• Thread starter otrlt
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 9,277
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

otrlt

A measure that We have constituted for over the last 40 years is to not purchase anything from CHINA.

the quality of there products are grotesquely inferior.

But for many, it is sufficient.

You do not buy anything from China?
A great idea but how?
No TV in your house, what is the screen you are looking at, no cell phone?
How can you even be here if your 40 year policy is to never purchase anything from China?

Why boycott.. to what gain and is there any loss?
Bob

You do not buy anything from China?
A great idea but how?
No TV in your house, what is the screen you are looking at, no cell phone?
How can you even be here if your 40 year policy is to never purchase anything from China?

Why boycott.. to what gain and is there any loss?
Bob

It's a matter of principle. If you have to ask you probably don't have the capacity to understand.

It's a matter of principle. If you have to ask you probably don't have the capacity to understand.

I have never claimed the capacity to understand.
Yet here .. do we use China to our benefit in low cost consumer goods and milk that cow for all we can or do we shut off that end?
Go there and my friends who get 10 million a year in a bonus will not blink an eye. My friends who make 30,000 per year will get hurt.
Who do you want to help?

It's such an appealing grand idea but so many devils in the woodwork that hurt so many working people here.
Bob

On this subject.......laptops used by US military personnel....where are they made?......what about their families IT gear.....where is that made.....is there any rules ?....Always.....wondered.Maybe not always,

You can frequently hear “you get what you pay for” from the Chinese manufacturer and dealer. Normally, A high price you pay, you can get one with a corresponding high quality. That is china, not all with a quality,but can meet your basic needs.

You can frequently hear “you get what you pay for” from the Chinese manufacturer and dealer. Normally, A high price you pay, you can get one with a corresponding high quality. That is china, not all with a quality,but can meet your basic needs.

Well said. I can not blame "China" for importing cheap crap. I blame the purchaser or the companies for setting a price and then wanting something made to that price point. After all the ignorant masses will only buy something if it is "cheaper" right? :nutter:To me quality is almost always cheaper.
Better to boycot the places that sell and/or import cheap crap, if nobody buys it then there will no longer be a market for it. And if things went really well the companies bringing the crap in go bankrupt or fold.

Delphytech, good to get an actual comment (and on topic), but you're not making a good impression with the tire-related spamming posts (that have so far been blocked). We welcome people from all over the world, but not so they can post a bunch of advertising from the start.

Post some relevant stuff, let people know who you are, then you might slip some posts in about what you sell. But trying it from the beginning doesn't go over well here.

I've seen threads like this on several forums, the folks that reminisce about "the good old days" are often myopic. The buy USA stuff mantra has been beaten to death over the last few years. The reality of it is or was, the US made plenty of crap for years before China and other places started making the crap there. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is pretty accurate, buy some cheap item and, expect it to be just that.

I have a lot of US made tools and equipment mainly because I am old and bought it when they still made the stuff here. Most of my stuff is top line Starrett, Brown& Sharp, Snap-on, Proto etc. The prices for that stuff today is beyond my wildest dreams, when I bought this stuff it was 25~35 maybe 40% higher than a Craftsman or General. I tend to buy a lot of new surplus or NOS stuff online but, I have bought stuff from Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, Northern Tool etc.

That said, I don't have a TV but I do have a few computers and radios. I also have the appliances and consumer goods most people have, not much of that stuff was made in the USA. My phone, fridge and, microwave are Korean, my cars are all German, I do have an American made truck yes it was built in Denton Texas. So a lot of my stuff is not made in China but, much of it is made elsewhere. Then there are the things we don't think about like the space heater or salad spinner that IS made in China. I am also often in rural Kansas where there is no Crate and Barrel or Williams Sonoma to buy that 50.00 pancake flipper. Walmart is but one of the stores that sell primarily imported stock, Home Depot, Lowes, the above mentioned stores and, most of the rest do as well. China is but one of dozens of places the major chains buy from. Is buying a shirt from Bangladesh really any better than buying sneakers from China?

I am not a "value shopper" but, it is nearly impossible to avoid some products from China. Then again, I have a pretty clear idea of what I want before I buy it, with the exception of single use or disposable items. The cheap stuff at Walmart and Target are not where I spend my money. I just don't buy a lot of consumer goods period, Chinese, US or European.

Steve

Lets not degrade this with racial identity politics. Milland you do a lot of the name calling. All that has to be done is to ignore it and move on. Many see race in everything and when you see it here it is like the Flu to a thread.

As a actual topic being maybe just “Racism in “ whatever” . Only then would it be proper and subject to the reason for the site. As a topic it would not stand here it will be closed or deleted. When a thread degrades in such a way I will close it. Anyone can cry till the cows come home about moderation and I will close the thread, edit the individual posts, and delete individual posts.

Lets not degrade this with racial identity politics. Milland you do a lot of the name calling. All that has to be done is to ignore it and move on. Many see race in everything and when you see it here it is like the Flu to a thread.
There was no hiding the racism in this thread, stars and bars bumper stickers are more subtle. Not calling it out is coward compliancy, there is no place for it. This is hate, not heritage or party affiliation.

There was no hiding the racism in this thread, stars and bars bumper stickers are more subtle. Not calling it out is coward compliancy, there is no place for it. This is hate, not heritage or party affiliation.

It can be avoided because it is not the topic. Identity politics throws down a obstacle to reasonable discussion.

Seeing the results of arguing on the off topic topic from endless discussions you can leave the need to participate in the insanity of discussing that topic. Three posts and here we are- just leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back