Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I once worked for a Managing Director ( President of the company in the USA I think ) who was at least one sandwich short of a picnic. Having said that not everything that came out of his mouth was rubbish.

His favourite saying was " Make It Idiot Proof ". I remember him coming to inspect a newly finished machine that was due to be shipped abroad inside a day or two. All went well until he came to the control panel. It had a series of 3 small lever switches down the centre of the panel.

He grabbed a hammer from an adjacent work bench and smashed all 3 switches ! Turning to the draughtsman, who was shaking in his shoes by this point, he said " Buy the three biggest, strongest switches you can find and fit them - make it idiot proof I said ! " With that he threw the hammer down the shop.

On the original theme there was an article in my paper over here the other day. There have been several incidences of engine fire extinguisher switches failing on the " Dreamliner ". In response to this an edict has been issued requiring all operators to test these switches every 28 days.

Regards Tyrone.
    Wow. What a drama nut. I have seen when a boss got mad in a meeting and threw a scrap part flying. Machinists can sit and keep cool when needed I will say. They can also get mad themselves and quit also because working for someone like that even when they are not throwing things is not good for one’s health. It is safer than a angry wife with a guided frying pan though.

Maybe in such a environment watching as much of the three stooges would help. I always like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    More will come out and perhaps this is to say something to bolster the reputation of the company in some way. Likely we will learn of things in certification that we’re done which puts things on the positive side.
    Don't ask for things, you might get them. Could be it's really worse than it looks.
    Bolster the reputation? Heck, it has only one way to *go*.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I once worked for a Managing Director ( President of the company in the USA I think ) who was at least one sandwich short of a picnic. Having said that not everything that came out of his mouth was rubbish.

His favourite saying was " Make It Idiot Proof ". I remember him coming to inspect a newly finished machine that was due to be shipped abroad inside a day or two. All went well until he came to the control panel. It had a series of 3 small lever switches down the centre of the panel.

He grabbed a hammer from an adjacent work bench and smashed all 3 switches ! Turning to the draughtsman, who was shaking in his shoes by this point, he said " Buy the three biggest, strongest switches you can find and fit them - make it idiot proof I said ! " With that he threw the hammer down the shop.

On the original theme there was an article in my paper over here the other day. There have been several incidences of engine fire extinguisher switches failing on the " Dreamliner ". In response to this an edict has been issued requiring all operators to test these switches every 28 days.

Regards Tyrone.
    Common practice in safety designto test all interlocks and relays regularly.
    In fact it’s baked in to many safety PLCs.
    If all the circuits aren’t exercised regularly the machine won’t start up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Don't ask for things, you might get them. Could be it's really worse than it looks.
    Bolster the reputation? Heck, it has only one way to *go*.
    You persist. The evidence is still coming though Rosen and we can wait and see. I think you are anti Boeing as a rule and always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well anti-plane crash, guilty as charged for that offense.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regards Tyrone.
    I read a bit about this the other day too.
    Shocking.
    Especially when you have an inherent design reliant upon unstable batteries and to make them *safe to fly* you have a titanium pipe to vent any possible flames out the side of the fuselage!
    Oh I hate flying...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Shocking.
    Especially when you have an inherent design reliant upon unstable batteries and to make them *safe to fly* you have a titanium pipe to vent any possible flames out the side of the fuselage!
    Oh I hate flying...
    Me too, I'm never as happy as when I'm walking out through the exit and down the steps onto the ground.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Shocking.
    Oh I hate flying...
    At least we agree on something I don't like flying either but I don't have much choice as many of my destinations are far away. The Boeing 747 was my favourite until Airbus 380 came along.

YouTube

YouTube

My reason for my preference? The a380 just feels more spacious and comfortable but I'm OK with either.