive around here frequently since months for factory tests. I'll judge, when I have seen one in real.

Nick

The window kicking down behind the front seats is beyond terrible. And the fake grill is unforgivable.

There's no reason E cars have to look like dog shit.

The Nissan leaf headlights are some of the worst design I've ever seen, anywhere.

The lack of flexibility is interesting. I suppose because this car is just so unique. In a Japanese auto plant, they would be able to make 3 or 4 different models on the same production line by using different tooling.

As far as I know, they have a plant for every type. There is enough room to expand in Germany.
The factory in Munich is quite crammed up. At Landshut, they have as much room as they want.

Nick

The carbon fibre tub was made in Austria and required 4000 man hours.McClarens engineers brought the process inhouse in the new factory and are building them in 4 hours.

These 4000 hours are for a F1-chassis.
The chassis for the road car still is made in Austria, in 4 hours.

Nick

These 4000 hours are for a F1-chassis.
The chassis for the road car still is made in Austria, in 4 hours.

Nick

Not true,according to what McClaren said in the documentary and they were talking soley about the road car,it's costs and the reductions they were having to make in man hours in order to produce the numbers required.
So you are saying McClaren executives have lied?

Back