Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    If it's that much work to change the oil I'm gonna cancel my order to buy one.
    Not sure why anyone would buy one. They are outright ugly. And not in an endearing way ...

2. Likes Bobw, TedinNorfolk liked this post
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jonok View Post
    Any decent A&P wouldn't be caught dead with an impact tool within 10 feet of an airplane worth 1/10th of that Bugatti

I apparently had the wrong part time job in high school.

Parenthetically, wouldn't one think that there would be a service manual so that Guido at "The Supercar Shop" wouldn't need to make a video up on his own?
    Perhaps on little spam can airplanes, on airplanes that cost 10 or 20 time the price of that dolled up Audi they use impact tools every day. I have to say, the guy makes big bucks renting the car out and, it IS his so he feels the time spent was worth it. Not my choice of cars but, I guess I'll never have to worry about it anyway.

The guy owns the car, he wants play mechanic more power to him, as he said, the next time it will be much faster. I could find fault with what they did, so what, they got it done.

I have a vacuum oil extractor I use on my cars and trucks, they work great on engines designed to be suctioned. The Bugatti seems to be a service nightmare, personally I like the Zonda's good old Mercedes engines I am comfortable with. Italian sports cars just seem to require a lot of effort to maintain, pulling the engine to change plugs is real common.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For a cost of a few million I would expect the factory to plumb in a electric oil pump just to drain the oil. Make it a 120 volt pump so no accidents on the road. It really should be a 12 volt pump and pressurize the oil system before the starter motor engages.
    On my wifes Ford Escape the easy way to change the automatic transmission fluid is to drain out the 4? quarts that draining will remove. replace the drain plug and add 7 quarts.
    Disconnect the line out of the transmission cooler and run the engine to pump out 3 more quarts. stop and add 2 quarts, then seal it back up and top up as needed.
    My quarts and number of drains and refills may be off but you get the idea.
    Bill D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Not sure why anyone would buy one. They are outright ugly. And not in an endearing way ...
    I bought mine so that everybody would look at me as I drive past. The only thing wrong with the car is how cheap a service is.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    I bought mine so that everybody would look at me as I drive past. The only thing wrong with the car is how cheap a service is.
    Could you get a C Jag for that kind of money ? People would still look and you'd have a pretty car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Could you get a C Jag for that kind of money ? People would still look and you'd have a pretty car.
    that is also true but you see plenty of Jags but only my Veyron, MINE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Someone dumping 21k on a Bugatti oil change, is comparable to me dumping 50$ bucks on my Tacoma.

9. Likes NAST555, pressbrake1, toolsteel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't look up what a set of tires costs... not to mention the fact that you have to ship the wheels to France to get them installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From time to time, the Velocity Channel on Dish Network has a series on building cars like the Bugatti, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce and the like. They all have one thing in common; they are incredibly complex and expensive and are much more closely related to aircraft manufacture than automotive.

With that, the issue of maintainability becomes almost incredibly difficult as can be seen in the video of the Bugatti.

Also. repair parts are incredibly expensive. I used to enjoy looking up the prices of parts for this sort of vehicle. The last price I saw on a Lamborghini cylinder head, either side, was something like $31,000. ()

These cars are not for mere mortals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What do you expect, even the regular Volkswagens need a special oil drain wrench. Why would their more expensive models be any easier to change oil on?
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill D; 07-19-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    To get access to the air filters.
    Nope, to access the rear brakes.

OOops. Nope, that's an E-type jag.

Sorry for the confustion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats one ugly car-I'll stick to my Nissan truck! Easier to change the oil,too!

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Directions written on the heel (skip the first two minutes, boring) ...

to change the oil, turn it over

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TedinNorfolk View Post
    Thats one ugly car-I'll stick to my Nissan truck! Easier to change the oil,too!
    yeah, I was thinking of getting one to, but the grill just didn't do it for me.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No luggage space either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If we could get a set of prints, we could probably build our own for a lot less money. And solve the oil change problem. Which reminds me of an old joke-

An engineer dies and reports to the Pearly Gates. Saint Peter checks his dossier and, not seeing his name there, accidentally sends him to Hell. It doesn’t take long before the engineer becomes rather dissatisfied with the level of comfort in Hell. He soon begins to design and build improvements. Shortly thereafter, Hell has air conditioning, flush toilets and escalators. Needless to say, the engineer is a pretty popular guy. One day, God calls Satan and says with a sneer: “So, how are things in Hell?” Satan replies: “Hey, things are going great. We’ve got air conditioning, flush toilets, and escalators. And there’s no telling what this engineer is going to come up with next.” “What!” God exclaims: “You’ve got an engineer? That’s a mistake — he should never have been sent to Hell… send him to me.” “Not a chance,” Satan replies: “I like having an engineer on the staff, and I’m keeping him!” God insists: “Send him back or I’ll sue.” Satan laughs uproariously and answers: “Yeah, right. And where are you going to get a lawyer?”

19. Likes Bobw, PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A set of tires is $42K, but I guess that does include mounting and balancing

And the wheels are only good for 2 sets of tires due to something to do with integrity of the bead seat. So, with every other set of tires, you also buy a new set of wheels at $68K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In California that 42K for a set of tires does not include the disposal fee($1.75 per tire) so you have to add that. The sales tax on 42K might buy a decent used car.
    Bill D.

22. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You think that's fun...

Listen to what McLaren F1 ownership costs are like. Change tires? McLaren wants you to rent a racetrack:

How Crazy Expensive Is It to Maintain a McLaren F1? - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suspect if it did not cost outrageous amounts of $ to maintain it......those with the $ would not buy it. Half the fun, I am sure, is being able to brag to "Spencer" and "Margo" how much it cost for a simple oil change. And / or for everyone who is "in the know" to realize how much $ you have by simply looking at your vehicle.
    As far as I am concerned.....they should jack up the price.