What's new
What's new

"Briggs & Stratton files for bankruptcy protection"

So "Bricks & Scrap Iron" isn't doing so well, eh?

Doesn't disturb me, I always hated their engines. Give me a Honda, Kawasaki or Kohler any day.

Here we go - just the beginning of the economic fallout.

From the story you linked ....

"Briggs & Stratton joins other large companies — many of them in the retail and energy sectors — that have filed for bankruptcy in recent months."

"Briggs was losing money and burdened by large debts when the economic downturn caused by the coronavirus pandemic hit."

Reading the rest of the article it sounds as if the company, which has more than half of the engine market for residential outdoor power equipment, was losing sales due to a combination of factors including declining use of outdoor power equipment by residential users, increased preference by such users for battery powered equipment, and a final hit caused by the coronavirus shutdowns. As our population ages many older homeowners hire landscapers and many of the younger folk have no desire for yard maintenance.

I theink we will be reading many such stories in the coming year.

So "Bricks & Scrap Iron" isn't doing so well, eh?

Doesn't disturb me, I always hated their engines. Give me a Honda, Kawasaki or Kohler any day.

They have served me well. I have two of their engines running fine on an 8 year old lawn tractor and a 15 year old pressure washer. On a lighter note the last Kohler I had threw a rod after being used once a week to mow a half acre in the first year I owned it.

Meh. Sad for any company to fail.. but I have a strong distain for their engine designs.. Honda small engines have pretty much taken the entire small engine market.

I bought a "Little Wonder" leaf blower used, very low miles, nice shape.

8hp B&S "Industrial" engine with "Cast Iron cylinder liner".

The plastic fuel tank on front (maybe all of 1 quart) cracked, and a new one was $80.

I made a bracket, found a used tank, and fastened it onto the handlebars.

Next year, starts puking oil and quits after 5 seconds.

I remove said dud engine, and look at a Subaru 9hp that I bought when our local HarborFreight
store opened up (a good 7 years ago)
New, still in the box, sitting on a shelf in my garage (unheated)

I found the "Litle Wonder" blowers now come from the factory with said Subaroo.

It bolted right up, and runs great. The attached tank is metal, and works fine.

Neighbors riding mower has some morphdite B&S engine, the compression release part on the cam broke.

Total tear down to change it. Much money for part.

Didn't last qty (1) mowing season, broke again.

How many people are removing broken B&S engines, and replacing them with HF "Chonda" engines ?

That 22 hp twin looks just the ticket to repower the neighbors mower, and it will bump up the HP as
well.

They have served me well. I have two of their engines running fine on an 8 year old lawn tractor and a 15 year old pressure washer. On a lighter note the last Kohler I had threw a rod after being used once a week to mow a half acre in the first year I owned it.

Current mower has a B&S engine with the Easy Start feature. No choke, priming, or other fuss. Just squeeze the safety lever and pull. Always starts in a couple of pulls and runs beautifully. I could have bought three of these for the price of a Honda.

Reading the rest of the article it sounds as if the company, which has more than half of the engine market for residential outdoor power equipment, was losing sales due to a combination of factors including declining use of outdoor power equipment by residential users, increased preference by such users for battery powered equipment, and a final hit caused by the coronavirus shutdowns. As our population ages many older homeowners hire landscapers and many of the younger folk have no desire for yard maintenance.

1. The square footage of yards to be mowed has not changed with the pandemic, nor much overall for several years. Lawns are still getting mowed.
2. Professional landscapers do not buy B&S.

Current mower has a B&S engine with the Easy Start feature. No choke, priming, or other fuss. Just squeeze the safety lever and pull. Always starts in a couple of pulls and runs beautifully. I could have bought three of these for the price of a Honda.

I suspect width so many different engine designs, some prove to be good value, whilst others are real stinkers.

I also noticed the small parts used on newer B&S sure appear to be of Chinese origin.

I suspect width so many different engine designs, some prove to be good value, whilst others are real stinkers.

I also noticed the small parts used on newer B&S sure appear to be of Chinese origin.

Commodity product most probably built to a price point for mass marketing.

Produce snow blowers the summer and lawn mowers in the winter to stack the cheap and high at mass merchandisers.

Consumer decides just like opting for a Chinese caliper over whatever is the top of the line pro grade measuring device.

Edit to include product brands: Briggs & Stratton®, Simplicity®, Snapper®, Ferris®, Vanguard®, Allmand®, Billy Goat®, Murray®, Branco® and Victa® brands.

The Chinese Predator motors, which are direct Honda copies are leaps and bounds better. Amazed they lasted this long... my grandpa's log splitter still has a Techumseh on it. If they hadn't gone out years ago they would probably get cancelled now with their racist logo.

Sounds like another American manufacturer has fallen victim to the fallacy that a "Made in USA" sticker will sell their stuff for them. As I've said before, IMO we should buy our own stuff to support our country, but in turn the manufacturer is still obligated to fill the markets needs. If they want to make budget motors in the USA, they're going to have to sell them accordingly, and I guarantee the folks shopping at the box stores are not buying American brands because they're economy lines, and the following disappointment is where the reputation goes down the tube.

Commodity product most probably built to a price point for mass marketing.

Produce snow blowers the summer and lawn mowers in the winter to stack the cheap and high at mass merchandisers.

Consumer decides just like opting for a Chinese caliper over whatever is the top of the line pro grade measuring device.

Edit to include product brands: Briggs & Stratton®, Simplicity®, Snapper®, Ferris®, Vanguard®, Allmand®, Billy Goat®, Murray®, Branco® and Victa® brands.

Are you a B&S employee ?

I mean that they make so many different engine types, the common vertical shaft 3.5 hp lawnmower engine,
horizontal shaft designs of many types up to v-twins.

I don't see much commonality between them.

The Chinese Predator motors, which are direct Honda copies are leaps and bounds better. Amazed they lasted this long... my grandpa's log splitter still has a Techumseh on it. If they hadn't gone out years ago they would probably get cancelled now with their racist logo.

Gone in 2008, I had no idea they weren't around anymore. I do remember the name.

Are you a B&S employee ?

I mean that they make so many different engine types, the common vertical shaft 3.5 hp lawnmower engine,
horizontal shaft designs of many types up to v-twins.

I don't see much commonality between them.

No not an employee. To be honest have not had to start a lawn mower or push one around for years now. Better things to do with my time.

Just an interest for the company that once had a great presence in Wisconsin along with a whole bunch of other engine manufacturers.

No not an employee. To be honest have not had to start a lawn mower or push one around for years now. Better things to do with my time.

Just an interest for the company that once had a great presence in Wisconsin along with a whole bunch of other engine manufacturers.

And they are doing what all the other "once great" manuf's doo....stagnate.

Makes Me Sad.

I did purchase two lawn mowers this year and opted not to buy Briggs. Although they were my first choice, they came out with a 'Never Change the Oil' gimmick. And none with a drain plug was available. This both disheartened and annoyed me. I took the initiative to give them some feedback. I let them know what I thought of this gimmick and that I would consider Briggs again when they put a drain plug back on their engines.

Now with the new ownership it will probably devolve into something less than it was. Shame.

Best Regards,
Bob

So, recently, I was looking for a decent power washer. I didn't want the usual suspects with motors like B&S and others. The big box stores all sell cheap products. As in cheap looking too. I found Generac on-line and found they were made in the US and the motors are made by Generac. We have a huge generator in back of our building made by Generac with a Ford 351 Windsor for a motor. I decided to give them a shot. This unit seems very well made, started on the first pull and every pull after that. I really like this thing. Very high ratings too, for a unit that costs a little over 300$. Now, I find they are owned by B&S. Not made by them, just owned. Supposedly, the motors are still built by Generac but how do you tell anymore. Now I wonder if they will be around.

Paul

Back