Business practices in the USA. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Years ago I was having troubles with a Stanadyne injector pump, local repair shops would not provide any info and just wanted me to bring it in for a rebuild for $1200. I was pretty sure it did not need a rebuild, it just needed a part replaced, and I just needed to know how to get it apart, requests to look at the shop manuals were always responded to by "that is proprietary information". I finally called Stanadyne directly and got a service guy that new what I needed, he said they actually sold a manual for that pump and gave me the part number for it and said local repair shop could order it for me with that part number. Called repair shop, and again they said "no, it is proprietary information". Called the guy at Stanadyne back and he said "BS, I'll send you one for free".

2. Likes atomarc, Bobw, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    A perfect example of the damage a distributor with an exclusive territory can do to a manufacturer's sales. Doug, if you haven't already, it's time to call US Shop Tools. Nobody can beat them for soft jaws, endmill holders or pull studs, and their paper catalog is quick and easy to use.
    Every set of soft jaws I own, save one set, has come from US Shop Tools. I had a job pop up where I needed a set of jaws overnight, so I ordered them from MSC at about twice USST's price.

I had no problem with the MSC price as I figure anyone can set whatever price they like. What I didn't like was the fact that I spent about an hour deburring the damn things with a triangle file before they'd seat properly on the master jaws.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Years ago I was having troubles with a Stanadyne injector pump, local repair shops would not provide any info and just wanted me to bring it in for a rebuild for $1200. I was pretty sure it did not need a rebuild, it just needed a part replaced, and I just needed to know how to get it apart, requests to look at the shop manuals were always responded to by "that is proprietary information". I finally called Stanadyne directly and got a service guy that new what I needed, he said they actually sold a manual for that pump and gave me the part number for it and said local repair shop could order it for me with that part number. Called repair shop, and again they said "no, it is proprietary information". Called the guy at Stanadyne back and he said "BS, I'll send you one for free".
    LOL! had a similar problem when Signetics-pioneered packaged "three terminal (Voltage) regulators" were brand-new. Got to finding one real-world means after another of blowing them up, what with solenoids and motors among loads on the output.

Got to know the Product Engineer rather well over phone and fax. His solutions to our chats soon expanded the LM series data sheet to an extra page. On it? The reverse-mode fast-switching protective diodes we had found to work so well! Not new ground for him. He just hadn't realized how many new applications his Voltage Regulator would open-up at it's modest cost.

One can work with these folks, any size company, if only you can FIND a way to contact them.

Most of them actually DO know their s**t, and also give a damn about heading-off small problems before they grow into bigger problems.

Part of what secures THEIR paycheck too, after all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I got a new VMC recently (Hurco) my dealer said I can get a steep discount with some partnering tool companies for a large, one time tooling up purchase. I try and contact the local tool rep (major brand) a few weeks before I take delivery of the VMC. He gets back to me around the time I had the machine delivered. I give him the list of what I need to start - probably 25+ Cat 40 endmill holders, boring bar, facemills, etc. He finally gets back weeks later with the "discounted" price. Not only had I already had the machine tooled up and running with a bunch of stuff from Maritool and MSC, the MSC prices were less than the 50% "discount" the direct sales rep was selling. I know I am small potatoes compared to some other customers, but its still like $4-5k of tooling. I don't get it.....