UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I simply don't want my money supporting things done in Kalifornia:
    The point is .. "your money" isn't supporting "things done in California" near as much as the money of California taxpayers is supporting "things done in Pennsylvania".

The "average" California resident sends $348 more in taxes TO the Federal black-hole than is returned in Federally-sourced benefits.

The "average" Pennsylvania resident receives $2,261 more in benefits FROM the Fed than they send in taxes.

Fair certain the numbers here are imperfect- nature of the source, which is far short of 100% trustworthy. Far short.

But they are not so terribly far wrong that there is NOT an imbalance:

Federal taxes vs. federal benefits: how much each state gives and gets - Business Insider

"Do your own due diligence", but recognize that the price of political damage to the country becoming more akin to the Kalifornikyah SSR - social problems, debt problems, energy mis-management, problems, and all-else bad-management and suicidally destructive politics nasty, is far the greater risk than loss of their money.

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was born in Cali almost 60 years ago and did not escape for good until I was 50. I always lived in So Cal. It is an easy assumption that all the liberals in here that worship that liberal cesspool did not have a first hand view of how that state went down hill over the last half century that I did. Taxes and government fees kept climbing while at the same time many areas started looking like 3rd world countries. Poorly maintained roads, vacant lots used as trash and toxic waste dumps, with no areas sparred from gang graffiti no matter how far out in the sticks you lived. That is what you see if you live or lived there, not how the place is portrayed on the mostly liberal national news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I'm up for having California go back to being a republic.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    Yes, Larry, you seem like a fine upstanding conservative person, I figured you'd just build an Ark:
    YouTube

The rest can tread water....along with the homeless crapping in the streets....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    So am I!

The State has long-since become too populous, too diverse, to unwieldy to govern, present system.

Be aware it would probably split itself into at least THREE entities, though.

Which MIGHT work, even if done within the present Federal framework?

See "Old Dominion".

More US states than NOT were once part of the all the way to the Pacific Virginia grant.

More recently and realistically, several adjacent states - clear to Plymouth Bay Colony and in-between - are in "modern" records as being spun-out from former territory of the Old Dominion or even more-recent Virginia. WEST By God Virginia the most-recent, but by no means the first.

Things as no longer work.. are meant to be corrected, our business, our family, OR our State and Federal structures.

Nothing NEW about that. Adapting has been our "standard operating procedure", 1604 onward.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

Be aware it would probably split itself into at least THREE entities, though.

Which MIGHT work, even if done within the present Federal framework?
    Jefferson here we come!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

The point is .. "your money" isn't supporting "things done in California" near as much as the money of California taxpayers is supporting "things done in Pennsylvania".

The "average" California resident sends $348 more in taxes TO the Federal black-hole than is returned in Federally-sourced benefits.

The "average" Pennsylvania resident receives $2,261 more in benefits FROM the Fed than they send in taxes.

Fair certain the numbers here are imperfect- nature of the source, which is far short of 100% trustworthy. Far short.

But they are not so terribly far wrong that there is NOT an imbalance:

Federal taxes vs. federal benefits: how much each state gives and gets - Business Insider
    I'm sorry but I don't believe those numbers.

Pa has the highest gas taxes in the nation, because we are not getting enough federal tax money "back" (funny how it's our own money in the first place)

Kalifornia, has wonderful roads, at least the ones not shat upon by homeless wack jobs.

Even with the highest road taxes, still our roads are "sub-par".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

California really should be split into 3 different entities as each area is vastly different from the other. In fact maybe it should be split 4 ways. Just divide it top to bottom in 3rds but extract the SF bar area and make it around the size of Road Island and call it Liberal Cesspool Island as that is what it is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    California really should be split into 3 different entities as each area is vastly different from the other. In fact maybe it should be split 4 ways. Just divide it top to bottom in 3rds but extract the SF bar area and make it around the size of Road Island and call it Liberal Cesspool Island as that is what it is.
    With a 30' high barbed wire DMZ ? Landmines too ?

Oh please, please, please...I would help fund that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With a 30' high barbed wire DMZ ? Landmines too ?

Oh please, please, please...I would help fund that.
    I haven't watched Escape From LA in years. I need to see if I can find it.

12. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry but I don't believe those numbers.

Pa has the highest gas taxes in the nation, because we are not getting enough federal tax money "back" (funny how it's our own money in the first place)

Kalifornia, has wonderful roads, at least the ones not shat upon by homeless wack jobs.

Even with the highest road taxes, still our roads are "sub-par".
    Federal taxes, not state. I belive federal gas taxes are all the same in every state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    One option for a battery starter on my gravely tractor was 120 D cell batteries in a box. This was just after the great war before many folks had power to the farm.
    Ha! Guess what Verizon uses TODAY as backup power for legacy phone lines converted to fiber?

12 D cells in a box with a switch. They call it a "PowerReserve" device. They use it instead of the more expensive rechargeable Battery Back Unit (BBU) for the POTs customers they migrated to fiber.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Federal taxes, not state. I belive federal gas taxes are all the same in every state.
    Please go back, and reread my post.

the federal portion and other federal taxes, aint coming in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Dualkit;3436088]California really should be split into 3 different entities...

Yeah that would work for texas too. Each texan would get what, 100 square miles. We could put barbed
    wire fencing between each piece, double at the outside perimeters. Nobody and nothing in or out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    California really should be split into 3 different entities...
    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Yeah that would work for texas too. Each texan would get what, 100 square miles. We could put barbed
    wire fencing between each piece, double at the outside perimeters. Nobody and nothing in or out.
    Still f***king up simple PM quoting and you presume to "mess with Texas?"

"Think globally, act locally" ever come to mind?

MURDER yer azz for even "peeking" in Nova Cork ("peekskill" izzat?) tell yah anything about remote-control "BUY-ASS"?

F****ked up State, Nove Cork be.

Bigtime, even!

Criticise the Kalifornikyah SSR? Yah Surely.

Stalin blaming Mao for inventing fatal famines, izzat?

"Blue" states. God must have lov..?

Nah. God must have been a vicious Sadist, more likely?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post

We've been trying that for years, at least on the southern bit, but you yankees keep calling it racist and heartless and blah blah blah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Demise" is home-grown, not external. It isn't the observers nor the messengers causing it. Y'all are simply getting what you asked for. Your right and privilege, that.

Sitting "on top" of a mountain of debt . . .

Folks don't hate-on California.

We mourn it.
    FWIW, Texas (our 2nd largest state by GDP) has a larger state and local debt than California: State Debt Ranking Percent GDP for 2020 - Charts

Bill, used to be we citizens took pride in all our states -- and aimed to speak and write plain English when sharing that pride. Might want to try it?

20. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    FWIW, Texas (our 2nd largest state by GDP) has a larger state and local debt than California: State Debt Ranking Percent GDP for 2020 - Charts

Bill, used to be we citizens took pride in all our states -- and aimed to speak and write plain English when sharing that pride. Might want to try it?
    State wise Texas is one of the lowest. It's all these stupid city mayors and their little pet projects killing us softly. Fort Worth you have the idiotic Trinity River Project and Panther Island. Dallas built that overpriced bridge to the ghetto hoping to drive off the underclass. (unsuccessful) All with dreams of being the next (cultural) California.

22. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post

Might even find benefit in trying to UNDERSTAND it?

Not that it matters. You be every bit as self-fornicated as a Singer sewing-machine hammer-down, at full-gallop off the back of yer own self-imposed blindness, regardless.

History will sort that. Not you or I, either one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might even find benefit in trying to UNDERSTAND it?

Not that it matters. You be every bit as self-fornicated as a Singer sewing-machine hammer-down, at full-gallop off the back of yer own self-imposed blindness, regardless.

History will sort that. Not you or I, either one.
    Even your classless insults are incoherent. Go away. Now.

25. Likes Greg White liked this post