What's new
What's new

Bridge colapse in China

It looks like a poorly designed bridge fell off its posts when a HEAVY truck drove on it, OOOPS.:eek:
200 tons of power substation being moved with two other trucks behind, on a span designed for 50 tons. Kind of like when a ship runs into a bridge, I s'pose by your thinking it's the bridge designer's fault ...

R.I.P. the 4 dead.
RIP to the 142 who died when the poorly-designed, poorly-built nimitz fell down, too ... OOPS ! Eeek !

Cypress_collapsed.jpg

Shit happens, as they say ...

湖北鄂东大桥公司回应匝道侧翻:事发时大货车载重198吨,超载400%(含视频)_手机新浪网

Just click the arrow in the top frame, can see the thing with about eighty axles and some kind of big transformers ? upside down next to the crash.

200 tons of power substation being moved with two other trucks behind, on a span designed for 50 tons. Kind of like when a ship runs into a bridge, I s'pose by your thinking it's the bridge designer's fault ...

RIP to the 142 who died when the poorly-designed, poorly-built nimitz fell down, too ... OOPS ! Eeek !

Cypress_collapsed.jpg

Shit happens, as they say ...

湖北鄂东大桥公司回应匝道侧翻:事发时大货车载重198吨,超载400%(含视频)_手机新浪网

Just click the arrow in the top frame, can see the thing with about eighty axles and some kind of big transformers ? upside down next to the crash.

and your 50 ton number comes from where?

Could've sworn I heard rumblings of reformulating concrete in the states. That can't be a good thing

After reading several stories on the collapse it looks as though a total lack of coordination resulted in this disaster. Work being done on bridge plus overweight trucks and you have a prescription for disaster.

Here in the USA (which EG hates so much) there would have been coordination among various agencies before such a load could be moved and it likely would have traversed the bridge during off hours after cribbing/temporary supports had been placed to support the bridge against the overload.

No surprise that something like this would happen in a country notorious for shortcuts and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants operations. Do a quick search and you will find many other such disasters caused by this attitude.

Somehow the phrase "Chinese fire drill" comes to mind.

50 ton bridge?

6 lanes?

maybe 100 foot span?

That span would hold 30 cars at least in a traffic jam[100/20x6]
30 3000 pound cars
90000 pounds
45 tons with no semi trucks involved

2 US legal semis without overweight permits[from a quick google] might overload the bridge

While we don't see this much here with newer construction, there are pretty constant bridge issues with oversize loads. One on Rt93 took out an overpass in Medford, what last year?

After the Nimitz collapse, caused by a quake, CAlTRANs spent a lot of time and money tieing down such overpasses. There is no way that should have had the deck separate from the support pillars. That deck would have fallen off in a minor quake. The deck should have pulled the supports out of the ground not left them behind.
Reminds me of the recent tornado damage. Looks like little or no tie downs even in modern buildings?
Bill D.

After reading several stories on the collapse it looks as though a total lack of coordination resulted in this disaster. Work being done on bridge plus overweight trucks and you have a prescription for disaster.

Here in the USA (which EG hates so much) there would have been coordination among various agencies before such a load could be moved and it likely would have traversed the bridge during off hours after cribbing/temporary supports had been placed to support the bridge against the overload.

No surprise that something like this would happen in a country notorious for shortcuts and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants operations. Do a quick search and you will find many other such disasters caused by this attitude.

Somehow the phrase "Chinese fire drill" comes to mind.

I'm sure glad that nothing like that has ever happened in the USA.

And these agencies that you speak of. Are those the ones that your cult boy trump hates so much? Thought so.

Plenty of examples of poor planning and engineering to go around. Plenty of epic examples in the United States.

"The FIGG engineers on site "did not know the reason for the cracks, but still expressed no safety concerns" at the meeting." The Miami pedestrian bridge collapse is an epic example....sure...why not allow traffic to continue UNDER a bridge that is being moved into place showing cracks......

Florida International University pedestrian bridge collapse - Wikipedia

That was a huuuuuuge fuck up
But they have agency coordination in the US, those things can't happen !

Disasters do happen. People screw up. Snotty comments are fine, I guess, but the same thing comes back when it's your turn in the barrel. And Bill D, yeah, Caltrans did a whole bunch of reinforcing after Loma Prieta, then the next one down in LA was different and they lost another bunch of freeways due to the motion being different. From the description, this section was supported on rubber pads, something like the Japanese do for earthquake resistance, and then the sections are connected together with a grid that allows movement, but this substation was over four times the designed load.

50 ton bridge?

6 lanes?

maybe 100 foot span?

That span would hold 30 cars at least in a traffic jam[100/20x6]
30 3000 pound cars
90000 pounds
45 tons with no semi trucks involved

2 US legal semis without overweight permits[from a quick google] might overload the bridge

While we don't see this much here with newer construction, there are pretty constant bridge issues with oversize loads. One on Rt93 took out an overpass in Medford, what last year?

From the picture it looks like it's a two-lane overpass with a shoulder. I am not a bridgeologist, but it seems like nearly any engineered structure can be tipped over through negligence. So it was designed for 50 ton normal loading, and had some 4x safety margin, but that got exceeded by one overloaded semi. What if it were double the rating ? Well, that just means somebody would eventually run TWO overloaded semis at the same time, and it would collapse at a later point :) And yeah, looks like it's just one of the vehicles was 198t, there were other vehicles present on the overpass at the same time, so total load was in excess of 200t.

4 dead, 8 injured in ramp bridge tilt in C.China’s Hubei, allegedly due to serious overloading - Global Times

One loaded truck and a few cars and the bridge is overloaded?? I'm on the same page a gustfson on this one.
One 40 T truck takes up 80 feet and is distributed over at least five axles. You can't get it all in one spot, like this did. Stress per square foot is the difference, but newspapers don't normally go into a Materials 101 description of the mechanics involved.

steve-i said:
and your 50 ton number comes from where?
The link you quoted :D

I'm puzzled what an overloaded bridge and subsequent "colapse," killing four in China, has to do with manufacturing in America and Europe?

Back