Thread: Boeing 737 Max

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think we'll have to hold a charity benefit for Boeing anytime soon. Boeing commercial earns in excess of $2 Bn profits per quarter. The 737 backlog is over 4700 frames.

The charge is an accounting entry- a tax write-off. It was $5.6 Bn in total. Part of that was costs related to anticipated delays on 777X. Part of it is for reimbursing operators for the loss of revenue while the MAX is grounded. $2.7 Bn is anticipated penalties for delays in 737 MAX deliveries. The $2.7 Bn is amortized over the 3100 frame MAX backlog- meaning Boeing will decrease the flyaway cost of each jet based on how long it is delayed. The MAX backlog is 7+ years of production, so no one knows how much the cost will really be.

Separate from this, Boeing setup a compensation fund with $50 Million to pay the families of the crash flights. That fund is managed by Ken Feinberg, the guy who ran the 9/11 and Deepwater Horizon funds.
    Last edited by jancollc; 07-26-2019 at 07:06 PM.

2. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jancollc, Hello old friend. go check my thread on OKUM MC-4VA and give me some feedback if ya would. Hope all is well.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lot's of Boeing Bears growling, is it time to short BA?

Not with my $.

Fools be warned; your playing with FIRE.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Headz Marine View Post
    Jancollc, Hello old friend. go check my thread on OKUM MC-4VA and give me some feedback if ya would. Hope all is well.
    Hi Lewis. I will look. Good to see you back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New article out by NYT:

The Roots of Boeing’s 737 Max Crisis: A Regulator Relaxes Its Oversight - The New York Times

Exerpt:

Under the impression the system was insignificant, officials didn’t require Boeing to tell pilots about MCAS. When the company asked to remove mention of MCAS from the pilot’s manual, the agency agreed. The F.A.A. also did not mention the software in 30 pages of detailed descriptions noting differences between the Max and the previous iteration of the 737.

Days after the Lion Air crash, the agency invited Boeing executives to the F.A.A.’s Seattle headquarters, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. The officials sat incredulous as Boeing executives explained details about the system that they didn’t know.

In the middle of the conversation, an F.A.A. employee, one of the people said, interrupted to ask a question on the minds of several agency engineers: Why hadn’t Boeing updated the safety analysis of a system that had become so dangerous?

7. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    New article out by NYT:

The Roots of Boeing’s 737 Max Crisis: A Regulator Relaxes Its Oversight - The New York Times

Exerpt:

Under the impression the system was insignificant, officials didn’t require Boeing to tell pilots about MCAS. When the company asked to remove mention of MCAS from the pilot’s manual, the agency agreed. The F.A.A. also did not mention the software in 30 pages of detailed descriptions noting differences between the Max and the previous iteration of the 737.

Days after the Lion Air crash, the agency invited Boeing executives to the F.A.A.’s Seattle headquarters, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. The officials sat incredulous as Boeing executives explained details about the system that they didn’t know.

In the middle of the conversation, an F.A.A. employee, one of the people said, interrupted to ask a question on the minds of several agency engineers: Why hadn’t Boeing updated the safety analysis of a system that had become so dangerous?
    It's worth reading the whole article, there's a lot in there that show both the FAA and Boeing in a very poor light.

The only upside being future planes should now be safer, assuming the FAA is allowed to do it's job, and not delegate responsibility to Boeing.

I wonder is Cessna and Gulfstream have similar arrangements with the FAA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BBC TV " Panorama " current affairs programme is doing a programme on the 737 Max issue tonight. I'm out in Spain at the moment so I'll have to miss it. On a brief piece on the radio an ex Boeing employee is complaining of cost cutting behind the scenes.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    You are the one making accusations in the absence of a completed investigation. I do know there is one going on an....

Hell, they should pull a trump. If any investigation develops under the Trump DOJ, Boeing executives should fight and refuse any subpoenas, only answer certain questions that the investigators submit to them in written form, answer untruthfully, and have our moderator (as their spokesman) go on Fox and deny that there were any crashes and suggest that it is the Airbus executives that should be thrown in jail.

11. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, Mstcnc liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    You are the one making accusations in the absence of a completed investigation. I do know there is one going on and I am willing to wait. You are more involved because you are accusatory of Boeing. When you finally get some proof for what you have been baying all this time only then in the light of the facts will it mean something to me.

One thing I am pretty certain of is that things will not unfold the way you peddle.
    Your opinion in this thread has been very one sided from the start. Take your own advice and wait for the conclusion rather than go after all that you don't agree with.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    BBC TV " Panorama " current affairs programme is doing a programme on the 737 Max issue tonight. I'm out in Spain at the moment so I'll have to miss it. On a brief piece on the radio an ex Boeing employee is complaining of cost cutting behind the scenes.

Regards Tyrone.
    BBC One - Panorama, Boeing's Killer Planes

Looks to be availible online shortly.

14. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE. View Post
    and have our moderator (as their spokesman) go on Fox and deny that there were any crashes and suggest that it is the Airbus executives that should be thrown in jail.
    That's seems about right, they'll take any trailer park resident to make a point that supports the Boeing narrative.

16. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    BBC One - Panorama, Boeing's Killer Planes

Looks to be availible online shortly.
    In spite of me being a BBC licence payer back in the UK I can't access the BBC I player out in Spain ! Some bollocks about rights issues.
    I'll have to wait until I get back to the UK.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In spite of me being a BBC licence payer back in the UK I can't access the BBC I player out in Spain ! Some bollocks about rights issues.
    I'll have to wait until I get back to the UK.

Regards Tyrone.
    You could use an IP diverter like NordVPM.
    That works well in Spain...

19. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I'll have to find out more about that. Off to bed now.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And they're approved by the Hydraulic Press Channel...

22. Likes Mstcnc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll have to find out more about that. Off to bed now.

Regards Tyrone.
    vpn.jpg

I use Express VPN. Although here in the states, the BBC player thinks I'm in the UK Docklands.

I was in Germany recently and streaming HBO, using the VPN, HBO thought I was in the states.

24. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just talked to a guy I know who's on it and they're getting an extended vacation until at least January!

He told me back in March they did sims that mimicked the crash scenarios and basically when the stab trim switches are put to cutout the forces to hold the column back are nearly impossible to hold. Also the PNF (pilot not flying) was not able to use the manual trim wheel to crank in some 50 turns to bring the stab back into trim. Said the only way to manually trim it was to induce negative g to unload the elevator and crank in as many turns as possible, rinse and repeat.

What's taking so long according to rumors he's heard is they're looking at basically the whole aircraft to be sure nothing else is gonna rear it's ugly head and bite them in the arse once it's returned to service.

26. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    Said the only way to manually trim it was to induce negative g to unload the elevator and crank in as many turns as possible, rinse and repeat.

What's taking so long according to rumors he's heard is they're looking at basically the whole aircraft to be sure nothing else is gonna rear it's ugly head and bite them in the arse once it's returned to service.
    Ooooohhhhhh....that's a roller coaster ride!
    Glad they're prolonging the certification approval and I heard it will be to at least March next year (?)
    I hate flying at the best of times, but the older 737-800 was a good bird to be in. Hopefully this will end up the same way.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooohhhhhh....that's a roller coaster ride!
    Glad they're prolonging the certification approval and I heard it will be to at least March next year (?)
    I hate flying at the best of times, but the older 737-800 was a good bird to be in. Hopefully this will end up the same way.
    You could just follow Tex Johnson's lead....
    YouTube

29. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    You could just follow Tex Johnson's lead....
    YouTube
    Awesome! I've never seen this before.
    Thanks