California Power Outages - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    State wise Texas is one of the lowest. It's all these stupid city mayors and their little pet projects killing us softly. Fort Worth you have the idiotic Trinity River Project and Panther Island. Dallas built that overpriced bridge to the ghetto hoping to drive off the underclass. (unsuccessful) . . . .
    Fair enough. But when a state doesn't provide services (schools, fire, police, roads, sewers, etc . etc.) that citizens want, the cities and towns pick up the slack. California, at the state level, doesn't even rank in the top half of state debtors as a % of GDP. We certainly have politicians, like most places, trying to offer bennies to their voters without disclosing the debt and consequences for the next generation. Example #1 would be the huge debts (both on the books and off) we're now racking up at the Federal level.

My opinion -- if we spent less time in the equivalent of a bar fight (turning around and attacking who's ever in front of you or fingered on MSNBC or Fox) and more time governing (local-state-national) from a greater sense of common cause and real ROI -- we'd be way better off.

Been said a long time: united we stand, divided we fall.

2. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Example #1 would be the huge debts (both on the books and off) we're now racking up at the Federal level."

Indeed. Last time we had a nearly balanced federal budget was Bill Clinton.

Republicans: The party of deficit.

4. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    "Example #1 would be the huge debts (both on the books and off) we're now racking up at the Federal level."

The United States of America has the Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve is backed up by nothing. As long as it's just numbers in the checkbook, doesn't matter.

If China ever decides to call in its markers for all the money the USA owes them, they can have California, Oregon, and Washington states.

But China may have to fight Mexico for ownership of California because I think the Mexicans already have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to Democrat mythology, but not according to official U.S. Treasury figures.

7. Likes SND, shpxnvz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I was born in Cali almost 60 years ago ...
    You were born in Peru ? Neat place. I knew a Peruvian lady who cooked a great turkey smothered in red onions .... tasted a lot better than it sounds

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathogen View Post
    The United States of America has the Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve is backed up by nothing. As long as it's just numbers in the checkbook, doesn't matter.
    Good point. So its A-OK for democrats to spend as much as they want on social programs. Got it!

10. Likes Pathogen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    You were born in Peru ? Neat place. I knew a Peruvian lady who cooked a great turkey smothered in red onions .... tasted a lot better than it sounds
    ROFL! All that proves is you have no taste EVEN IN your mouth!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good point. So its A-OK for democrats to spend as much as they want on social programs. Got it!
    Fool. This is how they "con" us! Taking turn-about at the "blame game" setting folks to war so they don't LOOK at the crooks whilst the kinky-f**kery is active!

Money is GONE, debt remains.

D'you think it makes a damned bit of difference Ripofflicans stole it, Dumbasscraps gave it away, or BOTH sides wasted it?

Gone is gone, regardless.

New Hampshire used to have the same sort of solution the frugal Swiss do.

Town meeting, free lunch for all citizens seemed a socially righteous idea, they'd vote for it.

FUNDING, however was kept for a separate vote, back in the day.

Next item on the agenda was to fund the free lunch just voted.

Sorry, We have no money for that. No funds were voted AT ALL.

Folks got to go home feeling all righteous and social-minded.

And could still afford to feed themselves.

Not even any money flow for government to "administer", parasitize, steal, or waste

13. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife and I are in the process of moving our shop from Northern California to Northern Idaho. We are going to trade 4 months of way too hot for 4 months of way too cold but winter is our busy time and we spend it in the shop anyhow. When PG&E turned off our power a week ago Saturday I got in the truck and went to Idaho and turned on the machine we have there and went back to making parts.Our California shop has a 30 kw solar aray but it is grid tied and goes down with everyone else, we have a generator that will run single phase stuff so my wife stayed and did some deburring, bookwork and shipping of orders.
    My pickup was due for registration and California will only allow you to take vehicals off their books after they send out a renewal so we are having to do them one at a time, my pickup was $850. in ca. and is $115 in Idaho including new plates. State farm insurance is exactly half price for the same coverage per vehical. The friendly people we encounter is like turning the clock back 50 years to when I was a kid compared to our small northern ca. small town. When I left ca. on Saturday diesel was $4.35 and here it is $3.04. I don't have the power bills in hand but electricity is around 8 cents a kw as opposed to 28 cents. Vegetables cost a bit more in Idaho and a fewer are available. I understand that California may have an "exit tax" for businesses leaving the state before I can complete the move, ain't that special? I think someone also mentioned that California is mandating Californians buy electric cars yet can't supply reliable power. It is also my understanding that it is the PUC ( public utilities commision ) that is responsible for the shut downs rather than PG&E.

15. Likes Pathogen, shpxnvz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    My wife and I are in the process of moving our shop from Northern California to Northern Idaho. We are going to trade 4 months of way too hot for 4 months of way too cold but winter is our busy time and we spend it in the shop anyhow. When PG&E turned off our power a week ago Saturday I got in the truck and went to Idaho and turned on the machine we have there and went back to making parts.Our California shop has a 30 kw solar aray but it is grid tied and goes down with everyone else, we have a generator that will run single phase stuff so my wife stayed and did some deburring, bookwork and shipping of orders.
    My pickup was due for registration and California will only allow you to take vehicals off their books after they send out a renewal so we are having to do them one at a time, my pickup was $850. in ca. and is $115 in Idaho including new plates. State farm insurance is exactly half price for the same coverage per vehical. The friendly people we encounter is like turning the clock back 50 years to when I was a kid compared to our small northern ca. small town. When I left ca. on Saturday diesel was $4.35 and here it is $3.04. I don't have the power bills in hand but electricity is around 8 cents a kw as opposed to 28 cents. Vegetables cost a bit more in Idaho and a fewer are available. I understand that California may have an "exit tax" for businesses leaving the state before I can complete the move, ain't that special? I think someone also mentioned that California is mandating Californians buy electric cars yet can't supply reliable power. It is also my understanding that it is the PUC ( public utilities commision ) that is responsible for the shut downs rather than PG&E.
    You are in deep, deep, DEEP shit, now!

Idaho has a Ripofflican "super majority", not Communist.

You may have just DOOMED yourself to a higher quality of life at lower cost, the rest of your life and NOT be able to blame all the shit that no longer goes wrong on some other citizen!

Good on yah for the courage to stand up to such a terrible burden.

Personal responsibility.

Ain't life a bitch?

PS: Find an Asian market. Korean-owned, usually. The variety of vegetables available from all over the planet - our "usual suspects" as well as exotic - will knock your socks clear off yer feet.

17. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Santa Ana winds this week in Southern California were the strongest in 10 years. They were hurricane force so of course the fires spread. Kind of like blaming Florida when a hurricane hits for not being better prepared ed. For some reason the Kincaid fire winds did not get much mention they were 85 MPh sustained with gusts to 102 MPH at times.
    Bill D.

I have to laugh when New York gets less then a foot of snow and shuts down. They really need to get lessons from Califonia on how to handle snow. When I hear the numbers I usually think they mean feet and then realize they mean only inches. Our friends in Truckee California got about 50' last year.

19. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The Santa Ana winds this week in Southern California were the strongest in 10 years. They were hurricane force so of course the fires spread. Kind of like blaming Florida when a hurricane hits for not being better prepared ed. For some reason the Kincaid fire winds did not get much mention they were 85 MPh sustained with gusts to 102 MPH at times.
    Bill D.
    Your focus on "blaming" is the core of the California problem.

Anything that can be "blamed" only happens to someone else?
    Or isn't allowed to happen at all according to Proposition Numbah wotsit?

F**k that.

Burnt-out, darked out, taxed out, or dead-broke and homeless'ed out, the wise don't give any more damn about "blame" than the fire, loss of food and earnings, loss of a home and/or a business or job did.

Going gets tough, the tough get going.

21. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Going gets tough, the tough get going.
    We can only hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Glad you could escape California, I left in 2011. I don't think I will even go back to visit. At least you lived in No Cal which is 100% better than living in So Cal where I did.

24. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why do they call it fire season, when it should be called arson season? Most fires are either deliberately set or caused by an act of stupidity.

26. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Why do they call it fire season, when it should be called arson season? Most fires are either deliberately set or caused by an act of stupidity.
    burn-baby-burn.jpg
    ..………………………………...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are in deep, deep, DEEP shit, now!

Idaho has a Ripofflican "super majority", not Communist.

You may have just DOOMED yourself to a higher quality of life at lower cost, the rest of your life and NOT be able to blame all the shit that no longer goes wrong on some other citizen!

Good on yah for the courage to stand up to such a terrible burden.

Personal responsibility.

Ain't life a bitch?

PS: Find an Asian market. Korean-owned, usually. The variety of vegetables available from all over the planet - our "usual suspects" as well as exotic - will knock your socks clear off yer feet.

Yes, if you can get past the live eels and such littering the places! And the stench

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Yes, if you can get past the live eels and such littering the places! And the stench
    LOL! Snooty city kids as never slaughtered hogs, plucked chickens, butchered beeves, nor dressed-out Venison.... let alone rabbit, Whistle-pig, squirrels, fish, nor snake..

You do NOT really want to know what goes on behind that steak, burger, hot dog, chik'n, ham nor TURKEY sammich - and for God's sake not the shrimp - you had from a US food outlet or your local supermart.

Hint: Farmed chickens avoid eating each other's feces. Farmed turkeys ain't smart nor fastidious enough to give a damn, make no such distinction.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.
    Turkey?

NB: Shock value. Kid brother. teasing over family enjoying a table-groaning Thanksgiving dinner, Turkey, ham, standing-rib, and seafood.

Pontifical pronouncement as he raises a toast:

"Savage eaters of carrion, all here. Boasting at our good fortune as we consume the aged mortal remains of unfortunate animals, far too long dead!"

My response? "Perhaps. But the buggers fight BACK too hard if you try to eat them ALIVE!"

No joke!

Twice, we've had the experience wherein a paper sack was lifted out of a plastic bag from an Asian "wet" market. Wet bottom of the sack dropped out, one case a mess of crawdads, the other blue crabs.

Escapees went scurrying hither and yon, kitchen, hallway, stairwell, and dining area adjacent, pincers raised in defense. A posse was formed at once, and a laughing hunt ensued.

Adults and kids alike swarming after them with food tongs, chopsticks, and skilled bare hands to round 'em up and into the sink for a wash and brush-up before off into the wok or steamer pot!

Enjoy your food. It would do your the same favour, had it but gotten first dibs.

You'd have to know crustaceans.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL! ...You'd have to know crustaceans.

Haha, I know crustaceans.

This pic- I had a couple King Crab in the livewell with some Dungies.

Next morning, I had a couple King Crab. Apparently they like Dungies too...

fish-crab.jpg

31. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Haha, I know crustaceans.

This pic- I had a couple King Crab in the livewell with some Dungies.

Next morning, I had a couple King Crab. Apparently they like Dungies too...

fish-crab.jpg
    Yah well. Hexapodidea are as good as ever it GETS at BEING "King" crab, at least as far back as the Paleocene epoch.

That said, ever you HIRE one, don't expect the otherwise competent critter to hold a half thou on a diameter even twice running.

You'd have to know machinists..